Scooter trike (Read 392 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Scooter trike
Reply #30 - 01/03/11 at 20:47:10

Lets face it there are no decent bikes coming out of this country.
Wouldn't it be great if the US started to build them,who knows is 20 years or so they might catch up with Italy.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #31 - 01/04/11 at 08:51:43

mick wrote on 01/03/11 at 20:47:10:
Lets face it there are no decent bikes coming out of this country.
Wouldn't it be great if the US started to build them,who knows is 20 years or so they might catch up with Italy.

Mick, if you go on pulling my leg, one of these days I'llbe six feet tall !!!  Grin Grin Grin

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 01/04/11 at 09:17:51

Our cars never got up to the Italian cars I guess our bikes want either. Smiley Fiat coming to the USA again.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #33 - 01/04/11 at 18:10:17

That thing cost more than my Savage.  Kinda cute though.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #34 - 01/06/11 at 19:19:20

I rented a 250 Chinese scoot on Maui during a pre-Christmas vacation.

It wasn't too bad (aside from being kinda gutless) for heading up the coast.

But the next day the rear tire blew out.  Fortunately it was during a slow U-turn and I was able to keep it upright.  The rental people were quite apologetic, and comped me a scooter trike as compensation.   Being curious, I tried it.

Absolutely dreadful!  I am NOT going to give the Chinese scooter industry a third try at killing me and/or Mrs. Doc.  Should there ever be a return to Maui, I will be renting the Piaggio!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #35 - 01/06/11 at 19:49:08

Doc, nice to know you and the Mrs. wasn't hurt while on the scooter or the trike. Now we have a first hand opinion from someone who rode one.
Their cute yet with all the information that has again transpired since this thread first was posted, I choose not to ride one.. Of course this is my opinion and your all welcome to decide for yourselves.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #36 - 01/07/11 at 21:02:35

I'm sure that a well made and set up trike is a whole 'nother story from the Chinese POS I played with.  As for the blowout, I think there was a slow leak in the rear tire -- they topped it off right when I rode it off, and it seemed OK for the rest of the day.  We had it for 24 hours, so the second morning we just putted around the resort area.  I made a u-turn in front of a shopping area, and that's when the pop-pfffssst! happened.  At least we had someplace comfortable to hang out it till they picked us up!

Mrs. Doc at the shopping area

The rest of the sperm whale skeleton:

Still, I think the basic trike design is flawed.  The two wheels in back, one in front tends to topple rather than slide.  With the two in front, one in back, the rear wheel will slide if overpowered, similar to a rear wheel drive car.  That's why it was used in the classic Morgan and the current Can-Am.  The Piaggio is designed to act like a two wheeler with a monster contact patch in front.

A trike, like a child's velocipede tricycle, topples without any warning when cornered hard -- that's why the three wheel ATVs were banned.  The "Big Wheel" kid's tricycle has a center of gravity well below the center of the front wheel, so on a smooth surface the rear wheels will slide.

Guess who's had this conversation regarding tricycles and grandkids??

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:51:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Scooter trike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.