Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: stories of bugs
Reply #15 - 12/04/10 at 17:29:17

So,...   did ya' swallow, or spit?.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #16 - 12/04/10 at 17:33:07

Was riding home from the Myrtle Beach Bike Rally with a group of guys back in the 90's. One of the riders wearing only jeans and a leather vest hit a seven year locust. He took it in the shoulder next to his leather vest. Went in like a bullet. Had to stop at the emergency room in Greensboro and have the locust cut out of him like a bullet.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/04/10 at 19:33:02

Had to be at work at 5am one morning, it was kind of chilly so I wore my pretty pink leathers. As soon as I walked in the door one of my co-workers pointed and laughed and asked me what I ran into. I knew something had hit me, just figured it was a big bug, no where big enough to be a bird. Between the brown furry stuff and the little feet looking things we figured it was a bat. It must have taken a straight shot upwards after it hit me because it was all over the left shoulder of my jacket and all over the side of my helmet. It was kind of a gross mess to clean but I was glad I had both of them on. Cheesy

IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #18 - 12/05/10 at 08:57:47

Living and riding in South Florida I have splattered my share of bugs. Usually in the Summer you have to clean off the visor every time you stop.

This summer I was taking a ride West on the Bee Line Hwy about 10:00AM when I saw it coming towards me, a Palmetto bug about 3 inches long.  Bang! It hit my helmet visor and snapped my neck back. I momentarily lost control and swerved it right into the water filled swale on the side of the road. The Palmetto was the classic big brown Florida type. The bike and I was in about two feet of water, and it all smelled like a septic tank!

Pushed the bike back onto the road, took my favorite tee shirt off and wiped down all that I could. I noticed that the bug actually put a mark on the visor about an inch long. The bike farted then started after about 10 minutes of playing with it. Road home looking like Swamp road kill. The 30-minute ride back home dried me off and left a nice rancid crust on everything.

Took about three hours to clean and fix the bike. Being totally pissed off gave me the incentive to just get it done. I stripped and grabbed some Go Jo soap and hosed myself off in the back yard before taking a much-needed shower. Wife made sure to level as much abuse as verbally possible while I was delousing myself outside. I think she burned my favorite tee shirt as soon as she heard the shower turn on.

That night I went online and bought a windshield.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #19 - 12/05/10 at 11:28:34

So is that how you came up with your forum name?

A couple years ago I was riding home on the bike, I had my ff helmet on and the visor down.
All of a sudden, kepsplat...It was loud and left a nasty mess on my visor. I remember a large black bug. ICKKkk..
Also I have had birds release themselves and have it land on my visor. So far when that has happened my visor was closed.

Then here is a story not mc related yet bug related.
I was driving in my truck between Sacramento and Marysville Ca. Along the roadside are rice fields. It was Spring and about 10 pm. Before I even knew it I was surrounded by bugs.. My windshield got to splattered the washer fluid couldn't even wash the windshield completly clean.
As soon as I could I got to a gas station and I was not the only one there trying to get the mess off my windshield.
My entire grill, headlights as well as visor were completly covered in bugs. I have never had that happen since and sure would hate to have been on a bike then as well..

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/05/10 at 12:30:55

But you could save the price of dinner by riding with your mouth open.  It's really just a matter of taste.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 12/05/10 at 16:02:05

Out here in the West bugs are not a big problem usually. Even mosquitoes don't come out til the late evening. When I was riding my bike in Illinois it was around noon and the temp was 90.  I had sweat dripping of my chin at traffic lights and mosquitoes were landing on my forearms and neck in droves. Not to sure I could live there. Beautiful country and great people tho. Just big bugs, and I hate bugs!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 12/05/10 at 16:33:53

I was out riding last year during Love Bug season and rode through a huge cloud of them. They coated my face shield so bad I had to turn into a gas station and use a windshield washer squege to scrub the mess off. I didn't even take the helmet off, just scrubbed away with it still on my head. Got some real strange looks from the drivers at the pumps.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/06/10 at 01:46:12

Ed L. wrote on 12/05/10 at 16:33:53:
I was out riding last year during Love Bug season and rode through a huge cloud of them. They coated my face shield so bad I had to turn into a gas station and use a windshield washer squege to scrub the mess off. I didn't even take the helmet off, just scrubbed away with it still on my head. Got some real strange looks from the drivers at the pumps.

Ive done that.  IDK why they look at me like that..its a lot easier than holding it in one hand & scrubbing with the other. Seems they get a bigger giggle out of when I use the squegee end more than the scrubber end

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wayne929
YaBB Newbies

fort myers
Reply #24 - 12/06/10 at 17:49:57

bug chaser, i know everything your talking about down here.  live over in fort myers. gotta stop every hour to wipe the glasses off and it looks like someone threw pepper on my face within 30 sec or going anywhere. the worst is weaing anything but a black shirt!

Go Faster, So the Thrill of Speed Overcomes the Fear of Death
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 12/06/10 at 17:57:04

I guess I've been lucky because I don't have any good personal bug stories.... yet...  the usual buggy windshield and face shield, but nothing major.  My hubby, on the other hand, had a yellow jacket fly down the back of his shirt, from the neck down.  First thought was to take his shirt off, but he couldn't get it off because of his helmet!  He said it was a pretty funny sight to watch!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/06/10 at 20:56:32

Palmetto bug-- cockroach that runs on diesel.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 12/06/10 at 23:47:25

midnight rider! What is a seven year locust?

IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #28 - 12/07/10 at 08:36:27

Yep that’s how I came up with my forum name.
Here’s the classic Florida Palmetto.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/07/10 at 09:32:34

stinger wrote on 12/06/10 at 23:47:25:
midnight rider! What is a seven year locust?

When I was a kid I once caught one live as it was emerging from its shell.
I tied a piece of very light fishing line around its' middle and with about ten feet of line on a small bamboo fishpole, I flew it around the neighborhood like a toy airplane.  It even made its' own engine sound.
Locusts were fun.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:30:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › stories of bugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!