Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lets assume I'm ready to toy up (Read 343 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Lets assume I'm ready to toy up
04/14/11 at 06:56:27

Ok my fine friends in MC-land - lets assume for just a minute that I am ready to move up a tad on the MC totem pole.......One I am not looking to throw a lot of $$ at the next step up - I paid $1200 for my Savage 1 year ago with 6900 miles on it - now has 9500 and oil leak fixed new tires, brakes, petcock, 6" forward controls, winshield. Now if I were to move up a tad what would my next bike be? I have some interest in the Suzuki Intruder water cooled 800, Kawasaki Vulcan, Honda VTX.....but I want to take a small step in power not a monumental one. I like the weight of the Savage, the power, the sound, the mileage......just looking for advise on the logical next step up.....your opinions do matter to me.

thanks

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Lets assume I'm ready to toy up
Reply #1 - 04/14/11 at 08:13:18

A 600cc kawasaki NINJA.
About the same size motor with twice the speed,and don't let the looks fool you,they are very comfortable, And they just love twisties,good on gas too.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/14/11 at 08:23:42

Or, you mite have a look at the Kawa w-650,, hard to find, but good bikes. Not a screamer, but faster than the S-40, no cam chain, bevel drive cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 04/14/11 at 08:31:10

Sorry, I don't see you on a Ninja!  Mick loves his Ninja's.  lol

If I had the money, I'd buy a Triumph America.  Pure beauty and not much heavier than the Savage, but a little bigger and 865cc.   But the choices you mentioned are all great too.  Have friends with all those bikes.  Hubby had a Vulcan 750 before getting his C90.  I never rode it because I wasn't comfortable at the time, but I'm sure I could ride it now.  Not the C90, no way in hades!  Check the C50's also, and the M50's.  They are super hot!  

Here's an America:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/14/11 at 08:33:59

Honda Shadow RS normal riding position,507 pounds wet weight,chain drive so can easily be geared higher.Triumph American wet weight 550

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 04/14/11 at 08:37:04

My suggestion is to keep the savage and get a carb and cam from Lancer, bigger piston and port/polish.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/14/11 at 09:53:39

I know it's a sacrilege to say it,... but the closest thing would be a 883 Sportster...
Slightly more power, still air-cooled, and single carb... but, much heavier.
Although,... newer models are fuel injected, and have fuel pumps to complicate things...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/14/11 at 10:21:02

I love my S50 Grin

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/11 at 10:55:06

piglt wrote on 04/14/11 at 10:21:02:
I love my S50 Grin

+1  

the S-50/intruder vs800 is really the next step from a Savage, it's 805cc 480lbs exact same seating position and the extra power is minimal because of the extra weight. so if you just want a little more umph, that's your bike, the sporty 883 isn't bad either, just 550lbs, so you are going up like 200lbs instead of just 125 or so for the s50, now if you want a 550 lbs machine that feels like a savage with extra extra umph, try the S-83/intruder vs1400, the bonus with the 1400/S83 is that you won't need to move up again ever really, unless you want a touring comfort bagger bike.

if you wanna stay with a cruiser style

otherwise you have lots of options, try some fz8 or triumph bonnivelle or other styles of bikes out, sit on them and see how you feel about them

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/14/11 at 10:56:15

babyhog wrote on 04/14/11 at 08:31:10:

If I had the money, I'd buy a Triumph America.  Pure beauty and not much heavier than the Savage, but a little bigger and 865cc.   But the choices you mentioned are all great too.  Have friends with all those bikes.  Hubby had a Vulcan 750 before getting his C90.  I never rode it because I wasn't comfortable at the time, but I'm sure I could ride it now.  Not the C90, no way in hades!  Check the C50's also, and the M50's.  They are super hot!  

Here's an America:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Triumph-Americab-small.jpg

Have you sat on that Triumph America ? The last time I sat on one it seemed huge. I mean the gas tank looked like a yard accross.
I just don't see our very petite piglet on one.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 04/14/11 at 11:07:10

mick wrote on 04/14/11 at 10:56:15:

Here's an America:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Triumph-Americab-small.jpg

Have you sat on that Triumph America ? The last time I sat on one it seemed huge. I mean the gas tank looked like a yard accross.

Mick, actually NO, I haven't ever sat on one.  Only seen one in person.  Don't have a Triumph dealer near me.  I just fell in love with the looks of the bike, and the specs are nice too.  And the Triumph name speaks for itself.  But you could be right, probably would be too big for me.  That's why my S40 will probably be the only bike I ever own.  (and believe it or not, I've been considering selling it... sssshhhh)  

But weracerc has an inch or two, and a pound or two on me....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/14/11 at 11:43:28

Oh my, look at that Bonneville:

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/14/11 at 11:52:21

babyhog wrote on 04/14/11 at 11:07:10:
mick wrote on 04/14/11 at 10:56:15:

Here's an America:

Mick, actually NO, I haven't ever sat on one.  Only seen one in person.  Don't have a Triumph dealer near me.  I just fell in love with the looks of the bike, and the specs are nice too.  And the Triumph name speaks for itself.  But you could be right, probably would be too big for me.  That's why my S40 will probably be the only bike I ever own.  (and believe it or not, I've been considering selling it... sssshhhh)  

But weracerc has an inch or two, and a pound or two on me....

the America/Speedmaster's aren't that big, the Thunderbird is wide though, looks great from the side, hard to straddle for me though.  

the bonneville is just one sexy bike. get the Ryca kit and make your S-40 new again piglet!  

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 04/14/11 at 13:36:53

thanks to all who have replied so far - i figured Mick would try to fold up my incr4edibly creaky old busted up knees to get on a Ninja - I am a Ninja just can ride on one!.......The Triumph is appealing - have a neighbor who rides one by my house every few days - sounds good looks good - the foot controls a re tad to close to the factory S40 locations from what i can tell and BabyHog is quite the diplomat a few inches and pounds....like 1ft & 300 so leg room and a$$ room/comfort are important factors.....all the bikes mentions are going on my scope list....except the Ninja!

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/14/11 at 14:15:01

I vote rebuild. It'll cost you way less than a new bike, you get to keep all the investment you've already made into it, and without getting too complicated and in depth with it you can still get a very substanstial boost in performance without any extra weight or having to adjust to a new bike's quirks and personality. Besides all that, what you learn by taking it apart and putting it back together will mean you will never be intimidated to make repairs.

K/N cone filter ($50)
38VM carb from lancer ($150 IIRC)
stage 1 cam from lancer ($200 less core charge)
screaming eagle dyna muffler on stock header ($25)
95mm wiseco piston ($175)
Bore job ($50)
Barnett clutch ($150)

Grand Total - $800 and some time, and Im pushing 0-60 in 4-5 seconds. My buddy Ineclipse also has a '95 (stock) and every time we get done with a ride he asks if he can take mine around the block. He's usually gone for about 20 minutes before he comes back and praises every attribute in comparison with his stock machine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:38:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lets assume I'm ready to toy up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.