Beringer (Read 202 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Beringer
11/10/10 at 03:51:03

This is the Beringer 4 disc system, it's supposed to reduce gyroscopic inertia. What do you think ?

Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Beringer
Reply #1 - 11/10/10 at 04:48:11

So how does adding another disc reduce gyroscopic inertia?  They both are still going around in the same direction.
Why would you want to reduce gyroscopic inertia? It would seem to me that gyroscopic inertia is one of the stabilizing powers that assists riders in control of the two wheel machine.
All I see is more braking power due to more swept area.

Sasquatch Jim

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 11/10/10 at 05:23:42

+1

It's only useful when you have a single disc setup and cannot upgrade to dual discs.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/10/10 at 08:40:21

During WW11 they tested a device that would speed up wheels just prior to landing, supossed to make landing smoother,but it had the oppersite effect and almost ran the plane off the runway,it went everywhere but straight.
Jerry are you out there ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/10/10 at 10:19:28

mick wrote on 11/10/10 at 08:40:21:
During WW11 they tested a device that would speed up wheels just prior to landing, supossed to make landing smoother,but it had the oppersite effect and almost ran the plane off the runway,it went everywhere but straight.

Then why do they not have control problems on take off?  the wheels are spinning as they leave the ground.  They have got to have gyroscopic influence then too but they don't have problems.  It your statement is correct, the mechanism that was used to spin the wheels must have been on a different axis and it was the influence, not the spinning wheels.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/10/10 at 11:08:43

Phelonius wrote on 11/10/10 at 10:19:28:

Then why do they not have control problems on take off?  the wheels are spinning as they leave the ground.  They have got to have gyroscopic influence then too but they don't have problems.  It your statement is correct, the mechanism that was used to spin the wheels must have been on a different axis and it was the influence, not the spinning wheels.

Phelonius

It's hard to land a plane on 2 tanks.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/10/10 at 11:45:07

Phelonius

the wheels will not have that effect if going around in mid air,besides the pilot can apply the breaks after becoming airborne.
that is why the plane will not be effected before landing, only after touchdown.I dont have to ty and convince you ,it's a fact,try and google it.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/10/10 at 14:53:55

mick wrote on 11/10/10 at 11:45:07:

Phelonius

the wheels will not have that effect if going around in mid air,besides the pilot can apply the breaks after becoming airborne.
that is why the plane will not be effected before landing, only after touchdown.I dont have to ty and convince you ,it's a fact,try and google it.

Google it under what phrase?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/10/10 at 17:40:56

hope this works. at least I found something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At press time, we had received three responses to the reader who wanted to know why aircraft tires aren't configured with wind-catching profiles that would bring the wheels up to air speed before the plane lands (Sensors, January 2000). Here they are:

Why don't airplanes spin up their landing gear wheels to land-speed before touchdown, or why don't tire designers make the tires automatically spin up using air flow?

The best answer I've heard for this perennial question is that adding those huge gyroscopes (each wheel, multiplied by the number of wheels, and then there is the moment to calculate and on and on) to the plane right at the time when quick responsiveness (if a jumbo jet can be quickly responsive) is a safety hazard. It would make the plane unresponsive, and the pilots would no longer have that fingertip control required for maneuvering.

Consider this experiment: take your front bicycle wheel off and hold it by the axle tips between your two hands directly in front of and in line with your body at chest height. Have a friend give it a really good spin-up and then try to run down a winding hallway without hitting anything while maintaining the wheel attitude directly in front of your body--i.e., turn the wheel for every turn you make in the hallway.

See? Now you don't want your pilots trying to do that with a plane they are landing on a short runway with the planes wheels spun up, do you? Especially not with you aboard!

Phelonius, the pilot applied the brakes after take off to stop any  gyroscopic  effect.

« Last Edit: 11/10/10 at 22:22:44 by mick »  

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/10/10 at 17:43:30

Mick -

I'll reply tomorrow when I'm in the office. It's hard to type much on this Blackberry.

Jerry

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/10/10 at 18:00:04

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/10/10 at 17:43:30:
Mick -

I'll reply tomorrow when I'm in the office. It's hard to type much on this Blackberry.

Jerry

get a droid, then you'll know hard typing  Wink

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #11 - 11/10/10 at 18:06:54

klx650sm2002 wrote on 11/10/10 at 03:51:03:
This is the Beringer 4 disc system, it's supposed to reduce gyroscopic inertia. What do you think ?
http://www.beringerbrakes.co.uk/users/www.beringerbrakes.co.uk/upload/dscf013...
Clive W Smiley

I like them. I'm sure it would improve braking but they look so trick! As far as reducing gyroscopic effect, perhaps it would apply if you replace larger diameter single disk for smaller dia. double. Seems the larger would still give better brake feel though.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/10/10 at 18:27:18

If you try the bicycle wheel expirement remember to tilt the wheel as you turn, the same as leaning the bicycle. Then it will work

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #13 - 11/11/10 at 11:00:38

If gyroscopic effect didn't work while airborne, then you wouldn't be able to throw anything but a straight fastball while pitching.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 11/11/10 at 11:30:04

I know very little about the "pre-rotators" that were experimented with in the WW II and post war years on large aircraft.

What I do know is that the experiments were discontinued because the added cost and complexity weren't worth the minor savings in tire wear.

Airplane tires have a very short life.  In the 1950s, as jets came into being, with landing speeds in excess of 150 mph, and with still more primitive tire compounds of that era, some airplanes were only getting about 15 landings per tire change.

The issue is that when an airplanes lands, its tires have to speed up from zero to whatever the landing speed is in a fractional of a heartbeat.  That scrubs a tremendous amount of rubber off of the tire.  If you ever look at a runway, you can see what look like skid marks are the ends of the runway - this is the rubber that has been scrubbed off during each landing.  Even today, runways are routinely closed now and then for a day's worth of rubber removal from the pavement.

But as tire compound science developed, tire wear rates were significantly reduced, so the idea of having a device to get the tires rotating before landing just wasn't worth the added cost and complexity.  But I know of no control difficulties found during those experiments, but they may have been there - I just don't know.

Also, back when airplanes routinely landed on grass runways, the problem was no where nearly as big, because a tire will actually "scoot"  or slide some on the grass, since grass has far less friction than pavement, and the tires could come up to speed over a longer period of time with far less scrubbing of the tread.  Of course, nowadays, only the smallest of light airplanes still routinely use grass.

As for pitching baseball curves, sliders, etc. is has a lot more to do with the areodynamics of a baseball and how the balls rotates leaving the pitcher's hand.  We have a doc at our airport who used to be a pitching scout for the NY Yankees.  He gives a wonderful talk to flying groups about the aerodynamics of pitching and his story weaves together aerodynamics with athletic prowess.  As he waves his hand around, it's really neat to see how big a World Series championship ring is.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:10:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Beringer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.