Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Italian red 8V 90degree Vee (Read 99 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Italian red 8V 90degree Vee
11/19/10 at 03:10:24

But not a Ducati, it's a Moto Guzzi. Radial front brake calipers and note the torque arm above the swingarm, to make a shaft perform like a chain.

Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Italian red 8V 90degree Vee
Reply #1 - 11/19/10 at 03:50:10

Absolutely beautiful piece of racing machinery !

Heavier than Aprilia or Ducati conuterparts, even heavier than BMW R1200S track bike, but the V-twin packs so much torque it'll growl its way out of a tight bend.

Incidentally, have you noticed how different architecture flat- or V-twins will have different noise signatures?
Harley Davidson, Yamaha (MT-01), BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, they all have different sound signatures, you can tell them apart by the noise even before they come around the bend.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 11/19/10 at 04:28:37

I thought my V50 Moto guzzi sounded like a V-8.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/19/10 at 12:22:28

Clive it realy is a beauty.Could you explain a little more about the torque arm, how does it work ?   I have a radial arm saw in my workshop,that being said ,could you also explain how the radial brake calipers work,thanks clive. Boy I must seem like a real dumb schmuck.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/20/10 at 00:46:31

bill67 wrote on 11/19/10 at 04:28:37:
I thought my V50 Moto guzzi sounded like a V-8.

Guzzi does sound like a V8.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 11/20/10 at 03:43:04

Hi Mick
 Calipers first, radial means the mounting bolts for the caliper are radial to the wheel spindle, not parellel like normal calipers.
 Rear sus, at one time all shaft drive bikes had the shaft as part of the swing arm causing lifting of rear under acceleration and squating under engine braking, this was not good for handling. BMW and Moto Guzzi have separated these which on it's own would cause the final drive to spin (anti clock in this pic) so to stop this they fitted the "torque arm" from the top of the final drive to the chassis. This can be compared to chain drive with the top run of the chain and the torque arm being in tension. The amount squat can be reduced by moveing the front of the torque arm down, take this to its limit and you end up with the front of the arm on the swing arm giving the one piece swing arm/shaft we started with.
 Has this helped. The Guzzi in the pic has pretty much parallel swing and torque arms giving a fair amount of squat.

Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #6 - 11/20/10 at 20:16:54

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/20/10 at 21:35:13

you take off for a few days , and then come back with a new bike and girl friend,did you win the lottery ? beatiful bike.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/21/10 at 00:27:02

Speaking of great suspension I took this picture of my Dad on his BSA M21, we had just climed a long farly steep hill,we were just giving the old girl a rest. We were on our way to Liverpool for the over night ferry to the Isle of Man. Just thought you might want see that great suspension , you could actually feel a small pebble if you ran over it.
But I didn't care I was 12 years old and going to the Island for the first time,I hadn't slept all week I was so excited. I loved every minute of it.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 11/21/10 at 03:02:14

Love that photo, Mick, actually I'm drooling after the possibility of finding a compatible front fork with "manly" big drum brake, it would look terriffic on a "1950s style" Savage conversion...

Cool

PS My BMW oilhead (air cooled cylinders, oil cooled heads) sounds like an old school Porsche on accelleration.
Nice ! But I keep her to 5000 rpm max anyway... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:04:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Italian red 8V 90degree Vee

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.