Modern Cars (Read 295 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Modern Cars
Reply #15 - 02/13/11 at 16:25:05

seat belts are a pain in the ass, I bet the difference in deaths now ,and in the 50s are about the same giving the same amount of drivers.
I hate trying to get out of a car that is on fire ,bloody seat belts are a neusance.I never wear mine, I have them rigged so I look like I am wearing them ,but they just lay accross my lap. I supose next someone will want seat belts on motorcycles,and god forbid we should put them on school busses.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/13/11 at 20:21:49

I bet the difference in deaths now ,and in the 50s are about the same giving the same amount of drivers.

Dont bet the farm n that one. Yea, there are tmes when the belt gets someone killed, just  as I woulda died if I had been wearing a helmet the 1st time I totaled a bike, but then a helmet saved me from serious injury or death in another crash. I dont like wearing a seatbelt & in some places, I dont, but in other places, I do. Ive done bodywork & seen crashed cars. Amazing that people live thru & sometimes just walk away from,  horrible crashes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 02/14/11 at 03:49:37

mick wrote on 02/13/11 at 16:25:05:
seat belts are a pain in the ass, I bet the difference in deaths now ,and in the 50s are about the same giving the same amount of drivers.
I hate trying to get out of a car that is on fire ,bloody seat belts are a neusance.I never wear mine, I have them rigged so I look like I am wearing them ,but they just lay accross my lap. I supose next someone will want seat belts on motorcycles,and god forbid we should put them on school busses.

+ 1 How would you like to be upside down in a car and try to get out,With seat belts on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 02/14/11 at 05:04:31

A friend of mine rolled a Jeep several times and finished upside down and unconscious, with the seat belt holding him in the seat. He had broken his neck in 2 places. The seat belt held him in traction, and a smart ambulance guy restrained his neck before he moved him. The seat belt saved his life and kept him from being a quadriplegic. I always wear a seat belt. Fires caused by accidents are rare, but to be on the safe side I keep a fire extinguisher in the door pocket beside me and a glass breaker within reach.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 02/14/11 at 06:00:14

When I was just out of high school,4 kids from the school were in a bad accident 2 thrown from the car lived, 2 that weren't died,Being thrown from the car saved their lives.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 02/14/11 at 06:59:36

Not uncommon for cars to crush those that  get thrown out.

Seatbelts save lives & minimize injuries, generally. YOu can find instances where they dont. If you want to  to use a statistically insignificant number of events as your model, go ahead. Ive seen lots of good wrecked cars as a bodyman. I saw one where a lady hit a stop sign from the side. It shoved the support sideways & the edge of the stopsign came thru the roof, slamming into the top of the steering wheel, right between her hands. No seatbelt? It woulda split her skull. It drove the steeringwheel into a Valentine shape. She took it home & kept it.
I do believe we should have the option. Having a cop tell me I hafta wear one is crap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 02/14/11 at 09:14:28

Fires caused by accidents are rare, but to be on the safe side I keep a fire extinguisher in the door pocket beside me

I drive a diesel, there's little to zero chance a diesel car catch fire.

For the skeptics: drop a lit match in a bucket of diesel or kerosene, it'll go out like you dropped it in water.

Drive a diesel, save gas, save lives.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 02/15/11 at 11:25:18

Thanks all, his bruises have maxed out and he is well on the way to going back to work.
I think most of us do not want the police to tell us when to use seatbelts..and as I drive a school bus as my retirement hobby the thought of trying to belt up and unbealt 75 elementary age student is a nightmare in the making.  The buses' seats are supposed to provide the bounce protection, the heavy guage frame the impact protection.
As a note, each school bus has a seatblet cutter at hand just in case the driver's belt doesn't function.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 02/15/11 at 11:58:58

IDK why they dont put the seats in bakkerds in them busses. Maybe thatd make the kids barf, IDK.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 02/15/11 at 12:04:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/15/11 at 11:58:58:
IDK why they dont put the seats in bakkerds in them busses. Maybe thatd make the kids barf, IDK.

certainly would solve a obesity problem.  they'll just have to install floor drains.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #25 - 02/15/11 at 14:08:30

While the cleanup would be messy..perhaps ejection seats??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 02/15/11 at 16:50:24

Trippah wrote on 02/15/11 at 14:08:30:
While the cleanup would be messy..perhaps ejection seats??

Im sure the drivers would like that, as long  as he had the control on each seat...

IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/15/11 at 16:59:02

10 years ago my wife called my son on his cell phone. H When he went to answer it, he lost his concentration and crossed the lane into the path of a pickup. She could hear the crash, the people, etc. He was driving an accent and the air bag saved him. The hyundhi was totaled. He was able to climb out his window.

TC

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 02/15/11 at 17:36:15

tcreeley wrote on 02/15/11 at 16:59:02:
10 years ago my wife called my son on his cell phone. H When he went to answer it, he lost his concentration and crossed the lane into the path of a pickup. She could hear the crash, the people, etc. He was driving an accent and the air bag saved him. The hyundhi was totaled. He was able to climb out his window.

TC

Im curious to know what changes were made after the crash. Ay sweeping changes? Like, Dont answ the hone, ever, while driving, let them leave a voice mail?

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #29 - 02/16/11 at 02:18:36

As someone pointed out the science of crash testing is fairly new but it has brought great improvements in vehicle safety.  Keep in mind that while those safety devices are made to stand up to the crash without breaking, they do sometimes make it hard to get out quickly after the crash.  Seatbelts often lock or jam.  Carry a seatbelt cutter and window shattering tool.  Also know how to use them and which window it can be used on.  These tools make good keychains and are usually avaiable for under $10.  Not bad for a life saver.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 01:55:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Modern Cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.