Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA build Mar 2018 updates
Reply #390 - 10/04/18 at 15:06:12

What carb options do we have for replacement carbs?

EDIT -- I decided to expand on this.  See thread "Options for Replacement Carbs"

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #391 - 03/02/19 at 13:21:20

I'm heading over to my RYCA buddy's place tomorrow to replace his carb with a new VM 38.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #392 - 03/03/19 at 14:51:51

Gyrobob wrote on 03/02/19 at 13:21:20:
I'm heading over to my RYCA buddy's place tomorrow to replace his carb with a new VM 38.

Several weeks ago he bought a Mikuni VM38-9, the piece that goes from the cylinder head to the carb, and a "universal" throttle cable.

Guess what.  It all works.  We put a foot of fuel line on the carb, filled it with clean gas, and the thing started up immediately.  It ran long enough so we could take off the choke,... it idled nicely.

The problem with the parts themselves is that the cable is a bit long,.... routing it properly is a little bit of an issue.

We did find some other problems.  
--- The RYCA tank has quite a rust problem.
--- The petcock is rotted away.
--- The K&N fuel filter we put on is clogged.

So for now we'll replace the fuel line, filter, and petcock.  We'll derust the tank and do some research on a gas-proof and ethanol-proof coating inside the tank.  The RYCA air filter doesn't fit so he'll need something for the new carb.

Any predictions on jetting changes likely to be needed?

Fooling around with that tank painted with dupli-color was really messy. The paint job is toast.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #393 - 03/03/19 at 16:31:28

My current favorite tank coating is the Caswell Epoxy.  The shop has to be as warm as they say - don't try to fudge it by a few degrees lower, as the stuff is thick when it is cold and it makes it nearly impossible to flow around in the tank if it is too cold.  The color is clear....anything that looks messy will show through the coating (I believe you can get it in tinted colors - but you can still see through the tint).

My second favorite is the POR 15.  It is easier to use and makes a nice metallic silver inside the tank.

All the old white coatings that are acetone based (like Kreem) are not all that great or durable compared to the newer coatings.

It is a bit scary trying to coat a tank that is painted, as most of them want you to use acetone to dry out the acid etch and water.  Rather than use the acetone rinse on a painted tank - I have followed the water rinse with E85....as it will absorb the water and not hurt the paint as quickly as acetone will....and if the paint is a fuel proof epoxy/activated paint.....a brief exposure to the E85 won't hurt it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #394 - 03/06/19 at 08:44:27

I'll check into the Caswell Epoxy tank lining.  Do you know if it would work properly inside a fiberglass tank?  Fiberglass tanks, especially the old ones made before gasohol was available, are really harmed by gasohol.

Dave stated: "I have followed the water rinse with E85....as it will absorb the water and not hurt the paint as quickly as acetone will"

I worry about gasohol like that because it is damaging stuff in most cases.

To get rinse water out of a tank, I like to use plain old alcohol.  I do multiple rinses with it.  It absorbs water and costs next to nothing at walmart.  After a few rinses I set the tank out in the sun for a few hours to make sure it is really dry inside.

I'm about to rebuild the carbs for our RYCA bikes.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Double RYCA build
Reply #395 - 12/24/23 at 15:29:57

Hello all,

I've been away from 2-wheel vehicles for a while.  Personal difficulties, don't ask,.....

I will be getting my RYCA build back in running condition soon.  First steps are to derust the inside of the tank and rebuild the carb.

Looks like I have a lot of problems with the images not appearing in hundreds of posts explaining how we built two RYCA bikes many years ago.

I still have all the RYCA take-off parts (from two bikes) to sell, so if any of you need seats, fenders, side covers, rear wheels, turn signals, handle bars, etc., I'll be putting that stuff in the Marketplace.  My basic concept for pricing all that stuff will be about 1/5 of the price typically listed for replacement parts listed on that there internet thingy.  As an example: SuzukiPartsHouse lists a front fender for $220, so my price would be $44.  Buyer pays shipping.

Merry Christmas all!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates
Reply #396 - 12/25/23 at 03:17:03

Welcome back Gyrobob!

I spent a lot of time watching your thread - as I had not yet started my Cafe' bike project when  you were doing your builds.  Thankfully you posted your photos in a way that the thread is still intact - to many of us used TinyPic or similar photo websites that are now defunct.

Dissolving tank rust with Evapo-Rust works well - it is harmless to paint and warmer temperatures are best.  When I use it in the summer I set the tank in the sun and it helps a great deal. to speed up the process.

IP Logged
oldguyinoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #397 - 12/25/23 at 07:53:22

Merry Christmas !
Gyrobob, I'm looking for a left side cover if you have one.
Also interested in pics of your Ryca builds.  I inherited a basket case 1/2 way through the conversion and want to move forward with it.
Cheers !

Chris

IP Logged
MichPhil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #398 - 12/25/23 at 08:51:51

deleted

« Last Edit: 12/25/23 at 21:27:28 by MichPhil »  
  IP Logged
oldguyinoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #399 - 12/25/23 at 10:06:11

My 2 cents : Both work.  Electrolysis is cheaper (use sodium carbonate/washing soda, not baking soda and use a mild steel anode, not stainless steel).

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #400 - 12/25/23 at 10:12:39

oldguyinoc wrote on 12/25/23 at 07:53:22:
Merry Christmas !
Gyrobob, I'm looking for a left side cover if you have one.
Also interested in pics of your Ryca builds.  I inherited a basket case 1/2 way through the conversion and want to move forward with it.
Cheers !

Chris

Here are the side covers I have.  I have a scratched yellow one and a nicer metallic gray one. The retailers want ~$130 for a left cover.  One fifth of that would be $26.  Around $46 total.  I would guess USPS cheapest shipping would be maybe $20.  I'll knock off a few bucks for the yellow one since it is scratched.

Is it okay to do this here, or are we supposed to discuss these things in the Marketplace?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #401 - 12/25/23 at 10:37:38

lookie there! hens teeth.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #402 - 12/25/23 at 21:33:12

Dave wrote on 12/25/23 at 03:17:03:
Welcome back Gyrobob!

I spent a lot of time watching your thread - as I had not yet started my Cafe' bike project when  you were doing your builds.  Thankfully you posted your photos in a way that the thread is still intact - to many of us used TinyPic or similar photo websites that are now defunct.

Dissolving tank rust with Evapo-Rust works well - it is harmless to paint and warmer temperatures are best.  When I use it in the summer I set the tank in the sun and it helps a great deal. to speed up the process.

Glad to be back and glad the thread was useful to you.  I still have to tidy up some posts where the pics don't show.  I tried using Bluemelon for some of them -- not good.  Apparently lots of Savage-ists used the thread as well.  It got something like 17,000 views!

I'll check into evapo-rust.  I'm also looking into electrolysis.  There are a slew of videos on youtube about derusting motorcycle tanks with electrolysis.  Here is one of the many: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjtx2BgK-U

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #403 - 12/26/23 at 03:33:04

It won't hurt to try the electrolysis - my experience with it was less than satisfactory.

The area of the tank interior was far greater than the surface area of any anode you could fit inside without touching the tank.....so the anode got filthy really fast while the tank showed very little change.  Also the farther the tank surface got away from the anode - the less clean it got.

That  video you posted showed a really nice tank surface after the electrolysis - that would be sweet if you could get it to work (and let us know how).

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #404 - 12/30/23 at 08:35:58

Just a note from experience.  If you use Evap-o-rust, do not rinse with water per the instructions.  It will flash rust.  Use denatured alcohol for the rinse.  You won't get any flash rust that way.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 03:08:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!