Send Topic Print
Cafe posting (Read 639 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cafe posting
Reply #15 - 12/19/10 at 09:28:08

Ill bet a fella could go to a camp out, with no one there who doesnt ride, & the campfire chat would be about things motorcycle related some & about stuff NOT Motorcycle related.. People talk about different things with the folks they know,, its really kinda normal..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #16 - 12/19/10 at 09:38:51

+ 1

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/19/10 at 10:00:18

Also it is kinda normal for long threads here to move from item to item as the conversation goes along, heck we can't even keep on topic when we are having an oil war fer goodness sakes.   Conversations are like that in the real world.   Why should the Cafe be any different?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #18 - 12/19/10 at 10:02:05

I do several M/C rallys each year and in fact assist as staff with a very large one here in Arizona. Conversations do range about almost anything besides motorcycles. However, a line of respect seems to prevail regarding religion and politics when around the main campfire. To push my views on people who haven't asked is no different then going door to door on a Saturday morning. My best friend and I are complete opposites politically yet we ride thousands of miles together each year and have for almost 30 years now. Once in a while a light comment comes out to see if thoughts have changed but as respect to a great friendship the topic changes to something mutual. I think we all have some knowledge but no one has all the knowledge.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/19/10 at 10:02:23

Maybe cuz someone got it in their head its "Sposed" to be this One Thing,, & life just dont work like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 12/19/10 at 10:14:28

Justin, check me on this as I might have it wrong.   People read the same words and get different shades of meaning from it.   Are the current Cafe rules getting interpreted differently by different folks -- is this what you are saying here?

(or am I totally all screwed up again .... it happens to me periodically)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #21 - 12/19/10 at 11:11:01

Yes the cafe rules are definitely getting interpreted differently by different folks, and I'd say the general interpretation is pretty loose.  A thread on "national sales tax" or "enough is enough" are about as political as topics get.  But nobody complained, so we assume nobody has a problem with it.  

Anyone who sees something they find offensive and is on the wrong side of forum-decorum should send a PM to complain.  Don't be like Charon and just take off, citing politics as the reason but leaving no opportunity to correct the problem.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 12/19/10 at 11:26:31

I agree with Boule,  if you have a problem contact a Moderator and be completely honest about what ticked you off.

In turn, the Moderator needs to be honest with the person who did the offense.   If it was politics, say politics.   If religion, say religion.  If personal attack, say personal attack.

For heaven's sake, not "only talking motorcycle" isn't/hasn't been what people have really been beefing to you about, has it really?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #23 - 12/19/10 at 12:00:33

As for me I know I am one of the religious and political free thinkers.
However I try to keep my stuff at the tall table.,sometimes it gets away from me by someone answering in the cafe,then I try to steer them north,I have almost completly lost interest in politics,as we speak I have changed from a democrat to a indipendant.
And trying to get you guys more in tune with the rest of the world by asking you to support any health plan.that is also going to stop,it's like flogging a dead horse.
And one more thing every time I post motorcycling related posts they fall to the bottom real fast.unlike Sales Tax that I didn't post but it's still there. Look at the number of members who have posted in the tall table,then look at the others.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 12/19/10 at 16:05:35

Boule’tard wrote on 12/19/10 at 11:11:01:
Yes the cafe rules are definitely getting interpreted differently by different folks....

I assume that the Moderators have their own Forum for you guys to talk together about what the rules should be.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 12/19/10 at 16:45:45

Yes, but in this case folks may be reading the same words in the rules and getting different results from it, which is why we asked the question.

Plus you guys had already started talking about it, so as Verslagen pointed out -- go ahead and talk it out.

It really isn't an "us vs them" thing, it's a "we gotta fix it together" thing.

One thing that has come up so far is some people are upset at getting their threads hijacked by folks talking politics and religion in a thread that had nothing to do with such stuff -- thread got derailed and abandoned and such.

This is a valid complaint -- so complain honestly if you have a beef about it happening to you (pick whichever moderator you feel most comfortable with and PM them).

Please don't make moderators have to second guess if you feel over-run -- they will make mistakes both ways if they have to second guess you.  

Hint: a moderator's telepathy isn't any better than yours is.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #26 - 12/19/10 at 17:51:59

Paladin. wrote on 12/19/10 at 16:05:35:
Boule’tard wrote on 12/19/10 at 11:11:01:
Yes the cafe rules are definitely getting interpreted differently by different folks....

I assume that the Moderators have their own Forum for you guys to talk together about what the rules should be.

Sure, but feedback from everyone is welcome, on whether the rule interpretation should be looser, stricter, or leave it as-is.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #27 - 12/19/10 at 20:08:56

As someone mentioned up-post, winter is here, and for those of us in the north-country that means that the bike is sitting covered in the garage with the battery on trickle charge in the basement.

Now for those of you who live in sunny and warm climes, you can ride and presumable talk "motorcycles" all year long. For those of us here in the snow belt, we need to chat about other matters in the wintertime because lets face it, the riding season is months away and the bikes are so cold your tongue would stick to them.

To keep us here day after day in the long winter season we need to be able to exchange ideas. Controversial ideas. It's FUN.

For us to exchange ideas that we deem interesting, we must venture into the taboo subjects of politics, religion, and other controversial areas where we can get the juices flowing, and marvel at the jaw dropping attitudes, beliefs, political and religious views, and opinions of others here at SS.com.

We exchange jabs and sometimes get downright nasty and "pissed" at each other...but at the end of the day we are all brothers and sisters united by this wonderful bike.

The job of the mods should be to move any threads they deem as too controversial for the cafe over to the tall table and let it go at that. NOT to delete the thread unless it's so outrageous it is obvious that should go e.g. the deranged remarks of some nut that we were plagued with on the site some months ago. Everyone at that time united to rid the site of this outrages troll.

Talk just motorcycles day after day and a whole lot of us will just lose interest, drift away to other sites, and say "see you in the spring".

...just my two cents...

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #28 - 12/19/10 at 20:33:31

So what you mean is you can only talk motorcycle while you are able to ride. Your interest in the sport is so narrow that unless it's about you, nobody else has a right to voice interest. Rather then moving your personal blathers about politics or beliefs to the appropriate forum during YOUR off season you must highjack threads from this forum and try to promote anger because "it's FUN".  

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #29 - 12/19/10 at 21:19:18

"So what you mean is you can only talk motorcycle while you are able to ride. Your interest in the sport is so narrow that unless it's about you, nobody else has a right to voice interest. Rather then moving your personal blathers about politics or beliefs to the appropriate forum during YOUR off season you must highjack threads from this forum and try to promote anger because "it's FUN".  

???...are you drunk tonight?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:43:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe posting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.