Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone else heard about the new VW? (Read 417 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Anyone else heard about the new VW?
Reply #30 - 11/18/10 at 07:37:39

Col. Pescatori -

I agree 100% with you.  That's why the distances between the cities I mentioned are about 500 miles, or less on the east coast.

Another question comes to mind.  For a 300 mile trip, going 200 mph obviously makes the trip 1.5 hours.

What is the marginal cost differential to go that fast on a train, versus going, say 100 mph on a train?  I would presume that the cost increase is significant, not only for the train itself, but also for maintenance of the track bed and rails.

Is the cost differential worth it to save 1.5 hours over making that same 300 mile trip at 100 mph, which I think many trains, and rail beds, can do right now.

Even taking 3 hours to go 300 miles, without the hassles of dealing with the airport might be worth it.  Of course, trains have been terrorist targets too (Madrid and London), so security at a train station would probably be about the same as at an airport.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/18/10 at 09:44:35

I took the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaki in Japan one time. Took couple hours (350 miles maybe?) and it was a nice break from air travel.  But I don’t see high speed trains ever taking market share in the US. Air travel is just too economical and the infrastructure needed for highspeed trains would cost billions to put in place. The payback would be measured in centuries…

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #32 - 11/18/10 at 10:12:25

1. COSTS: TGV tickets cost more than "ornery" tickets, because you get a different kind of service.

2. Quite often TGV trains have dedicated tracks, even dedicated routes, because you can't speed on a route designed in the 1930s for a 50mph steam train

3. SECURITY: The security you need is the security required to keep yourself out of trouble.
 Those nations which are more or less regularly "targets of terrorists" are, if you look carefully, those same nations which:
- have a rich and thick history of colonialism,
- colonized with an overdose of "Gung Ho! Me White Man, you garbage!" attitude,
- use "private security" (=Mercenaries by the Geneva Convention) to push their own industrial interests,
- all of the above.

It's a matter of attitude.

A little respect helps, too.

Remember that anecdote of mine regarding the "Latte" in the airport? Attitude and respect.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/18/10 at 11:30:14

SECURITY: The security you need is the security required to keep yourself out of trouble.
Those nations which are more or less regularly "targets of terrorists" are, if you look carefully, those same nations which:
- use "private security" (=Mercenaries by the Geneva Convention) to push their own industrial interests,
- all of the above.

Remember that anecdote of mine regarding the "Latte" in the airport? Attitude and respect.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit........

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 11/18/10 at 11:40:26

mpescatori wrote on 11/18/10 at 10:12:25:
3. SECURITY: The security you need is the security required to keep yourself out of trouble.

You mean like Spain in 2004?

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #35 - 11/18/10 at 12:15:49

WebsterMark wrote on 11/18/10 at 11:30:14:

SECURITY: The security you need is the security required to keep yourself out of trouble.
- all of the above.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit........

that's alot better than throwing up a little bit in your shorts.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 11/18/10 at 15:03:50

its a rare occasion when I agree with you Mick, but in this case, you're spot on.....

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #37 - 11/19/10 at 05:15:47

Funny how this thread swayed from VW to bullet trains to politics...

...now everybody's a Minuteman... Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 11/19/10 at 05:27:54

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #39 - 11/19/10 at 06:02:39

WM -

Living in Ohio, I've followed this insanity since it began.

There has always been a dream to connect Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.  Before the interstate highway system, we had old U.S. Rt. 3, called the "3 C Highway" that ran that route.

Now, Interstate Rt. 71 does the same, and therein lies the root of the reason that the train is such a silly idea.

I live in Columbus, almost 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Cleveland.  From here, it's about 115 miles southwest to Cinci, and about 125 miles northeast to Cleveland.

I can drive from my office in suburban Columbus to downtown Cinci in about 2 hours, and to downtown Cleveland in 2.5 hours.  Rt. 71 is in good repair, and traffic flows smoothly along it, except for those few days in the depth of winter when the northern 1/3 of Ohio is battered by snowfall, since that part of our state lies within the region known as the Lake Erie snowbelt.

To make either trip by train would take longer.  I would have to drive to a train station, obviously arriving there at least 1/2 hour before departure time to park the car, get my ticket, clear some level of security, and board the train.  Then, the train, at 68 mph, would go exactly as fast as I drive on Rt. 71.  When arriving at some station at the destination, I would then have to get off of the train, get in a cab line with all of the other passengers, and get a cab to wherever I would go in the downtown.

But if my final destination isn't downtown, but in some outlying area of either city, then the whole trip becomes absolute nonsense if by train.

These distances are just too short to make public rail transportation reasonable.

Even those who need to go from Cinci to Cleveland, or the reverse, can drive the trip in just a little over 4 hours.  Again, that's far less time then if they go by this proposed train.

Now, a train would make sense from Columbus to Chicago, New York, St. Louis, etc. - trips of 300 miles or more.  But train travel is nonsense for a 125 mile trip when that same route is served by a very good Interstate highway.

Everyone forgets that train stations are like airports - never your final destination - you have to spend time somehow getting from the station to and from where you're actually going in the destination area.

In Europe, things are much different - gasoline is so much more expensive that travel by private car isn't nearly as cheap as it is here.  Old European cities are more densely populated and the cities don't sprawl as much as ours do, hence, getting from your home or office to the train station isn't as big a hassle as it is here.  Sure, Paris and London are huge and spread out, but the more common, smaller cities are much more dense.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 11/19/10 at 06:08:38

When they had the trains in my town,2 men worked year around taking care of 10 miles of tracks to the next town,So there is a lot of maintenance just keeping the tracks in shape.Then you had the ticket guy.Thats 3 wages for 10 miles of rail.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #41 - 11/19/10 at 09:10:37

Then there is one more problem,air travel is uncomfortable,crowded, the seats are worse than the seat on a savage. using the bathroom is a nusence.
My trip from LA to NY  and back was great, Steak dinner every night ,
full breakfast,both in comfort,stroll down to the bar have a few cocktails, go watch a movie,game of cards with fellow travelers,I was at first reluctent to go that rought but my wife will not fly, So that's what we did.Very enjoyable.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #42 - 11/19/10 at 09:23:29

Mick -

What did it cost, compared to airline fare?

Of course, you were on a leisure trip, not a business trip.  Time was not critical.

My typical trip is for a business engagement; a court hearing or meeting.  Hence, time is of the essence.  For instance, I go to Chicago a lot, at least once a month.  If I have court before noon, I leave the day before in the late afternoon on a 4 PM flight.

With the time change, I get in Chicago at 4:30, and am downtown in my hotel room by 5:30.  Freshen up, go have a drink, go to dinner, come back by 9 and retire for the night.  If court in Chicago is after noon, I take a morning flight, go to court, come home on the 8 PM flight, and don't stay overnight at all.  Try doing that by train.  It's 300+ miles form here to Chicago.

Trains have their place, but I haven't found it yet for what I do from where I am.  People in the northeast corridor have the best opportunity to use trains efficiently, but I don't live there.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #43 - 11/19/10 at 11:58:34

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/19/10 at 09:23:29:
Mick -

What did it cost, compared to airline fare?

Of course, you were on a leisure trip, not a business trip.  Time was not critical.

My typical trip is for a business engagement; a court hearing or meeting.  Hence, time is of the essence.  For instance, I go to Chicago a lot, at least once a month.  If I have court before noon, I leave the day before in the late afternoon on a 4 PM flight.

With the time change, I get in Chicago at 4:30, and am downtown in my hotel room by 5:30.  Freshen up, go have a drink, go to dinner, come back by 9 and retire for the night.  If court in Chicago is after noon, I take a morning flight, go to court, come home on the 8 PM flight, and don't stay overnight at all.  Try doing that by train.  It's 300+ miles form here to Chicago.

Trains have their place, but I haven't found it yet for what I do from where I am.  People in the northeast corridor have the best opportunity to use trains efficiently, but I don't live there.

train tickets were $2,800 a piece that included a cabin and all meals.
As for your 300 miles ,get yourself a 600cc ninja,door to door 5 hours.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #44 - 11/21/10 at 08:59:04

Jerry's analysis on the "3 C" corridor is correct, because of two factors:
1) Trains are obviously slow (68mph is sissy talk in Europe)
2) fuel is cheaper than bottled water
Add the "security controls" issue (you guys think somebody is gong to hijack a train?) and taking a train for such relatively short distances is obviously a no-go.

Now consider having to travel from downtown NYC to downtown Washington DC, or up&down the California coast:
1) taxi to the station (or subway, why not?)
2) 150-200mph bullet train to destination
3) option of a "business lounge" compartment seating 4 or 6, and you can have your rehearse your presentation or a business debrief while you travel.
Do that on a plane... Wink

As I said, bullet trains are excellent competition when the flight is 60-120 minutes long, when distances are within the 250-500 mile range.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:48:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone else heard about the new VW?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.