Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cell Phones...what ya got? (Read 246 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Cell Phones...what ya got?
Reply #15 - 05/11/11 at 11:04:34

Just get a cheap, used, Motorola Razr phone and take it to a T-mobile shop for a sim card and no monthly plan.  The card will run you 50 bucks or so, and should come with 250 minutes to get you started.  Then buy T-mobile refill cards off Ebay or Pinzoo.  The 1000-minute refill is about $95 and that will last you a year if you're not too gabby.. works out to 7~8 bucks a month.

I was pleasantly surprised after I lost my phone one time (flew off on the road somewhere) and bought a new one from newegg, took it to the same T-mobile shop and they gave me a new sim card, same phone number and everything, no charge, and I reclaimed the 600 minutes that were left on the old card.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #16 - 05/11/11 at 11:17:10

...as Boule’tard said:

I too have an old but, very capable (and kinda bricky) Nokia N95
with a tmobile pay-as-you-go sim card, works fine for me
and $20 credit last forever, specially if you call no one
and just let others call you.   Cheesy  

BTW, it's VERY important to "reprogram" your web-browsing
settings, this way your phone cannot "decide" to suddenly
connect to your service provider's signal and drain your credit;
now you can only connect to wifi hotspots or your home network.

Cool

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 05/11/11 at 11:44:24

Mot tundra - has rubber seals and gaskets all over the place - tends to
help keep the water/sand out of the thing along with a hard rubber
case to hold up shock a bit better - so far so good on the 2nd one
- the first one took a beach side dunk I guess and didn't like that.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 05/11/11 at 12:03:22

Im not in a contract and havent been for over two years, pay month to month. Cheapest family plan verizon has.
Id looked at the trac phones but my understanding was your minutes didnt roll over and coverage wasnt real great.
Id like to pitch the thing, lived many many moons without one, but being on the bike and needing to be contactable in case of emergency makes me keep the stupid thing. I dont use but maybe 30-40 minutes a month if that. Dont give out my number either.

Im a tech head myself, built my first computer, self taught. But dont need all the extras you get on a smart phone, got a puter at home for that. Just wanting to shave the monthly bills and still be contactable.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #19 - 05/11/11 at 12:03:28

I have a LG Scoop, I bought it from Alltell before Verizon took it over in my area. I pay by day with free unlimited text (which is what I do most often, I rarely use the call function.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #20 - 05/11/11 at 19:31:36

i got consumer cellular-  it's at&t, marketed thru AAA ( if you have that)  i'm paying $20 per month - more minutes than i ever get around to using.  

I've got friends with fancy internet phones- nice,  but it's still too much $$ for it to be worth it to me

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 05/11/11 at 19:47:41

I've got a military spec Samsung with Verizon. I only use it to call people on the west coast. Have a land line for DSL access. Never plugged the phone in. No idea what the cell plan costs, don't care, my wife pays it.

If my father in law wasn't 85 years old and if my wife wasn't on permanent disability my cell phone would be used to sight in my ancient bull barrel Stevens .22 target rifle. Can't stand the thing, always breaking corded earpieces and despise blue tooth units. I tend to throw them out the window when they hit 2 weeks old and will no longer connect to my phone. Drives my wife bonkers, and nobody can figure out why they quit working.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #22 - 05/12/11 at 06:08:04

I use a Tracfone. Since you have to buy a card every 3 months I get 60 minutes for around $20. Like some on here I hardly ever use it and then only a minute at a time. I usually carry a balance of 150+ minutes. Bought my daughter a Straight Talk phone. Same as Tracfone, no contract, $30/month get 1000 minutes talk text, internet. Or you can get unlimited for $45/month. Wal Mart. My moblie charger for the cigarette light cost $2 more than the phone. Wife has same phone model so chargers are compatable.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #23 - 05/12/11 at 08:49:01

Canada unfortunately is one of the highest cell rates in the world... ugh.

SO, I managed to cut a deal with Rogers by "threatening to cancel" (which I had no intention of doing) and go to another provider (Bell, Fido, w/e).  They said what do you want, and I listed exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay, otherwise I would "walk". After 30 minutes on hold while she talked to her supervisor, she came back and said sure. So, now my bill was originally 110 dollars a month, I now pay an easy 55+tax (no service fee either!).

With unlimited data, and my jailbroken iPhone, I get tonnes of use out of it!

Yep, be glad you got some good plans/rates in the USA because you have to beg/cheat/steal to get one here in Canada!

Ian

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:45:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cell Phones...what ya got?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.