Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lets assume I'm ready to toy up (Read 343 times)
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: Lets assume I'm ready to toy up
Reply #15 - 04/14/11 at 14:41:53

The Suzuki Marauder is very similar, just a tad bigger.  A lot of the same parts even.  The Intruder is also similar, if you like the staggered seats and shaft.  Both have better power to weight than the HDs.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #16 - 04/14/11 at 18:45:24

weracerc, what ever you decide, I wish you
all the best. Might I suggest you go to
different dealerships and sat on the bike.
Then even ask by chance can you take
one for a test ride? Some places may not
allow that and some may.
The Triumph America is a very nice bike. I
sat on one few months back. It did not
intimidate me. The suzuki c-50 is a very nice
bike as well. Which ever you do, please hang
around here. Good luck and keep us informed.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 04/14/11 at 19:17:45

I moved up to c50 and love it. Much better on the long haul.
I would look at the s50 if you want to keep the weight down and stay simiar to the s40 size. I have sat on the s50 in the show room and it's awfully close to the s40. I would imagine it would be quite quick.
Then again the overhaul idea would be a lot cheaper.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 04/14/11 at 19:57:22

I got a ride on a C-50 during bike week last year at the factory tent and was impressed. Smooth ride and very  comfortable, The only drawback was the handlebar weight kept falling out during the test ride. No big deal, I would of yanked them out if I bought the bike. My savage felt strangely barbaric when I got back on it at the end of the day. Apples and Oranges, the single is not a V-Twin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #19 - 04/14/11 at 20:32:04

I really like the C50 too.  My only observation, is that if you're going to spend a lot of time on freeways that are 70mph and above, the gearing is a little low.  The engine can handle the rpm's, but your mpg suffers (wow, look at all those acronyms! Cheesy).  Since it's a shaft drive, the options are very slim.  There is a method of swapping out the rear drive unit with one from the bigger Suzukis, and that's about it.  Since I'm not much of a speed demon, I'm leaving mine as-is for now.

From what I've read about the Vulcan, someone actually makes different pulleys for the belt drive, to adjust the ratios.  Probably much easier to change.  I've ridden a 900 when my brother had it, and it was a nice ride.  Both of these are around 200 lbs heavier than the Savage, but you'd be surprised how quick you get used to the feel.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #20 - 04/15/11 at 06:37:10

actually besides the leg room requirement - the weight of the bike is my second most important factor - I donot worry about dropping the Savage at a light - even though I have balance issues in general - I wobble at the light occassionally especially if i am tired.....so I dont ever see me on something as big as Road King or anything in that family (size wise) bike.....200 more lbs is about all i am willing to go up in weight - of the bike HA!.....I am trying to go down as far as personal weight goes - lost 25lbs in the past month (sick) but hey lost weight is lost weight.....

thanks for all the info so far keep it coming.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 04/15/11 at 07:37:28

Different bikes are balanced alot differently.  Always heard people say the Sportsters are top-heavy.  So if the weight is a big factor for you, then you need to find one that is balanced as you need, not just raw weight.  When I've sat on S50's and Marauders, I think they feel more top-heavy.   The C50, M50, V-Stars, Vulcans, VTX's seem much more bottom weighted.  I think you are gonna have to test a few that appeal to you, and are weighted to your liking.  Don't rule out bigger cc's and overall weight, because they could be balanced more to suit you.  Just a thought...  

Congrats on losing some weight, even though you've been sick.  Hope you get to feeling better.  The Diplomat, my new name.  hahaha  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/15/11 at 09:24:54

babyhog wrote on 04/15/11 at 07:37:28:
Different bikes are balanced alot differently.  Always heard people say the Sportsters are top-heavy.  So if the weight is a big factor for you, then you need to find one that is balanced as you need, not just raw weight.  When I've sat on S50's and Marauders, I think they feel more top-heavy.   The C50, M50, V-Stars, Vulcans, VTX's seem much more bottom weighted.  I think you are gonna have to test a few that appeal to you, and are weighted to your liking.  Don't rule out bigger cc's and overall weight, because they could be balanced more to suit you.  Just a thought...  

Congrats on losing some weight, even though you've been sick.  Hope you get to feeling better.  The Diplomat, my new name.  hahaha  

+1!

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #23 - 04/15/11 at 10:32:25

very good point i hadnt actually thought of it in those terms but makes way too mkuch sense not to consider...bottom weighted vs top heavy.....yes I definitely need to get some seat time on several as I ponder this issue.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/15/11 at 10:45:58

also if you are worried about picking it up, how it lays on the grown is important too. my buell lays flat on it's side when it's down, it's only a 400lb bike, but with it on it's side like that, it's a real problem for me to pick up by myself. my S-50 has engine guards and forward cruising pegs and saddle bags on it so when it falls on it's side it doesn't quite get flat with the ground, giving easier access to leverage needed to pick it up, even though it's 480lb, it's much much easier to pick up and much less distance to get it upright again too.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 04/15/11 at 12:14:40

Don't lay it over!   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/15/11 at 14:57:17

babyhog wrote on 04/15/11 at 12:14:40:
Don't lay it over!   Grin

that's the first thing I do with a bike when I buy it!  gonna find out sometime anyway  Tongue

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 04/15/11 at 16:01:15

LA, I was wondering how you knew what all your bikes are like laying on thier sides. Thanks for the clarification

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/15/11 at 16:30:36

yeah, I dropped the s-50 while it was parked somehow, think I trying to back it out of my space out of the dip it was in, my foot slipped and over I went. and the buell I dropped trying to turn it around to back it into my space, cut the handle bars too sharp going too slow, that kinda hurt, just cause you sit higher and I was tippy toes on it so no real ability to stop it once it started.

Edit:  but both those things happened like within 2 months of having each bike

next bike I get I'm just going to kick it over at the dealership

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #29 - 04/15/11 at 18:04:45

There is a technique to picking a bike up..
I have seen the video. Looks fairly easy.
Also a gal I met on the ferry few years past,
said she never bought a bike without having
the dealership lay it on it's side first. She then
proceeded to pick it up herself. She amazed a
few salesmen.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 21:06:42