Send Topic Print
Cafe posting (Read 639 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Cafe posting
Reply #45 - 12/20/10 at 08:37:55

We agree to all disagree with each other at some point in life.
Attacking each other however is nothing I want or will become involved in.

Are their not other forums where one can voice their opinions of topics such as religion or political or whatever other topic they can come up with on the computer?
Why do we have to get into those discussions on a mc site to begin with?
Now if it is a mc ride and you want to invite others to join, then keep it on that topic. Don't bring your personal views on non related topic into that discussion.
If we keep it this way, then maybe the site can be brought back to what it was intended to be for in the first place.
As I said in a post before this one, I came here in the first place to learn about my bike. I have learned and look forward to keep learning. I have my own political and religious views and will keep them to myself or find a forum in which to place those views and post them here.  Smiley kim

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 12/20/10 at 08:48:53

Lupo, KimKris, does separating out ALL the political religious and interpersonal jousting and rowdy stuff to a separate forum not fix your issue?

Then you have a place to have a PG Cafe and have a truly civilized conversation where you could dial in from work and not get hit by ugly green frog holding his wanker?   (yep, me too -- my bad)

If we had the separate forum where we could move all the rowdy stuff (including the Tail of the Dragon trip) and leave Cafe to be a Cafe, wouldn't that give you the separation you are seeking?

What would be the rules for such a Cellar or SpeakEasy or Back Room or whatever you choose to call it?

Or being a completely separate place and "you go there at your own risk" would it require any rules other than maybe NO PERSONAL ATTACKS?

Seriously, this sounds like the best way to give everybody what they want.  

You got civilized folk who want to talk non-motorcycle stuff about grandkids, vacation trips, scavenger hunts, etc.   This is a gentle minded crew of folks who want an open but nice Cafe.

You got rowdy folks who want to talk about Dragon Trips, argue over politics, try to convert other folks to their non-religionousness, etc.   This is a generally rougher crew of folks who could populate a small forum.

Trying to keep them ALL TOGETHER in the same bucket is a built in conflict, no joke.

and I will point out that we already have two lists available and could create more if needed -- Boule or JohnH both know how.   We could have a sane list and a rowdy list complete if need be (maybe excepting Tech section as it really isn't moveable and it is a time consuming thing to keep organized)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #47 - 12/20/10 at 09:04:22

Personally, I think a seperate section is only needed for religion and politics.  As specified in the current guidelines (although it includes the disclaimer "not limited to") those are the most divisive subjects.

Personal attacks should always be a no-no, in my opinion.  Jabs are one thing, attacks are another.

If you move all the non-motorcycle stuff, then what stays in The Cafe?

Rubber Side Down - bike talk
Cafe - non-bike talk
Cellar/Back Room (Dark Room?) - politics/religion/adult?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 12/20/10 at 09:06:29

I talk lots of trash out in the shop,..
Shop Talk?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 12/20/10 at 09:09:24

If its not broke don't fix it,I don't see anything wrong with the way it is,You don't have to read anything you don't want too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 12/20/10 at 09:11:40

Bill, I don't think your one liner hand grenades would be limited all that much in either setting, some are so subtle that you need a current dictionary of urban slang to figure out what the dig was ....  the rest are jest funny.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #51 - 12/20/10 at 09:12:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/20/10 at 09:06:29:
I talk lots of trash out in the shop,..
Shop Talk?

I would think "Shop Talk" would be like we use Rubber Side Down.... working on the bikes, etc.
Just thinking of new folks who happen upon the site... a name should indicate what its about.

Yea, bill67, I actually agree with you.  I think we have behaved very well lately.  Crap gets stirred every once in a while, but basically, its been pretty civil lately. 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 12/20/10 at 09:19:42

Yes it has been relatively civil, and if folks would just PM the moderators with each problem they have AND BE HONEST ABOUT WHAT REALLY GRIPED THEM then maybe we wouldn't be running around chasing "non-motorcycle related" offenses.

In my mind, the big four no-nos are Personal Attacks, Religious Hijacking, Political Hijacking, XX-Rated Materials.  

If we reported any issues according to these terms the moderators wouldn't have to use their naturally faulty telepathy trying to translate your gripes.

It would also give the moderators an impartial handle on encouraging behavior modification by the folks needing that help.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #53 - 12/20/10 at 11:13:50

Cool then, I guess the general consensus is that this would be best:

RSD - is fine like it is, a motorcycle Q&A section

Tech section -  also good

Marketplace - good

Cafe - good for all general topics, excluding religion/politics/flamewars.  Motorcycle talk encouraged, but not required or forbidden.  Nontechnical moto-curiosities like "hey guys look! A monkey riding a scooter!!"  Cheesy  totally fine.

The Shark Tank / Troll Table - new easily ignorable section for religious/political topics and good old fashioned internet roastings.  Moderated only in case of seriously unkind comments.  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #54 - 12/20/10 at 11:28:34

if i go to a cafe or public house and dont like the crowd/topics/ambiance i dont go back...
youll rarely see me at the tall table  Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #55 - 12/20/10 at 11:37:08

Agreed.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 12/20/10 at 12:25:36

And those who go swimming in the shark tank and get bit will learn to stay out of their silly holding pool.

By the same token, bad things that exit the Shark Pool need to be trimmed on sight or if it is a whole thread moved as a whole back into the pool.

===========================

If we do this new section, do you think we need to be stricter about enforcing the general list rules about no Personal Attacks, no Religious Hijacking, no Political Hijacking, no XX-Rated Materials type offenses that occur outside of the Shark Tank?  

Seriously, our real reported issues are people doing these sorts of things outside in the PG rated portions of the list and inside other people's threads, not inside the restricted (and appropriate) areas.

If say, YYYYYYY PMs me that xxxxxx posted a personal attack against her in Rubber Side Down and it verifies as correct, what should happen to xxxxxx?  

Remember, if there are no consequences no changes to errant behavior will actually take place.

« Last Edit: 12/20/10 at 13:29:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #57 - 12/20/10 at 12:34:23

I guess you or any moderator must determine how bad the offence is,
and did Kimcris say something nasty to provoke her personal attack.
Then perhaps you might want to cut the offender off from making comments at all for a determined leaghth of time ,3rd offence and it's ta ta.
PS personal attacks from one moderator to another in the privacy of there little kingdom,don't count. Tongue

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #58 - 12/20/10 at 12:49:33

I think an additional section of the forum for things that most people don't want to discuss or watch being discussed (ad nauseum) is a good idea. And the old "if you don't like sand in your shorts, stay out of the sand (litter) box" would seem to apply. In other words, don't complain about what goes on in the new section - if you don't like it stay out. Anything that spills out of the litterbox needs to be put back or cleaned up so that the rest of the members don't need to see it.

I would say repeat offenders would have to be dealt with, however, I would say that for some time most threads in the forum seem to have been without the type of offenses that have caused me to leave for a while in the past (and then obviously return). Maybe that is because they are at the tall table. The forum has it's trolls (and would probably be better off without them), but I think most people have figured out to ignore them. They seem to be one of the inescapable results of the anonymity of the internet; so to completely eliminate them from this forum is probably either impossible or not worth anyone's time.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #59 - 12/20/10 at 12:55:49

For the record I don't feel I have offended anyone nor have been personally attacked.
I have never contacted any of the moderators with a good or bad comment concerning a post nor a person that made a post here.

I like others have my own views and post them where and when I feel the need to do so.

I will abide by the rules and if I don't like them, I will either post a comment or remain silent.
All the people will never be satisfied. That is impossible. It seems no matter what is done someone will find fault with it.
I do hope that everyone can manage to remember what brought us all together to begin with.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe posting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.