PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
NBR ... car problem
12/07/10 at 14:24:52

I drive a 2005 Toyota Echo with 78,000 kms on her and about once every couple of weeks or so, I'll make one of my commutes with the car radio, vent fan, etc. OFF, so that I can listen for any unusual noises which might signal potential trouble and/or maintenance required. Anyhoo, today coming home from work, I noticed that when making a slow, shap left turn (i.e. coming off a traffic light thru an intersection) I could hear a realtively faint, but noticable "scrape, scrape, scrape" noise that seemed to be coming from the area of the passenger side front wheel ... the noise disappeared once I straightened the steering. This noise does NOT occur when making similar right turns BTW.
I drive conservatively and am not prone to hard braking or acceleration and the front pads and rotors were replaced approx. 12,000 kms ago.
Any ideas? Any/all input deeply appreciated!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: NBR ... car problem
Reply #1 - 12/07/10 at 14:48:05

I've driven Toys for 22 years. My guesses would be 1- brakes
2- wheel bearing
3- cv joint
If your at all mechanically inclined jack the front up and see if you can wiggle the front wheel top to bottom  even a little bit. if you can that means defective  wheel bearing. Then take the wheel off and look at the rotor and the pads. If they appear to be OK then with it in park or gear try to turn the wheel on its axis . If it clunks near the wheel  then it is probably the CV joint. It will have some freeplay at the transmission, though

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 12/07/10 at 18:10:57

Could be as simple as a loose inner fender liner or those built-in mudflaps. Otherwise, I agree with odman.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/07/10 at 19:05:57

Boofer wrote on 12/07/10 at 18:10:57:
Could be as simple as a loose inner fender liner or those built-in mudflaps. Otherwise, I agree with odman.

Agree, I was thinking wheel well/ liner.

You didnt just roll thru some mud, did ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 12/07/10 at 23:56:14

Thanks b'ys ... all 3 suggestions mentioned above did cross my mind as potential sources of mysterious noise ... a loose fender liner did not however!!
Have not rolled thru any mud and/or snow and/or any other substance which might cake up on the inside of the wheels/fenders since last winter!
Will keep posted on what I find out ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/07/10 at 23:59:46

I hope you dont find your neighbors cat in there.
But, if ya do, Hallmark has th right card.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/08/10 at 08:10:33

LOL!!! Wasn't the neighbors cat! Luckily just some corrosion build-up on the back side of the brake rotor on the R.H. side ... was scraping against one of the pad shims when making left turns ... all cleaned up now thankfully!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:43:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › NBR ... car problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.