Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Send Topic Print
oil level in window (Read 4827 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: oil level in window
Reply #45 - 10/31/10 at 14:33:58

I do not agree that the windows are "screwed up." Overfilling the master cylinder will do no harm, as long as you don't spill fluid all over the bike when reinstalling the cover. The battery window only provides a chance to observe the lines on the battery - and on only one cell at that. The engine oil check window seems to work just fine for me, as long as I hold the bike where it balances. Where's the problem?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 10/31/10 at 14:49:42

Ask the Suzuki Salesman -- our official source for the screw-uppedness.

Heck, don't ask me -- I ignore the other two as unnecessary and use the oil window in a way that works better (and hits pretty close to the 2.5 quarts mentioned in the owners manual).

I'm the official thought provoker in this war and the question on the table is "which item is wrong"?

Charon says the oil window and the other windows aren't screwed up, they are what they are.

So it gets down to -- what is the answer the question on the table.

Back to the question on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The amount of oil or the inspection method?

One of them has to be listed on the master Clymer's Goof Listing in Tech Section ....

Which one shall it be ?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #47 - 10/31/10 at 16:08:27

Quote:
So, oil amount of 2.5 quarts or the checking method -- which is in error?
------------------------------------------------------------
Simple, only an idiot would design that method of checking oil.
And we all proved that its wrong. And we all proved the right way to do it,....leave it on the side stand, (I prefer wheel to the right) and use the 2.5 qt. capacity.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #48 - 10/31/10 at 16:12:55

Our oil gauge is a lot better than our gas gauge... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #49 - 10/31/10 at 16:27:13

As Verslagen said, there's lots of nooks and crannies you can't fully drain.  2.5 qts. is the factory service manual recommendation (p.2-10) ONLY after a total engine rebuild that removes all oil.  Otherwise, 2.1 qts. for usual oil + filter change or 1.9 qts. for oil drain only.  When checking the sight glass allow for oil expansion when hot that should not exceed the upper mark.  Otherwise you risk aerating the oil and too much blow by.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #50 - 10/31/10 at 17:11:13

It is easy to say "..only an idiot woud design that method of checking oil." Perhaps it isn't so easy to design a better system. Remember, of course, that cost is always an issue. The ideal would be to put the sight glass on the centerline of the bike, so it would always read correctly whether the bike was level or not. But that puts it either on the front subject to rocks from the front tire, or on the rear where it would be impossible to see. A dipstick is another nice choice, but runs into the same problems of levelling the bike. My old Twinstar had a dipstick. Checking the oil required removing the dipstick and wiping it clean, holding the bike level and reinserting the dipstick, then removing the dipstick and trying to see where the oil line really was (difficult with clean oil). If the dipstick were on centerline, where it needs to be, it becomes difficult to access.

I think the best solution is a center stand. Then, either a dipstick or a sight glass becomes easy. My 2007 250 Ninja has a center stand - but Kawasaki removed the center stand from newer ones. My '83 Suzuki Tempter had a center stand and sight glass. Those of us who buy bikes without a center stand generate many of our own problems.

It is easy for us to nitpick and gripe about how poorly designed things are. It is not so easy to redesign them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 10/31/10 at 17:34:27

I agree.

I consider my self a newbie savage owner only because this is my first bike since being absent from the sport for nearly 20 years.  After taking the BRC I realized I never was as good as I thought I was and I should get a bike that inspires confidence so that I can acquire skill.

That being said my two prior bikes (GS450E ('81) and GS850 ('80)) both had center stands that were very useful.  Not to mention tripmeters!

Checking the oil was easy! And accurate.

I hope to keep my savage a good while but may investigate how to get a center stand.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 10/31/10 at 18:24:08

If you had a dip stick to check the oil every time you wipe it of to check you waste oil and good oil aint cheap.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #53 - 10/31/10 at 21:03:17

Quote:
It is easy for us to nitpick and gripe about how poorly designed things are. It is not so easy to redesign them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Who said it needs redesigning ?
If you had been paying attention, you would know that it doesn't need redesigning. It works perfect just like it is,......just leave it on the side stand and keep the oil tween the marks.
Repeat,.....it doesn't need redesigning, because it works perfect just the way it is if checked while on the side stand.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 11/01/10 at 03:14:52

Rokrover brings up the point of whupping up excess oil and making froth which is a reasonable enough concern based upon machinery in general.  

The concern really doesn't apply to us Savagers and these are the reasons why.

The Savage has an oil shelf that is integral to the cases that encloses the crankshaft to protect it from oil splash from the gear case.  This shelf is just above the oil window, so you will know its location.  The main oil gallery run is part of the web structure, so you can place it that way as well.   So, no frothing from crank hitting anything.  Ditto for the countershaft -- it also is enclosed and is much higher up, on top of the crank to the front of the engine.

The gear clusters are in line horizontally with the crank shaft (which is centered 2.75 inches over the oil shelf) and the gear clusters aren't as big as the crank counterweight which is pretty large.  There is no shelf under the gear clusters, but since they are up out of the oil, it likely isn't needed as the gears would probably like an occasional splash or two of oil.

Next, the oil level drops down WELL BELOW THE WINDOW when you crank up the bike.   The missing oil goes into circulation in the galleries, the barrel and head oil passages, the head bath and also we have enforced circulation inside all the hollow parts of the gear shafts and inside the large oil passages integral to that big crankshaft (yup, our crank assembly carries pressurized oil all the time).  

This is true even when you use the full 2.5 quarts by using the sidestand check method, the oil immediately drops way below the window -- so it is like 1.5-2.0 inches below the oil shelf and about 2.5-3.0 inches away from the largest gear cluster.

I don't think oil frothing is a big issue, I certainly haven't noticed any froth or bubbling in the oil window after running the bike.  I do notice the window stays pretty much empty for about the first 2-5 seconds after you cut the bike off but the oil comes back down from the top end pretty quickly after that and the window fills back up.

Increased oil consumption -- nope, I haven't noted any.  I didn't start using the trick until I already had some oil consumption so I will rely on others to more completely answer that question.  

Currently there are 25 people on the list using the 2.5 quart side stand check method and so far no one has reported any increased oil consumption or frothing.  This is not an isolated trick, all these 25 people have watched the side stand oil drop down out of sight when the bike was cranked and all of them are aware of how much oil their bike uses and would be aware of any extra usage or frothing.

And some of them are just doing it to catch me being wrong, so they are the very very best witnesses for any frothing or oil consumption.  

Grin

=======================

And then there is Ed.    

Ed runs a large oil cooler that is only pumped full of oil when the bike is running.   Ed sets his oil level to peep at the bottom of the window while the bike is held upright and is running at idle (after a few throttle blips to get it all up into the oil cooler that is).  He runs his oil level about 0.75 - 1.0 inch below the oil shelf while the bike is running.

Ed runs the highest oil level of any of us as there is at least a quart of oil up in that oil cooler that comes back down each time when he shuts the bike off.   Mebbe he can shed some light on oil frothing or oil consumption as he has jest got to have him some crank and gear cluster oil contact when he first starts up the bike.   I mean -- jest gotta be happening, big time.

« Last Edit: 11/01/10 at 05:48:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #55 - 11/01/10 at 05:04:04

Frothing,....?
Sounds like something near the same as foaming.... that used to happen way back in the 60's more when non detergent oil was very common ?

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 11/01/10 at 05:26:10

Yeah, oil has improved a whole lot since then.

If you use one of the Rotella family of oils you would likely have to work real real hard to get it to foam or froth since it was designed specifically to not do any of that sort of garbage.

But we got 25 people using different oils, so let's see what they have to say about it.

Remember, every one of us who changed over was a "Doubting Thomas" when we first did it and we all LOOKED HARD for this sorta stuff when we first did it ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/26#26

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 11/01/10 at 05:43:17

So it gets down to -- what is the answer to the question on the table.

Back to the question that is on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The 2.5 quart amount of oil or the inspection method?

One of them has to be listed on the master Clymer's Goof Listing in Tech Section as one of them is another goof ....  one of them is gonna get another penciled note added to everybody's Clymer manual.

Which one shall it be ?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #58 - 11/01/10 at 06:54:52

OF,
Quit pretending you don't know ! Wink

Where'd that poll go that had to do w/ this ?
Seems like that answered it.

Thinking back, when I bought my '07 used,.....and from a dealer, the oil was between the lines when on the stand. I thought that was normal, so did they I'd guess. But my brother....who has an '07 also, like'ta had heart failure over it, showed me the book. So like an idiot, I changed oil, and filled and checked like the book. But after my bike fell over while checking the oil the book way, (rolled forward off the stand when letting it back down) thats when (a year+ ago) I brought this up here. And it has been in controversy ever since. In the meantime, I realized that the previous owners mamma didn't raise no dummy, and checking oil is no longer an issue for me.

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #59 - 11/01/10 at 06:56:47

I hold the brake when I lean mine up to look at oil, but , Next oil change, I wont.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 10:33:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.