Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
stories of bugs (Read 291 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

stories of bugs
12/03/10 at 14:05:01

so got an email from victory about a mythbusters episode

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Experience/Pages/0...

about what happens when a motorcyclist hits a bug and if they could be killed by bugs or something.  

so did anyone see this? it ran Wed. Dec 1, and will rerun on the 12th.

also, any personal bug stories?  

I'll start, hit a huge dragonfly once, thing exploded all over my helmet, also hit one of those big flying cockroaches we have here, sounded like a rock and it exploded with red blood and white guts,

reason to where helmet right there

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: stories of bugs
Reply #1 - 12/03/10 at 14:26:20

I saw part of that one, I think, maybe it was the ad for it.  I can't remember, anyway I did not see the whole thing.  Of course, I could have just fallen asleep in the chair.

Anyway, my bug story.  I was riding my Honda fourtrax 300 ATV on dirt roads with my daddy.  For some reason I had on a good shirt and for some reason I decided to take it off, so as to not get it dirty.  As I was riding along, maybe 25-30 mph, some BIG hornet thing appeared and hit me right in the middle of the chest, stinger first, I think.  That think whelped me up pretty good.

That was the worst, but like everyone else I have had bigs hit my legs.  Makes me thankful for my jeans.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/03/10 at 14:42:32

I saw some guy get killed by a grasshopper.

He was racing at Isle of Mann & one splattered across his visor. He was clawing at his visor, trying to get to where he could see, as he was headed into a long sweeper. I guess that was before tear offs.. sad darned thing to see..

I saw a guy jump off a bike & start clawing at his throat once in Tyler,,I guess he hit something with a stinger..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/03/10 at 16:10:25

I ran through a bee swarm once,... musta' hit about 60 of them directly... it sounded like a hailstorm in my helmet...
Pulled over and did a 30 second wacky dance on the side of the road...
Huh...

« Last Edit: 12/03/10 at 17:28:30 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/03/10 at 16:57:51

Serowbot wrote on 12/03/10 at 16:10:25:
I ran threw a bee swarm once,... musta' hit about 60 of them directly... it sounded like a hailstorm in my helmet...
Pulled over and did a 30 second wacky dance on the side of the road...
Huh...

kinda want to see that wacky dance, what no video???

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/03/10 at 19:27:32

This thread bugs me.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/04/10 at 01:45:36

I was riding across the mid west on my savage and decided to see what it was like riding without my full face helmet. My head got fried from the sun so I put it back on and had some kind of black bird with a red breast smash into my visor at 60+ mph. would have caved my face in. Wasn't a bug but same idea.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 12/04/10 at 05:25:24

Bugs and birds:
Years ago a great big fat june bug committed suicide on my helmet front dead center. I lacquered over it. Quite a conversation piece.
Again years ago we had a major infestation of june bugs to the point they were an inch thick under the street lights. Cars and bikes were skidding off the roads.
Not bike related: While returning from our honeymoon camping in Algonquin Park in a '67 Chev van I was going about 80 in one direction and a humming bird was going about 80 in the opposite direction and hit the van on the vent intake. Thump, and the inside of the van filled up with pin feathers. The entire bird except for the head, went through the 1/4" slot in the vent, breaking every bone. except the skull.
Also not bike related: I was driving to work going about 70 and in the distance I saw 4 or 5 pigeons right in the middle of my lane pecking at some scraps of food on the road. All flew away except one who started walking towards me. I figured it would eventually take off but it didn't. I drove over it and looked in the rear view to see if I'd killed it. After tumbling over a few times it continued to walk down the center of the lane as if nothing had happened. My car does not have much ground clearance so either it ducked or was knocked down by air pressure. It did not appear to be hurt.
How can you tell if a biker is happy?
By the bugs on his teeth. I have learned to keep my mouth shut while riding (after catching a few in my mouth. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/04/10 at 05:44:09

june bug in the face. Like getting shot with a frozen paint ball. Small bird to my right shoulder. Leather took a lot of that impact but i had a good bruise for a couple weeks. Like having someone hit you with a hammer as hard as they can. The worst ever though, my first year riding I got a hornet up my right sleeve. Didnt notice until I came to stop light and it started stinging me repeatedly....in the armpit. The line behind me had to wait while I fumbled as fast as possible to get my effing jacket off and i ended up with a golfball sized welt that wouldnt not stop throbbing for the rest of the day and a good bit of the next.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/04/10 at 08:42:40

gain years ago we had a major infestation of june bugs to the point they were an inch thick under the street lights. Cars and bikes were skidding off the roads.

YOu guys shoulda had ducks imported.. OHHH, talk about slick streets tho... yukkk..

At first, when I got the bike, I was so into riding & being "out there" I just had goggles to protect my eyes & I was wearing contacts,( No more contacts for me, thanks). I took a few bugs to the face, & yea, the difference between a June Bug & a small pebble? One has legs.
Its amazing how much pain ya can take when youre having fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/04/10 at 09:30:39

stinger wrote on 12/04/10 at 01:45:36:
I was riding across the mid west on my savage and decided to see what it was like riding without my full face helmet. My head got fried from the sun so I put it back on and had some kind of black bird with a red breast smash into my visor at 60+ mph. would have caved my face in. Wasn't a bug but same idea.

THe one that hit me in the face was a starling I think, Judging by the remains that stuck to the face shield and chin guard.
He won't have the guts to do that again, I know cause I got them, and they stink.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 12/04/10 at 09:45:40

What exactly are june bugs ? I might have run into the while trucking down south,Are they all black ? about the size of a half dollar?
Here is a few I picked up in Texas.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/04/10 at 10:24:03

Those are gnats.
a june bug is a brown beetle about as big as the end of your thumb.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 12/04/10 at 14:37:33

I just got back from a little 50 mile putt,.... wearing just a T-shirt in December, and thinkin'... "How lovely is this?"... and right then a bug flew into my shirt and bit me on the back of the neck...
Bastard!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/04/10 at 16:17:13

I was riding on a guiet country road at about 40mph, with my visor up, singing a happy tune. Some flying critter bounced off the back of my throat. In the time it took me to stop my throat swelled and it was touch and go for the next 15 minutes. I was brought to my knees by a critter the size of a June bug!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › stories of bugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.