Modern Cars (Read 295 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Modern Cars
02/10/11 at 17:04:34

Well, at 1:30 Monday night I got that call all parents dread.  Hi..I,m Jeff, an EMT....
Thankfully he quickly let me know my son was basically all right, car totalled in a head on colllision in a snow storm.  They were taking him to a hospital for checkout.

Thanks to all the forces in the universe that made Nissan engineers design crumple zones that worked, airbags that deployed etc. in his Altima.

It seems so rare that things work out as designed, I thought it worth mentioning that they did in this critical moment.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Modern Cars
Reply #1 - 02/10/11 at 17:23:08

Wow, great...could have been much worse. Thank goodness for modern enginering.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/10/11 at 18:13:29

Modern Cars, from the early 60's. Steel dash, lap belts, no one used them, engineers figured the tougher tha car, the better. Beautiful young woman we knew was slammed face first into the dash, bashed her pretty face in, knocked most of her teeth out. I dont think I ever saw her again.

Modern cars Kick BUTT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 02/10/11 at 21:08:16

Trippath, please relay my best to your son. To have your son involved in an auto accident is not easy. I am relieved to know he is not as seriously injured as he could have been.

Several years ago, both my children, along with my Aunt and Uncle, were involved in a head on accident. Car from other direction came too fast around a sharp curve, into their lane. Hit them head on.
No broken bones, yet months of son going to Dr as had a neck injury. Daughter had a knee that sustained a heck of a bruise.
Aunt and Uncle had concussions and yet no broken bones.
We were all blessed as this was a terrible accident.

Yes, thank the engineers of modern cars for all the safety equipment installed in them now. Hugs.. kim Smiley

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 02/10/11 at 22:42:30

So glad your boy is ok trippah.
I bet his next car is a Nisson.
                                                mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 02/11/11 at 03:19:53

There are no words that can describe the feeling in your gut when you get a call like that, so I won't try. On Aug 8 1987 my oldest son was hit by a truck while standing at the curb at a stop light while riding his bicycle. He was knocked 30 ' crashing into an electrical box, and was not wearing a helmet. A bystander called us and told us he was being taken to emergency with head and leg injuries. He had a severe concussion, permanently lost some of his memory, and developed pipolar disorder because of it. The bike was totally destroyed as was most of his clothing.
Wear your helmet.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/11/11 at 04:32:51

words fail. Thats just so bad, Im sorry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 02/11/11 at 08:20:13

The whole science of crashworthiness is fairly new.

In the past, we put so much emphasis only on avoiding crashes, and of course, that will always be a worthy  pursuit - avoidance.

But finally both the law, and the engineers came to recognize that vehicles could be better designed and built to protect occupants in the inevitable accident.

This effort really began in WW II, when Republic Aircraft designed the P-47 Thunderbolt and with its cockpit capable of protecting the pilot from split second 40G forces during impacts.

The next step in protection is known in the aviation industry, and has been since WW II.  But it probably will never get into cars due to resistance from common folks.

That's the 5 point restraint system - a belt coming across each hip, meeting a belt coming down across each shoulder, and a crotch strap coming up from the seat, all meeting at a common buckle about where your belly button is.

The biggest deficit with what we have now in cars is called "submarining", where the driver slides forward, out of and under the seatbelt, and slams into the footwell and underside of the dash, as there is nothing to prevent this forward movement in an accident with forward energy.  A 5 point system prevents this with its crotch strap.

A 5 point system offers about as much protection over just a lap belt with single diagonal shoulder belt (what's in most cars now), as that lap belt and single harness did compared to nothing at all.

But for some reason, consumers rebel at the thought of the 5 point system.  If we could get it adopted, thousands of additional lives could be saved each year.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 02/11/11 at 08:27:27

Jerry, good points as usual. You know, a baby when strapped into a car seat, has the 5 point system. Well at least most of them do.
Then the car seat is belted into the seat belt system as well.
This set up has kept many babies safer than years past. Well as long as the parent or parents, place their little bodies inside them.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 02/11/11 at 08:44:57

Kim -

You're right; I forgot about baby seats.

My daughter will be 31 in June, and we had a baby seat for her with a 5 point system 30 years ago.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/11/11 at 09:01:44

The system you need was shown in "Demolition Man"
Stalone drives the squad car of the future into a wall.
Before impact, the car is filled with styrofoam.
If you don't sufficate, you'll live.

WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 02/11/11 at 09:16:03

Vers -

The ultimate "air bag", huh?

It was interesting about 5 years ago there was an article in the BMW owner's magazine about airbags.  Some BMW engineer was railing against them, as a poor excuse for not properly engineering proper crashworthiness and restraint systems into a car.

He pointed out how we all see NASCAR and Formula 1 cars go into the wall at speeds well over 100 mph every season and then watch the driver walk away.  He then posed the query as to how many of those race cars have airbags - of course, the answer is "None".

The fault in this guy's logic is simply economics - when cost is little if any issue, you can design a very crashworthy car and a very effective restaint system.  But you can't do it for a mass produced car that retails for $25,000.  And, of course, can you imagine the ordinary driver and passenger in a car wearing a full face race helmet?

I have no idea about the dynamics of Dale Ernhart's crash, and whether an airbag would have done him any good.

There are a couple of aviation seatbelt manufacturers now putting airbags into the shoulder harnesses in small airplanes, and the NTSB is about to mandate them for all new airplanes in a few years.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/11/11 at 09:52:45

2 points...

1.  On a race track, everyone is going the same direction, and most crashes are glancing, not head on...

2.  Always wear your lap belt across your hip bones, not around your waist.  
Wearing it around the waist can do more damage than good... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 02/11/11 at 10:08:42

Serowbot wrote on 02/11/11 at 09:52:45:
2 points...

1.  On a race track, everyone is going the same direction, and most crashes are glancing, not head on...

2.  Always wear your lap belt across your hip bones, not around your waist.  
Wearing it around the waist can do more damage than good... Wink...

Except for the wall crashes, some of those are head on.

Dont do the Detroit Lean. I sit up straight & keep the belt low.

If I could have a 5 point that I could push a button & lean over to touch something away from me, then sit back up & it hold me again, then Id be down with that.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 02/11/11 at 19:39:05

Trippah, sending best wishes to you and your family...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:24:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Modern Cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.