Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gasket around speedometer? (Read 61 times)
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gasket around speedometer?
09/25/12 at 21:30:34

So I was washing my bike today and when i got to the tank and speedometer houseing I noticed that it seemed to shift alittle in all directions. When it moves it seems like it isnt very solidly connected to the tank. At the base when I move it I see a slight residue or something. So my question is is this slight movement anything to be concerned about or should I just keep an eye on it? I guess I am assuming it should be very tight and not move at all.

Somebody steer me in the right direction and let me know if I am looking too close at something that isnt an issue.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Re: Gasket around speedometer?
Reply #1 - 09/25/12 at 21:56:11

The speedometer assembly resides in a "chamber" or hole that is not part of the area that contains the gasoline. The residue is probably dampness from your washing and some crud that has built up under the plastic lip. The plastic housing can move around without compromising the integrity of the gasoline compartment.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/25/12 at 22:05:31

From underneath,... that assembly is mounted with 3 screws under springs...
It has wiggle...  there is a tendency for that wiggle to cause a weird squeak... ... but it does wiggle, and it's supposed to...

It's kinda' mounted on tiny pogo sticks... Grin...

Yer' okay,.. 'till it starts squeakin'... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/26/12 at 19:03:00

Serowbot wrote on 09/25/12 at 22:05:31:
From underneath,... that assembly is mounted with 3 screws under springs...
It has wiggle...  there is a tendency for that wiggle to cause a weird squeak... ... but it does wiggle, and it's supposed to...

It's kinda' mounted on tiny pogo sticks... Grin...

Yer' okay,.. 'till it starts squeakin'... Wink...

Agreed! I had to pull my speed-o-meter out and remove wasp nests from these very "pogo sticks" when I first got my bike (it rested in a barn for ~4 years).  You can tighten the nuts in there if it is really really loose for some reason, but you have to be careful as with anything (especially plastic pogo sticks) and not over tighten...there needs to be some wiggle in there hence the springs!!!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:40:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket around speedometer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.