Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S50 any thoughts welcome (Read 637 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
S50 any thoughts welcome
04/15/11 at 10:26:28

Hello folks,

So I'm thinking about a new addition to the family and there is a shiny s50 winking at me from across the way. Anybody have any thoughts on the big brother of our ride?

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: S50 any thoughts welcome
Reply #1 - 04/15/11 at 10:36:08

Ironic - I've had similar thoughts.  Hope someone who knows replies.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 04/15/11 at 10:39:50

I thought about an S50 but I got a good deal on a C50 so I went with that. Big change from the S40 but I like it. Still keeping the thumper though.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/19/11 at 17:42:34

i too am curious.  i like the feel of the S50 when i have sat on it.  bigger bike but still feels very light.  i have to say though that i do like the belt drive of the S40 vs the shaft drive of the bigger brother.  i have been looking at used S50's this spring but have yet to take the plunge.  would be nice to get the chance to ride one.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 09:12:54

LostArtist has a S50, I think.

IP Logged
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/11 at 07:54:27

I LOVE MY S50. got the S40 and S50 sitting side by side in my garage. Everyone I know who has one has nothing but good to say about them Grin

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 04/21/11 at 08:56:50

Might as well throw in my $0.02 ... I briefly owned a 2006 S50 from Oct. '07 to Jun. '08 ... bought it 'cause a co-worker was selling it for an unbelieveably good price ... and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try a Bike similar, but bigger than my then current '03 LS650 ... so I sold the Savage and bought the S50. First off, I will say that the VS800 is a fine motorcycle ... relatively lightweight, FAST ... and of course dead reliable ... but, it didn't take me long to realize that it is (to me anyways) a Bike totally lacking in "character" ... something which the Savage/S40 has in spades! I ended up regretting selling my original Savage and missing her so much that I eventually sold the Intruder and bought another LS; an '05 S40 Smiley Cool

Oh ... also, the person who designed the battery compartment for the VS800 Intruder/S50 deserves a serious beating ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/21/11 at 10:45:13

In defense of the battery on the S50, pain to get the battery out, but no disassembley of the bike to connect to the battery tender. The terminals are in plain view and very easy to hook up. No pigtails needed Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/21/11 at 11:59:23

Piglt you mean you can't see the battery  water level on your S40 with out taking the battery out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/21/11 at 12:27:38

wonder if I can find my old posts about this bike . . . .  there have been a few.  

The S-50 and S-40 from a riders perspective, feel more or less the same, the S-50 will go faster but will vibe just as much as the S-40 at those higher speeds so not as comfortable, but really, from the S-40 to the S-50, not a whole lot will change from your riding experience, they both handle the same, yes the S-50 has 150 extra cc's but it also has an additional 100 lbs so, not like a blow out of performance there. The S-50 is fine up to like 70-75 mph when the vibes start creeping in, but I also need to get mine tuned so maybe it's just mine that's like that.

I disagree about the character, I think the S-50 is great the way it is character wise, it is not a good customizer though, it doesn't make a great bobber or cafe racer. it is exactly what it is if you don't like, not much you can do to change it. it doesn't make a bad chopper though with the long front end.  

self maintenance:
beyond fluid changes and the battery(which isn't that bad, it's two bolts, but it is on the bottom of the bike so if you have bad knees that might suck the once a year you need to look at it, I still haven't looked at mine yet) The valves are very difficult to get to, you have to almost disassemble the top of the bike, gas tank comes of, and the carbs come off too, the gas tank is easy to get off though. and there are two carbs and two air filters on the bike so that adds to maintenance too. the bottom air filter I've heard is hard, but I haven't had too much problems.  but when you get any bigger bike, there will probably be more maintenance to it, unless you get a fuel injected bike with hydraulic valves (Buell xb9s for me)

tires are the same as the S-40.  Rides the same, little heavier so not quite as affected by roadway imperfections.

The S-50 is really fun though, not too heavy for parking lots but not a good touring bike, you can if you want get luggage and stuff to tour with it, the saddle bags by themselves, don't hold much though, so if you like long distance touring with tents and stuff, you're going to have to get some other kinds of luggage and what not, the gas tank is 3.2 gals or something so just a bit bigger than the S-40 but it gets 50 mpg not 60 mpg like the S-40 so there's a loss there.

I'd totally recommend the S-50 if you love the S-40 nothing is going to replace it, but if you want something almost just like it with a bit more oomph or if your S-40 is having problems or got wrecked or something and you wanted the same experience riding the S-50 is perfect as long as you're okay with the challenging self maintenance, it gets you into the V-twin club if you want to experience that for a bit as opposed to a thumper. but there are better bikes out there for that too. especially for any kind of touring. the seat is just like the s-40 too.

the more I have it the more I like it.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 04/22/11 at 12:16:34

I have to agree with LostArtist that he must need a tune up, specifically a carb-sync because the S50 is a LOT faster than an S40.  It's less than a 25% weight increase with a 66% hp increase (figured at 30hp vs 50hp).  But I mention the carb sync because the S50 should not vibrate at speed. I have done plenty of cruising at 90mph on my S50 with no vibration problems.  Also hit an indicated 112 mph with still no issues.  And the bike still had something left.

The battery removal is not as easy as some other bikes but it's worth it to keep that much weight at the bottom of the bike.  Most of the difficulties in working on the bike spring from its compactness.  Lots of stuff is hard to get at because it's jammed into a small space.  But the compactness is a large part of the bike's appeal.

I've seen great bobbers and customs built from VS800s the only limit is imagination (and $$$$).  I think the popularity of the Savage as a bobber is largely due to its low cost.

The S50 is much more durable than the S40.  There are lots of Intruders (Intruder is to S50/VS800 as Savage is to S40/LS650) out there with over 100,000 miles and still going strong.

I love my S50.

Just a note of interest - Suzuki lists the curb weights for the S40 and S50 as 381 and 478 while the C50 comes in at a whopping 611!! And that's not the touring model.  

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 04/22/11 at 13:02:00

PerrydaSavage wrote on 04/21/11 at 08:56:50:
Might as well throw in my $0.02 ... I briefly owned a 2006 S50 from Oct. '07 to Jun. '08 ... bought it 'cause a co-worker was selling it for an unbelieveably good price ... and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try a Bike similar, but bigger than my then current '03 LS650 ... so I sold the Savage and bought the S50. First off, I will say that the VS800 is a fine motorcycle ... relatively lightweight, FAST ... and of course dead reliable ... but, it didn't take me long to realize that it is (to me anyways) a Bike totally lacking in "character" ... something which the Savage/S40 has in spades! I ended up regretting selling my original Savage and missing her so much that I eventually sold the Intruder and bought another LS; an '05 S40 Smiley Cool

Oh ... also, the person who designed the battery compartment for the VS800 Intruder/S50 deserves a serious beating ...

You still have the 250 ninja ,right ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 04/22/11 at 14:16:13

I had a 1990 VX 800 Suzuki,Lot more power and a smooth running engine,and a very stable motorcycle at all speeds, compared to a S40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 04/23/11 at 01:28:48

Yes mick, I still have my current '07 EX250-H ... which has yet to see the Road this year due to combination of continuing cold/snowy weather up here ... and a kaput battery Sad

Looking foward to trying the 'lil Ninja out though! Cool Have to confess however that I deeply regret having sold my '05 S40 last spring, but in my defense, I wasn't exactly in a good "head space" last year when I made that decision ... Roll Eyes

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 04/23/11 at 01:54:57

Get an S83!! Smiley04/23/11 at 01:54:46

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:59:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › S50 any thoughts welcome

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.