Send Topic Print
Blowing Fuses (Read 142 times)
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Blowing Fuses
11/14/10 at 07:33:43

Well, I got the carb back together with new o-rings and fuel mixture assembly after installing raptor petcock. Runs great now after tuning carb; however, before installing the tank and seat I decided to apply dielectric grease to all the electrical connections. Afterwards I switch the key and nothing. I had blown a fuse. Now every time I use the horn, I blow a fuse. I swear this thing is possessed, lol.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Blowing Fuses
Reply #1 - 11/14/10 at 07:41:30

It seems you have a smear of grease connecting 2 contacts.

WWW   IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #2 - 11/14/10 at 07:53:46

verslagen1 wrote on 11/14/10 at 07:41:30:

Very well could be; strange thing is I didn't mess directly with the horn or wiring at all, so I checked for a pinched wire and found nothing. The fuse holds with the horn wiring pulled off regardless of the brake lights, signal lights, or any attempt to blow it. I now need to trace the route of the wiring associated with the horn imo.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/14/10 at 08:48:38

Maybe the horn is blown.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #4 - 11/14/10 at 08:54:39

Phelonius wrote on 11/14/10 at 08:48:38:
Maybe the horn is blown.

Phelonius

Worked fine before I did the carb and petcock, and it works fine the first few times I blow it then the fuse blows. I think I'll go check all the electrical connections and clean some of the grease out. Bike runs great now thanks to all the suggestions here. Odd thing is though when I disassembled the carb, I found a 145 main jet but no plastic washer whatsoever in the slide assembly. I have completely eliminated the backfire/popping though even when I shut it off, no poof. I am happy even if I have to leave the horn unhooked, jk. I'll figure it out eventually.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 11/14/10 at 10:17:37

If you stopped the backfiring completely, its done, finished, there is no hope left for it. It ain't no savage no more, its just another plain ole motorcycle now :'(

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #6 - 11/14/10 at 10:32:40

Routy wrote on 11/14/10 at 10:17:37:
If you stopped the backfiring completely, its done, finished, there is no hope left for it. It ain't no savage no more, its just another plain ole motorcycle now :'(

Well, just dang it then. I didn't do it on purpose if it matters.

IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/14/10 at 15:40:19

Maybe dont blow the horn?  Or lift your tank back up and look for a rub point in the harness?  Or just unplug the horn?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 11/17/10 at 19:59:05

verslagen1 wrote on 11/14/10 at 07:41:30:

I believe that to be highly unlikely.  The OP stated that he was using a dielectric grease.  Plus, we're talking about a 12 volt system here....hardly enough push to throw much of an arc.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 11/17/10 at 20:09:20

99savage wrote on 11/14/10 at 07:33:43:
......I had blown a fuse. Now every time I use the horn, I blow a fuse......

You might consider stripper 'er down again and wiggling the horn wires to see if you can find a short.

I made a tool to assist me in doing wiggle checks on the wires that saves me from blowing out lots of fuses during the test.

It is a license plate light fixture and harness I removed from an old pickup truck eighteen years ago when I was putting a rear bumper on it:

I cut off the OEM connector and crimped on some spade connectors to the ends of the two wires:

You can see where I filed down the spade connectors so that they would fit into the holder for the fuse.

I pull the fuse on the suspect circuit, plug my tester leads into the fuse holder, turn on the ignition switch, and wiggle away.  If I find a short to ground, the light gets really bright.  I do, however, find it useful to first disconnect the headlight and taillight bulbs to keep the test lamp from being too bright all of the time.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #10 - 11/18/10 at 06:31:44

Digger wrote on 11/17/10 at 20:09:20:
99savage wrote on 11/14/10 at 07:33:43:
......I had blown a fuse. Now every time I use the horn, I blow a fuse......

You might consider stripper 'er down again and wiggling the horn wires to see if you can find a short.

I made a tool to assist me in doing wiggle checks on the wires that saves me from blowing out lots of fuses during the test.

It is a license plate light fixture and harness I removed from an old pickup truck eighteen years ago when I was putting a rear bumper on it:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/Garage/CircuitTesterE.jpg

I cut off the OEM connector and crimped on some spade connectors to the ends of the two wires:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/Garage/CircuitTesterLeadsE...

You can see where I filed down the spade connectors so that they would fit into the holder for the fuse.

I pull the fuse on the suspect circuit, plug my tester leads into the fuse holder, turn on the ignition switch, and wiggle away.  If I find a short to ground, the light gets really bright.  I do, however, find it useful to first disconnect the headlight and taillight bulbs to keep the test lamp from being too bright all of the time.

IHTH!

Thanks for the advice but I can't see the pics. I pretty sure my short is in a connector because each time I disconnect and reconnect, the "short" takes longer to cause a problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 08:12:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blowing Fuses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.