ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: oil level in window
Reply #16 - 10/31/10 at 00:49:21

Lupo,...  
I need my oil checked ,.... again...
Can you bring your buddies and tools?... Huh...

... and I think my wurber might be missconfabulated.... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/31/10 at 02:14:01

mscepu101,

You may garner from the humorous comments above that oil level is like oil brands around here, subject to much energetic and humorous bantering.

Suzuki has a checking method they recommend that is somewhat labor intensive and leaves you with a certain amount (small) of oil reserve.  

On new bikes that use no oil, this is fine.  Do it the book way.  Newbies still have great faith in books like Clymers and user manuals and stuff like that.

Once you have rubbed the sharp corners off your new S40 with some user miles (over 10,000 of them) and begin to use a little oil you will begin to appreciate the old timers point of view on this subject, which is to fill the bike on the side stand so you can see it peeping over the bottom edge of the window.

(yes Virginia - this is overfilled to the book method).

But now, in order for this here "oil fill war" to start itself up all properly like, all somebody has to do is state that the book method is the right and proper way and state some reason as to why that is (even the old hack about Suzuki engineers knowing what they are talking about will do).

Them eager bored boys is all ready and waiting, everyone has answered the roll call and they all has their kevlar kit on .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 10/31/10 at 05:21:31

OF, The Newbies keep us sharp by asking questions we haven't heard before, and you've got to admit the pictures in Clymers are great when you go in to eat lunch and wipe out your memory while doing a teardown. Especially if you are prone to having a quick nap after lunch. Or is that just me? Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 10/31/10 at 06:17:39

Grin

I love my Clymers manual -- but mine is fully annotated with lots of reality notes and has corrections written in for all the many goof ups that the list has uncovered the hard way.

And we HAVE to have newbies, no one experienced will crank off a good boredom-killing discussion unless a newbie steps on a land mine first and blows his leg off .....

hee hee hee,  silly newbie

..... first you stop the arterial bleeding then you can start discussing the points at hand.

===================================

A point at hand then,    manual sez 2.5 quarts goes in at an oil change.

Well, when you use the low window to mid-window on the side stand method, guess about how much oil you got in there?  

Yup, about 2.5 quarts, give or take.

And it ain't gonna fit in there if you are upright, no way no how.

So which one was the Suzuki/Clymer's goof this time -- the amount of oil or the inspection method?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/31/10 at 07:36:59

Oil isnt an "Exact" thing. Not even in cars. The dipstick on a car has a Low & High level with a set of "Keep it Tween these lines" marks. No need to have a coronary over a coupla ounces. The folks here have demonstrated that the engine wont suffer from being a bit over full. Next time I change oil, I think Ill go with that.
Some folks even fill it till they see oil in the window while its on the stand. I like the More OIl idea because oil is important to the cooling of the engine &, since mine uses oil, that means I have a cushion before I have to add or hurt something.
Actually, how Much oil isnt neeeaaarrly as important as What KIND.

Ive heard that Klotz is such a fine product that the engine can be run with NO OIl IN it, as long as you slap a Klotz decal ON the Engine itself. On the gas tank wont do, the engine has to feel the Klotz ON it, or itlll blow. Well,, I Think I heard that, somewhere,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 10/31/10 at 07:41:19

Grin

Oh my goodness .... we done got us a billistic agent provocateur

You know if you provoke them billisms HE will appear and sprinkle red magic fairy dust over this discussion, don't you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/31/10 at 07:46:04

Im just goofin, yu know? Bill's a good egg, when hes not busy being a curmudgeon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 10/31/10 at 08:03:35

Klotz being red shows up really good in the oil window,Just another of its many benefits.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 10/31/10 at 08:10:45

bill67 wrote on 10/31/10 at 08:03:35:
Klotz being red shows up really good in the oil window,Just another of its many benefits.

Unless you actually use your bike, then it turns black just like the good ol' amber stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 10/31/10 at 08:15:29

After 4000 miles with the same Klotz the oil hasn't changed color at all,Its just as clean as the day I put it in,The reason better ring to wall seal,Without out that your oil will get dirty. Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/31/10 at 08:42:40

Let's see, 4,000 miles divided by 710 miles per year is what ??  

5.63 isn't it ???

So, it's been 5+ years since Bill last changed his oil and 29 years since the last time he adjusted his valves .....  and it's still nice and red.

So remember Bill's sage words of wisdom:

"After 4000 miles with the same Klotz the oil hasn't changed color at all,Its just as clean as the day I put it in,The reason better ring to wall seal,Without out that your oil will get dirty."

Grin                 without "out" how would you ever know what color it is?  

I think the appropriate Billistic translation is that red dust Klotz magic is transcendental, bridging both time and motorcycles to keep its virgin redness intact.

Remember, Verslagen's opinion after using a gallon of the exact same oil doesn't count, as he doesn't clap for Tinkerbell and he doesn't put out milk for the red-dust pixies like a true believer would do -- he is an unbeliever and according to Bill he is to be counted among the many liars that post around her.

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Back to the question on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The amount of oil or the inspection method?

One of them has to be listed on the master Clymer's Goof Listing in Tech Section ....

Which one shall it be ?

« Last Edit: 11/15/10 at 15:45:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/31/10 at 08:58:10

..... and for you Bill, I have a dirty rotten trick question.  

If Klotz provides a better piston ring to wall seal, is the Klotz moving with the piston ring like a surface coating or is it staying unaffected on the cylinder wall with the piston rings jest sliding over the top of it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/31/10 at 09:04:14

Which piston are you talking about?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 10/31/10 at 09:12:58

..... we only got one piston in our engine Bill, and I don't think we have been talking about the rubber cup piston in the master cylinder, now have we?

Are you perhaps confusing this with your Klotz fork oil?    In which case that would be pistons (2) because we have two down tubes on the front forks.  

But no, I think Verslagen was talking about Klotz engine oil turning black to which you replied .....

"After 4000 miles with the same Klotz the oil hasn't changed color at all,Its just as clean as the day I put it in,The reason better ring to wall seal,Without out that your oil will get dirty."

============================

and to further confuse you, let's get back to the question on the table ....

Back to the question on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The amount of oil or the inspection method?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/27/24 at 03:55:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.