Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Leaving the forum (Read 670 times)
Lupo

Re: Leaving the forum
Reply #15 - 09/25/10 at 20:05:39

I belong to a BMW club and haven't had one for 2 years. Nobody cares. A brand brings us together, but motorcycling keeps us together. I for one would like to hear from your past experiences and your new adventures. There are some, well ..maybe just one in particular on this forum that talk a tall tale yet as I read between the lines I can tell the ink is still wet on his M/C endorsement. I'd rather draw from your experience. Besides, You Meet the Nicest People On a Honda ( yea, I got one ).

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 09/25/10 at 20:11:11

jef.savage wrote on 09/25/10 at 18:40:25:
A Rebel is a great bike.  The only caution I would ever warn someone about is that they might outgrow...
The Rebel is a great bike for a last bike, for those who have grown.  I keep seeing the Web about the SYM Symba, which of course is not allowed into California.  I also keep seeing the Web about Burgman's and those who no longer can throw a leg across a saddle.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 09/25/10 at 20:24:03

Ebike, My cousin worked on a Honda 50 in the 60's for a friend of his. It was the one that later became the 65. It LOOKED like a real motorcycle. No floorboards. He told me to ride it every chance I got till the guy came after it. I had that bike on gravel roads for a whole summer. My first motorized bike. My first face rash and bruised shoulder. Gas was what? .35/gal? My first time with a girl hanging onto my skinny waist. My first realization I would ride my own motorcycle (Kawasaki) when I could afford it. Just a rhetorical question. How many people got started on a Honda? Say what you want, but you have gone back to the roots of MODERN, troublefree riding that made the big 4 have to keep up. Enjoy and ride safe.      

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 09/25/10 at 20:30:35

In a few years I could see myself downsizing. The savage 40 mite be a lightweight easy to handle bike for a 650, but as I become of age, it is still a big bike, and (me at 180lbs,) can be a bit challenging at times. But like someone always says, the 650 is what makes it fun,......for a while yet anyway Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #19 - 09/25/10 at 20:35:19

I, too, began the journey on a Honda 50. I forget what year it was but I remember the gas tank being under the seat, and it was a 3 speed automatic. I was 16 and I loved that bike. (Until I crashed it.) So, no matter what you ride, as long as you ride. I hope I am still able to at 75.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 09/25/10 at 21:01:14

Drums, I just Googled the one I started on. Don't know the exact year, but it was just like the 1963 Honda S50. Real between the legs gas tank. I think the ignition key was just under the front of the gas tank. It would be interesting to know just how many passengers still have a scar on the inside of their right leg from the exhaust. Can't remember the speed, but it reminds me of the quote about one of the first Piper airplanes: "It will fly just fast enough to kill you".  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #21 - 09/25/10 at 21:44:39

Honda Rebel, excellant bike. My 07 250 Nighthawk (same mechanics) resides with my S-40 and GSZ650F. They seem to get along just fine togeather. Took the Nighthawk on a 2500 trip in August 08. You just travel a little differently. I also love the 75-80 mpg. It's more fun to ride a small bike fast than to ride a bigger bike slow. Have fun and enjoy---Luke

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #22 - 09/25/10 at 23:40:00

Old saying:
'Ride YOUR Ride.'

Stick around and dont sweat what other people think. Your the one rideing it. Long as you got the wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth the model/size dont matter to most.
Those it does matter to usualy are just trying to make themselves feel better about what their rideing.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #23 - 09/26/10 at 04:22:07

Ebikerman,

Like people say.. don't matter what you ride.  Only matters THAT you ride.
And another favorite:
You don't stop riding because you get old.. you get old because you stop riding!
So.. Ride ON!   Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #24 - 09/26/10 at 06:36:54

Boofer--ya on mine the gastank was actually under the seat. Like a girls pedal bike. I don't remember the exhaust being an issue. And my top speed was 48mph downhill, with the wind at my back. I remember that eventually, Honda turned the "50" into a minibike. Mine was older than that--looked like an actual motorcycle, except for the tank under the seat. A buddy of mine had a Honda 90 at the time and we all thought that bike was the shiznit.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #25 - 09/26/10 at 09:36:07

The old Honda Super Cub 50cc:

I had the Sport 50cc with a clutch and manual transmission:

Mine was in 1964.  In 1966 I was in the U.S.A.F. in tech school, Biloxi, MS.  Rented a Suzuki 90cc bike that looked like the Super Cub -- and rode it a 150 mile round trip to New Orleans.  In 1967, on leave in Detroit, I picked up a Suzuki TwinJet 100cc 2-stroke 2-cylinder.  My first ride on the freeway.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 09/26/10 at 10:18:37

I've got the 250 Rebel's great-grandmother (1963 CL72) on my patio. Being redone from the wheels up as a ridable bike, since my Savage has become completely unreliable (electrical demons). I'm only 38, but can still recall 650s being considered a HUGE engine for the average rider. Growing up in western Washington, the rule was if you didn't ride a Harley you rode Honda or Yamaha on the street. Kawasaki and Suzuki were (and really still are) too unreliable or touchy or top heavy for onroad bikes.

I've got a Harley ,a real one, 6 volt kick only Panhead. It's sitting on the patio rotting away with my Rickman. My Savage needs a $70 relay and maybe a regulator-rectifier. What am I building ? A 250 Honda parallel twin that is 9 years older than I am.

My father in law will be 85 (I think, born in 1925) in November. He rides a CL100 occasionally, got rid of his GS750T and kept the small bike. No shame in dropping displacement.
Ride safe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #27 - 09/26/10 at 11:52:59

Grew up in Arizona at a time when there was a "14 scooter law",  At 14, you could get a motorcycle license for up to 125cc or 5 bhp.  You had to pass both the written and riding test, and a helmet was required.  Got my license in 1960 and started on a 125 Allstate (made by Vespa) scooter.  For the next two years, I dreamed of the time when I would be old enough for a regular license, and could get a Honda 305 Hawk.  

Like everything else in our society, riding has become overwhelmed by the god of excess.  Too much (but never enough) of everything from horsepower to speed, to chrome.  The same is true of riding unfortunately.  Oh well, this is just an old curmudgeon ranting.

I looked at a rebel before getting the Savage, but at 250 #, I decided that it might not have enough power for safety.  Besides, you probably shouldn't ride something that weighs less than you do.

Nice bike.  enjoy.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #28 - 09/26/10 at 12:28:29

Now that's the best send off I have ever had. Far better than the one when I retired as a high school art teacher. Wow. I am deeply touched. I reccomended the new owner of my S40 to visit the club. He has the web address. If he should join in, his name is Ron Rohletter. He lives in Loganville Georgia. Thanks again for such a great fairwell gift. I will not forget it......Dan (ebikerman)

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #29 - 09/26/10 at 13:56:38

There's a Rebel group on yahoo. Looks pretty good. Keep us posted. Ride safe, far, and often---Luke

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 08:02:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaving the forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.