Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2013 California Motorcycle Law (Read 195 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
2013 California Motorcycle Law
10/06/10 at 16:24:39

Read this interesting item today on what Arnie signed into law.

Starting in January 2013 new bikes will be required to have a EPA sticker showing the exhaust is "clean" and does not exceed 80db (which is roughly as loud as a vacuum cleaner.)

http://www.motorcyclepartsandaccessoriesblog.com/2010/09/29/california-motorc...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2013 California Motorcycle Law
Reply #1 - 10/06/10 at 16:49:51

I guess loud pipes won't be saving any lives in California.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/06/10 at 17:46:33

You know,... I do like a nice deep mellow rumble on a bike... but, on the other hand, I am getting tired of the constant assault from cell phone loud talkers, fart can mufflers, ghetto blasters, totally un-muffled vehicles, diesel idlers, alarm systems, and horn addicts... so, I can understand where the need came from...  
Maybe I'm getting old or,... I prefer to think of it as maturing...

So, it's kinda' that saying, "Your rights end at the tip of my nose"... or in this case,... eardrum...

... ever try to get back to nature in a national park only to find some jerk brought his crap music and feels he needs to share with everyone?...  
He's why I don't carry a gun...
... but, he may change my mind...

Okay,... rip me new one... Huh...

PS... my Sporty muff is EPA rated 80dbs, stamped on the can... and it's pretty loud...
... and apparently this law is just for new bikes, so it won't make any difference anyway...
...not far enough, in my book... people are just gonna' replace them, or drill them out...
... isn't that the law already?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #3 - 10/06/10 at 18:44:14

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/06/10 at 20:29:00

first South Park I ever watched all the way through...

Is there a car alarm episode?...Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #5 - 10/06/10 at 22:02:38

..ain't it cool Cool

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 10/06/10 at 23:07:20

Just a comment.  It seems to me that one of the most common modifications made by members of this site is to replace the stock muffler with a Harley Muffler.  Hmmmmm?

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #7 - 10/08/10 at 09:44:57

It's like passing gas...somehow yours doesn't seem as obnoxious as everybody elses... Grin

I'm torn on this because there's not a doubt in my mind I would have been backed over at that accident's traffic stop a couple years back by the lady in the SUV with the tinted windows. Back too high to see my headlight, horn wasn't loud enough (replaced with aftermarket since) but she heard my REV!!! On the other hand, we had a ride to the St. Louis area veteran's hospital sponsored by a local radio station and stealership last month. A local Harley club staged at a member's house about 3 blocks away from mine and the noise WAS pretty obnoxious all morning! I run a Jardene slash cut so it's not terribly loud at low speeds, but it was the first time it occurred to me that not ALL my neighbors appreciate me when I come home after an 11PM closing at work! I keep my rpms as low as possible in the neighborhood since!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #8 - 10/08/10 at 11:10:51

Let's see, you can get DOT stickers at "biker" shows and rallies -- can an EPA stamping kit be far behind?

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #9 - 10/08/10 at 16:43:35

I have a buddy who's very talented at building s/s exhaust systems. He had a customer get a fix it ticket. What they ended up doing was opening the stock cans he had replaced and gutting them a bit and shortening them then welding it all up again. It had all the DOT stuff stamped on them so the CA DMV inspector signed it off. He told me about that in some passing conversation. So if it's being done now? I think the difference in the change of the law besides the fine is the LEOs will have db meters.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 10/09/10 at 17:22:02

How long has Arnie been governor over on that side? Geesh, first he doesn't allow handgun ammo to be shipped to Ca. from companies in other states (guns too?) and now this. Hey, isn't he the movie star that rides bikes with loud pipes, and shoots handguns, shotguns and macheen guns? Huh Huh Huh Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/09/10 at 17:57:37

yes he is the govenator and he should be more favorable to 'our' needs.
but while he stands at the top... he makes no law, he can only veto them.
most of those laws were passed by our demo controlled congress and senate.  I think our only saving grace will be to hold on to old bikes which will be grandfathered in the noise law.

WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #12 - 10/09/10 at 18:39:46

Something ironic about the law is, just like 1070 here in Arizona it has been the law its just going to be enforced now.  Shocked Oh my, someone tell the feds!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #13 - 10/10/10 at 09:17:08

I have read the responses and here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.
California is a State that is broke. It like many other states is looking for any way it can to bring in revenue.
800,000 bikers is a start for them to do that. Let's target the bikers, they will do whatever they have to in order to ride their bikes.
They may word the law for now to say any new bike produced after 2013. That said, can they come back and rewrite it to include all makes and years?
Or in the future do they start laws against modifications of any kind?
My opinion is we all best open our eyes. This can happen in all states as well as California. Let's all educate ourselves before it is too late.  kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/10/10 at 09:29:42

Let's all educate ourselves before it is too late.

Contact you congress critter & ask for a pocket constitution.
Understand what the federal reserve is, what it does & how it affects our lives.
Stop voting for the establishment choices. Thats ahwts been done & it hasnt solved a problem yet.
Doersnt require education to stop doing what clearly doesnt work.
Doing the alternative is laffed at, tho, the media points & laffs or smears every Non Establishment option, so the sheeple stay away from that one, the one that goes against the crap thats screwing us.. so easily driven to the pen,, sheeple..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 16:33:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 California Motorcycle Law

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.