Beringer (Read 202 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Beringer
Reply #15 - 11/11/10 at 11:58:06

Very good Jerry,The reason I am so sure of the gyroscopic effect on aircraft.As a young led I was into model building,I thought I was so smart when I went running to my Dad and told him my great idea for saving rubber on aircraft wheels.  My dad was a aircraft mechanic that worked all through the war on Spits and Hurricans, The rubber situation in Britain during the war had gotten to the critical stage,didn't it all come from Burma then ?  Anyway my dad went to tell me about these experiments that were done to save rubber .Spinning wheels was one of them,they tried on hurricans mostly ,they tried a slow speed ,and as close to landing speed as possable,each time the plane
touched down it veered from side to side and was out of control for several seconds,along time in pilot speak . My Dad also held a patent for a device that helped stop the browning machine gun in the wings from jamming, just a simple little thing,hopefully saved some lives. He was paid a penny for the patent because it was made on company time. After the war My dad did go on and get his flying licence,single engine.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #16 - 11/11/10 at 12:32:54

Yo, mick -

I wish I could have met your dad - we could have told some real tales and I could have learned a lot from him.  Sounds like he was one of those great guys from his generation.

I'm surprised that RAF worried much about tire wear on Spits and Hurricanes - weren't most RAF stations still basically large, sod fields during the early War years?  And with the relatively light weight of a Spit or Hurricane, I wouldn't have thought that tire wear was a big deal, especially operating off of sod fields.

The experiments I knew of related to bombers.  As they weigh many times what  a small fighter does, tire wear with them is more expensive, as they have more tires and they wear out so much faster with the weight.  When our B-47 came along, tires were wearing out really fast, since it was the first jet bomber to be built in any large numbers, and it landed much faster than anything before it.

Remember how it had the big drag chute that was deployed after landing to slow it down?  Many fighters had them too, including my all time favorite, the F-4 Phantom.  Brake technology wasn't that advanced then, and the drag chute was needed to slow down even using a 10,000 foot runway.

The F-4 emergency procedure for a drag chute failure to deploy was mainly to stand on the brakes, bend over and kiss your posterior good bye, and hope that 47,000 pounds of iron screaming down the runway at 160 mph would come to a stop before you ran out of runway.  If it did stop, the brakes were probably so hot that the landing gear was trashed, and you might even get a gear fire from the overheated hydraulic fluid in the braking system.  The brake discs would get red hot and heat up the fluid to its flash point.  Of course the tires were goners.

The kind of stuff for 25 year olds; not old men.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/11/10 at 14:04:08

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/11/10 at 12:32:54:
Yo, mick -

I wish I could have met your dad - we could have told some real tales and I could have learned a lot from him.  Sounds like he was one of those great guys from his generation.

I'm surprised that RAF worried much about tire wear on Spits and Hurricanes - weren't most RAF stations still basically large, sod fields during the early War years?  And with the relatively light weight of a Spit or Hurricane, I wouldn't have thought that tire wear was a big deal, especially operating off of sod fields.

The experiments I knew of related to bombers.  As they weigh many times what  a small fighter does, tire wear with them is more expensive, as they have more tires and they wear out so much faster with the weight.  When our B-47 came along, tires were wearing out really fast, since it was the first jet bomber to be built in any large numbers, and it landed much faster than anything before it.

Remember how it had the big drag chute that was deployed after landing to slow it down?  Many fighters had them too, including my all time favorite, the F-4 Phantom.  Brake technology wasn't that advanced then, and the drag chute was needed to slow down even using a 10,000 foot runway.

The F-4 emergency procedure for a drag chute failure to deploy was mainly to stand on the brakes, bend over and kiss your posterior good bye, and hope that 47,000 pounds of iron screaming down the runway at 160 mph would come to a stop before you ran out of runway.  If it did stop, the brakes were probably so hot that the landing gear was trashed, and you might even get a gear fire from the overheated hydraulic fluid in the braking system.  The brake discs would get red hot and heat up the fluid to its flash point.  Of course the tires were goners.

The kind of stuff for 25 year olds; not old men.

I'm sure Jerry that testing on bombers was also carried out. Did you know that every citizen in Britain was obliged to turn in any scrap metal, mostly though it was not scrap, they came and took all iron railings around houses ,we were expected to hand over all alluminium pots and pans. It was about this time my dad took up motorcycling, you could own a car but to keep in running on two gallons a week was tough. he also rode bycles.Smoked a pipe and always carried a sketch pad and a small water color box. one of his fellow workers was a fantastic artist,and my dad and him became good friends ,he taught my dad to draw and paint on there lunch hour. His name was Reynolds
not Joshuh. I had one of his paintings ,but it got badly smoke damaged in a fire.
My dad had a dark side that is to personal to go into.But generally a very decent man,and a perfect father.

Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 11/11/10 at 14:24:59

Mick -

I know that life was much tougher in England during the war than it was here - we never got bombed.  But beyond that, we had only voluntary things like turning in your pots and pans, never compulsory.

We had gas rationing too - some people like doctors, who made house calls then, were exempt, but it affected most people.  We had meat rationing for a part of the war, but it ended before the Japanese surrendered.  There was a big black market in gas and meat rationing stamps.

My mother said the meat rationing was the worst - most people ate lots of meat then, naturally didn't know as much about diet and nutrition as we do now.

Everything about WW II, from the absolute national togetherness about winning the war, to life on the homefront was a time, the likes of which we'll never see again.

Can you imagine Americans ever again being so united toward a common goal?  We had a bit of that feeling for a few weeks after 9/11, but then the conspiracy idiots surfaced, and once again Americans were b!tching about their government's policies and aims.  How did we go so wrong?  During WW II, FDR had his political foes, but when it came to winning the war, everyone was together.

My dad started the war in the Navy, but soon transferred to the Army Air Corps, and finished out the war flying B-17s from England.  He loved to talk about his experiences, unlike a lot of vets, but I think the infantry soldiers are mainly the ones who didn't talk as much as the flyers did.  Flyers saw lots of carnage too - it wasn't all romantic chivalry when a German 30mm cannon shell or a hunk of flak ripped thru a B-17, tearing apart bodies as well as metal.

They truly were the greatest generation.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/11/10 at 14:31:53

Absolutly   + 1