Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oldie, but a Goodie - '86 Bobber (Read 970 times)
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oldie, but a Goodie - '86 Bobber
Reply #15 - 04/10/11 at 06:00:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/10/11 at 02:39:50:
At 15,000 miles, you re right in the "window" for  cam chain problem. Sure would be a shame to mess such a nice lookin bike up like that.. Time to pop th cover & have a look..

Thanks for the heads up.  I've read a few things on here about the cam chains and the window for disaster.  Is there any type of specific "warning" the bike will give if it's going bad?  I'm just referring to sounds, knocks, etc...

IP Logged
charley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi
Reply #16 - 04/10/11 at 06:34:09

bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 04/09/11 at 21:47:00:
Savage_Amusement wrote on 04/09/11 at 18:15:22:
Great work buddy, I also like how the rear cleans up. That is the last part of my bike holding me up. My wife still wants to be able to ride along so I'm having to come up with something different.

The bcb stuff is great, but it definitely won't hold another person.  You could possibly get the specs on the fender and strut mounts and use a heavier guage steel and it should be plenty of support.  Maybe you could mount a smaller pad on the new rear fender??  

Anyone thought about a heavier rear fender with a removable rear pad ? I don't know just a thought  but maybe a pad with snaps that could be snapped into place when in need for a passenger

IP Logged
crackmonkey
YaBB Newbies

nothing to see here.
 keep moving

Hagerstown, MD
Reply #17 - 04/10/11 at 08:17:41

bike looks good.  i would roll that in a hartbeat

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #18 - 04/10/11 at 11:10:15

I have a trailer fender, I'd like to make the fender move with the swing frame also have a fender strut/sissy bar deal so I can put my bag on it. I don't want to thredjack so I'll stop..

Again man nice work! Did you use VHT for the header?

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/10/11 at 11:18:02

Savage_Amusement wrote on 04/10/11 at 11:10:15:
I have a trailer fender, I'd like to make the fender move with the swing frame also have a fender strut/sissy bar deal so I can put my bag on it. I don't want to thredjack so I'll stop..

Again man nice work! Did you use VHT for the header?

Thanks.  I actually just used the Duplicolor DE 1634 500 degree for most of the bike, including the header.  I'm sure the VHT would be good as well.  I've not had a single issue besides some stinking fumes when you first fire it up with the fresh paint.  I have exhaust wrap that I'm going to use so I have not worried about the header too much.

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/10/11 at 18:48:37

Very nice ride!  Can you fill me in on how you did the wheels?  Did you simply mask and spray, or something else?

IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/10/11 at 19:40:08

bluesrockdoc wrote on 04/10/11 at 18:48:37:
Very nice ride!  Can you fill me in on how you did the wheels?  Did you simply mask and spray, or something else?

Actually, the wheels were one of the few things I had sand blasted and powder coated.   However, I'm confident that the Duplicolor DE 1634 would work well with proper surface preperation.  hope this helps.  Thanks.

IP Logged
choppersex
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/11/11 at 03:50:20

What size is your rear tyre, I am thinking of the BCB route for the wifes savage,hers has a 140/90 on which lookes to wide for the fender on yours, also not sure the side mount on the right would be legal here in the UK.

IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/11/11 at 06:31:52

choppersex wrote on 04/11/11 at 03:50:20:
What size is your rear tyre, I am thinking of the BCB route for the wifes savage,hers has a 140/90 on which lookes to wide for the fender on yours, also not sure the side mount on the right would be legal here in the UK.

Rear Tire is:  Dunlop 140/90 15m/c 70h
I didn't have any issues with the BCB fender.  I had to make a few adjustments, but it wasn't bad at all.  The fender brackets and struts have adjustments so you can fit it to your needs.  

I got pulled over yesterday for having my license plate vertical.  I read the laws, but apparently didn't read them well enough...Anyways, I made a quick adjustment with some zip ties and I was good to go.  I would suggest making sure you know the laws before getting your wife's bike all fixed up!  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 04/11/11 at 06:42:49

Id let her get  few thousand miles on it before I did much. Unless you know she can ride & wil keep riding,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
choppersex
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/11/11 at 10:31:33

Iv'e had the savage about 7 years,it was her first bike.After buying a 650 dragstar the savage was left in the garage,I didn't want to sell it,already done a fair bit off work on it after getting ripped off on e-bay,I loved riding it so I knew one day it would return to the road.Not sure who I'm bobbing it for really (lol).

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/12/11 at 23:22:33

This is my favorite looking bobber project so far and its inspired me to do one of my own.

How did you do your surface preperation on the forks, muffler, clutch cover, cylinder, etc?

Very cool lookign bike.

IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/13/11 at 12:20:27

sillydilly wrote on 04/12/11 at 23:22:33:
This is my favorite looking bobber project so far and its inspired me to do one of my own.

How did you do your surface preperation on the forks, muffler, clutch cover, cylinder, etc?

Very cool lookign bike.

Cool, man.  Glad I could help inspire you.  Working on these bikes is actually quite a bit of fun!  Anyways, the preperation on the forks, clutch cover, and cylinder was simply some degreaser and some scrubbing.  Cleaning, in conjunction with a bit of light sanding to prep the areas was all it took.  The paint is a ceramic paint and the more it heats up on the motor, the better it sticks.  

In regards to the muffler, I actually had that sand-blasted.  I then put several coats of the same black paint on it simply to protect it until I got the wrap put on.  It turned out pretty cool and hasn't caused me any problems.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Thanks.

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/13/11 at 15:08:14

aside from paint and bars and such, what else have you done to the bike? cutting/welding?

whats a BCB kit?

where did you get the fork boots?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #29 - 04/13/11 at 15:22:37

sillydilly wrote on 04/13/11 at 15:08:14:
aside from paint and bars and such, what else have you done to the bike? cutting/welding?

whats a BCB kit?

where did you get the fork boots?

A BCB kit is a BlueCollarBobber package to make a stock savage/s40 into a bobber.

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.br...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:37:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oldie, but a Goodie - '86 Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.