Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone else heard about the new VW? (Read 417 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Anyone else heard about the new VW?
Reply #15 - 11/15/10 at 17:03:40

And 100 more cc without having to hog out a cylinder.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #16 - 11/15/10 at 18:50:30

Midnightrider wrote on 11/15/10 at 09:52:38:

Mike, it reminds me of the old Mescherschmitt 3 wheeler, just 2 seats as I recall.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/15/10 at 22:24:44

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #18 - 11/16/10 at 10:08:35

I saw one in town yestarday ,only it was one third the size ,completly
covered ,looked a bit like a fish , he pulled into the market parking lot
I pulled in next to him,when he opened the top to get out ,I noticed
the bycycle peddal arangment, it was very nicely done ,the guy said 25 / 30 mph  was no problem, and he got 25 miles per gallon of gaterade, As usual I didn't have my camera with me. I got to remember to carry thay thing.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/16/10 at 20:27:12

If a 1800 flat six Goldwing gets 45MPG, what would the  same engine get in this two seater? 80MPG? And all the power you could use!!!

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #20 - 11/16/10 at 22:34:51

JohnBoy wrote on 11/16/10 at 20:27:12:
If a 1800 flat six Goldwing gets 45MPG, what would the  same engine get in this two seater? 80MPG? And all the power you could use!!!

woulden't that depend on over all weight ?
or does streamlining make a bigger difference ?
It would be interesting to find out.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 11/17/10 at 05:06:11

mick wrote on 11/16/10 at 22:34:51:
JohnBoy wrote on 11/16/10 at 20:27:12:

woulden't that depend on over all weight ?
or does streamlining make a bigger difference ?
It would be interesting to find out.

Weight is important when you have a standing start; friction is also important - which makes me wonder why on earth the manufacturers insist on ultra-low fat tires, rather than "ordinary" tires like we had 20/30 years ago.

Aerodynamics are important when the car must "cleave" through the air at speed; I'm sure we've all noticed that it's much more comfortable to sit up straight and enjoy the scenery on our Savages at 40mph than it is at 70+mph...

Hyper-economy cars will highlight skinny tires and aerodynamic contours; too bad all this research is good when you're motoring on a motorway at constant speed, but is useless when you're dragging your feet through commuter traffic.
"Start & Stop" is a killer to any vehicle.

Ideally, a commuter car should have an electric motor (possibly one per wheel, so as to do away with differentials and half axles) and the battery pack should be powered by a "constant regime" small turbodiesel. A 1300cc TDi will easily deliver 70+bhp at 500rpm, so it could be redesigned to deliver some 30bhp at steady revs with low noise and exhaust emissions.
This would allow to plan for ideal performance at a set standard engine speed (i.e. 1800 or 2400rpm) and
Such is the philosophy of marine and aeronautical piston engines.
All the engine would need to do is turn the alternator. Big thick cables would do the rest. No gearbox, no drivetrain, just alternator, cables, batteries and electric motors.

The vehicle's range would only be a matter of battery life and fuel tank capacity; however, think about it:
if you had the opportunity to drive a 100hp car with a gasoline engine, or a hybrid with a 30bhp diesel and two 30-Kwatt motors, which would you choose?
The hybrid would be not only quieter and more economical to drive, it could prove to be cheaper to maintain, too.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 11/17/10 at 11:01:33

Col. Pescatori -

I am certainly no expert on trains, but isn't your idea exactly how modern diesel electric locomotives operate?

Diesel engine powers the alternators that supply current to the electric motors that actually drive each truck of wheels on the locomotive?

Someone out there has got to know a whole lot more about this than I do, but I think I'm right.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #23 - 11/17/10 at 17:10:18

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/17/10 at 11:01:33:
Col. Pescatori -

I am certainly no expert on trains, but isn't your idea exactly how modern diesel electric locomotives operate?

Diesel engine powers the alternators that supply current to the electric motors that actually drive each truck of wheels on the locomotive?

Someone out there has got to know a whole lot more about this than I do, but I think I'm right.

Jerry you might want to look to Asia and Europe,they know how to run trains, like health care we are years behind. Sometimes a slower pace is nice.   That being said bullet trains might be worth looking into,because air travel is becoming a voyeur's paradise , my Daughters who are coming to see me in April ,have decided to come by car. the terrorist are winning. One day the USA will realize what a perfect country this is for high speed rail.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/17/10 at 18:03:54

The efficiency of trains is due to their low friction wheels and long distance travel at constant speed.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #25 - 11/17/10 at 23:52:48

verslagen1 wrote on 11/17/10 at 18:03:54:
The efficiency of trains is due to their low friction wheels and long distance travel at constant speed.

I think those high speed bullet trains have magnetic wheels that repel the rail itself causing it to float,and have way less friction,the faster it goes the less the friction. Seems to me I watched a show about these trains on PBS.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #26 - 11/18/10 at 02:41:56

mick wrote on 11/17/10 at 23:52:48:
verslagen1 wrote on 11/17/10 at 18:03:54:

I think those high speed bullet trains have magnetic wheels that repel the rail itself causing it to float,and have way less friction,the faster it goes the less the friction. Seems to me I watched a show about these trains on PBS.

Close, but too much V (or, not enough research by PBS producers). Bullet trains are specially built to cruise fast non-stop on medium to long haul routes.

STREAMLINED CRUISER FROM THE 1960'S

STREAMLINED CRUISER FROM THE 1970'S

STREAMLINED CRUISER FROM THE 1980'S

T G V

France inaugurated the bullet train era inEurope with the TGV (literally, the "High Speed Train") which would cruise at 300Kmh (yep, 200mph!) and get you from Paris to Marseilles faster than you could say "are we there yet?"

Soon thereafter came the TGV connections from Paris to London and Bruxelles, then the Germans and Spanish and Italians followed suit.
It is now official that you will travel faster and more conveniently from Madrid to Barcelona, or from Munich to Berlin, or from Rmoe to Milan by bullet train than by plane.

Most international routes throughout Europe are now served by bullet trains known as "Eurostar".

EUROSTAR

And now, on a lighter note...

... the Spice Girls reunion for the 2012 Olympic games ...

THEN

15 years later

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 11/18/10 at 06:53:51

High speed trains work in Europe because of the relatively short distances between major cities.

Here is a different story.  Wanna go from New York to Dallas at 200 mph, making several stops along the way, when an airliner can do it in under 3 hours total?  I don't.

There are locations where they would work here - the northeast corridor is the first to mind, then Florida from Jacksonville down to Miami, and perhaps in Texas from Dallas to San Antonio, and last in California from Los Angelese to San Franciso.

But for cross continent travel, you won't replace the jet airliner.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #28 - 11/18/10 at 07:14:04

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/18/10 at 06:53:51:
High speed trains work in Europe because of the relatively short distances between major cities.

Here is a different story.  
[...]
There are locations where they would work here - the northeast corridor is the first to mind [...] and last in California from Los Angelese to San Francisco.

But for cross continent travel, you won't replace the jet airliner.

True.

I never mentioned the "Lisbon to Istanbul" bullet trainm, nor the "Madrid to Moscow", they simply don't exist.

But, picture this:
You're downtown in a major metropolis, have to fly somewhere 300-400 miles away. NYC - Detroit is a good example, or Boston to Washington D.C.
Get a taxi / subway to the airport, wait as you check in, wait as you line up for TSA scans, wait for boarding... hopefully, you won't have to wait in line on the runway...
FLY...
Arrive, disembark and make your way to collect your bags... wait to collect your bags... go to the taxi terminal/subway station, ride downtown to your destinaiton...

OR

Taxi / subway ride to the station downtown, walk to your platform, board and find your reserved seat.
Depart on time, dine at the restaurant car, arrive and you're already downtown...

Cool

Sure, you can't ride a bulelt train NYC to L.A., but for any destination within the 500 mile range a TGV is probably a better option.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 11/18/10 at 07:29:05

I took one of those fast trains from Brussels to Paris.  I loved it!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/27/24 at 03:55:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone else heard about the new VW?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.