Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
bad news, getting better all the time. (Read 877 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
bad news, getting better all the time.
09/01/10 at 00:43:06

Doctors appointment this morning, Doc asked me how many drinks a day are you drinking I fudged a little and said oh 2 beers in the evening,my sister was there because I am a little hard of hearing and my doc is from god knows where I have a hard time understanding him. Any way my Sister piped up and said "my brother had 5 empty vodka bottles in the trash" ( i was pissed ) she must have missed the scotch and rum bottle , So now my Doctor knows I am an alcaholic,and now you do.Not something I'm proud of, it is I have been told a desease, I guess so ,I did quit for 10 years when I used to commute 90 miles each way to work and back,from Lake Arrowhead to Long Beach Beach CA.
I guess I got depressed about my hand and losing my ability to ride my bike,so I got sh1t faced every night. I came home and dumped my beer booze and wine,Oh and a six pack of Mikes hard lime.
So here I am as sober as a judge ,and I'm not liking it one bit.
Why is it that everything that taste good feels good .is deadly,
Or as Andy Capp used to say after he came home drunk from beer and his wife dinged him with a skillet,
"How can something I love so much , treat me so bad"
Am I the only Alky here ?

« Last Edit: 09/09/10 at 12:46:10 by mick »  

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: bad news
Reply #1 - 09/01/10 at 03:54:31

A alcoholic athiest. Go to church and ask to be saved!  Ha!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 09/01/10 at 05:38:21

No you're not Mick. Just get up everyday and make the decision not to drink and then stick to it. Don't expect people to understand, they won't. The programs work for some people. Remember it doesn't go away, there isn't a cure, you just become an alcoholic who doesn't drink. Best wishes.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #3 - 09/01/10 at 05:43:03

You can't solve a problem, or deal with an ongoing condition, unless you know it's there.  We're all pulling for you, Mick -- even the folks who disagree with you.  Heck, how can you have a good debate without the other side?

Now that you're sober again, it's time to get back on two wheels.  Have you looked at any of the maxi-scooters?  The 250 cc and up ones are pretty well engineered -- went riding with a guy on a Suzuki Burgman who just rode the heck out of the thing!  You might need to find something that has the brakes linked, or maybe rig up a foot pedal for the rear brake.

All the best in the tough battle ahead!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 09/01/10 at 06:17:14

Mick, hang in there and be strong.
I have a Suzuki Burgman 650 and love it. I have bad knees/hips and arthritis in both wrists so can't always ride the S40. I love pulling up to a stop sign/light next to a Harley or other big cruiser with my 'lil ol scooter' and leaving them behind with a dumb look on their faces  Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/01/10 at 06:31:38

Mick -

We're all pulling for you, my Friend.

I honestly don't know what an alcoholic is.  At times I know I drink too much, especially when I'm on the road, alone in a hotel or restaurant with nothing to do, and the schedule for the next morning isn't starting early.

Frankly, I enjoy alcohol, but I don't let myself ever drink so much that the next morning is fuzzy, unless it's a New Year's Eve, or some other thing that like, then maybe twice a year at most.  Back in my twenties it was a different story - I was usually leading the charge most nights at the O Club.

And I agree with Dr. Harveys' comment about the maxi scooters - remember, when I started riding again in 2008, I nearly bought one.  I may again consider it, as they are a lot easier for us old farts to mount, sit on, and otherwise handle than is a conventional motorcycle.

The 650 Burgmans and Honda Silverwings are really goin' machines - they easily top out at 100+ mph.  The biggest problem with them is the cost - more than a motorcycle.

If you do consider one, there are excellent forums for both scooters - I belonged to each of them for about a year before buying my S40.

Research carefully - I seem to recall that a couple of model years of the big (650) Burgman had some issues with belt squeal that were driving the owners nuts.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 09/01/10 at 06:43:27

Mick, my heart does go out to you.  Alcohol can be a vile and powerful thing.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 09/01/10 at 08:56:53

As the brother of a 45 year old man who has literally thrown his life away to booze and made everyone close to him miserable doing so, I have some understanding of your addiction mick ... be thankful though that you have not let alcohol destroy your life, it means that you have a good motivation to get and stay sober ... unlike my brother who will be lucky to get another 12 months above the sod ...

Good luck my friend, stay strong ... I'm pullin' for you!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #8 - 09/01/10 at 09:10:41

Now would be a good time to start that sidecar restoration project. You can put some or all of your booze money into the bike/parts, and working on it would give you an extra incentive to drink less or none, so you can stay focused..  the goal being an old sidecar rig that you can ride just as easily as you drive your car.  Sure, "not drinking" can be a goal in itself, but I'd try for a goal that doesn't suck as bad.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/01/10 at 09:17:52

When I was about 15 I saw a sailboat in a yard in Odessa. Asked around about it & found that a man & woman decided they would quit smoking. They spent all their ciggy $$$ on materials & built that boat. It was pretty nice lookin to me. Mita sunk if launched, IDK, but they quit smokin..
Stopping one thing w/o starting something to take its place just doesnt work out often. I understand how you got where you are, I do, but I know you love life & I hope you curb your intake & get busy on a new project so you can be here many more years.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 09/01/10 at 10:06:40

Mick, I wish you much success in being able to sustain from alcohol.
My biological father's life ended at age 59. It was alcohol induced and no matter how many Dr's advised him it was killing him, he could not stay away from it.
It cost him his family, home, business and life.
You still have  alot of years left to enjoy and I hope you get the use of your hand back as well as a new bike...
I agree with the advise from above, put the $$$ into something else that you were putting into the alcohol.
Hugs and best of luck to you.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #11 - 09/01/10 at 10:31:29

Mick - you have direct control & influence over your actions - choose wisely - choose to find motivation that will keep your mind and body active - setting around leads to self pity partys where alcohol is the guest of honor......seen it several times, my uncle, my dad, my wife's ex husband - life is full of choices choose wisely. I know all of your contacts on here and in other areas of your life will be pulling for you to beat the addiction.....lots of good advice in the threads from your friends here. good luck.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/01/10 at 10:52:45

Best wishes in your struggle Mick, Don't let alcohol control your life, you control your life, you were "self medicating" but you weren't finding a cure for the disease just fighting off the symptoms with alcohol. Your loss has been tremendous and you need to find a healthy way to deal with it. I do wish you the best with this problem, you have proven you can do it, you quit smoking so, I know you can do this too.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 09/01/10 at 11:35:12

stinger wrote on 09/01/10 at 03:54:31:

An alchoholic atheist was the founder of Alchoholics Anonymous. Do you think that is a coincedence?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 09/01/10 at 13:42:48

stinger wrote on 09/01/10 at 03:54:31:

And who would I ask Stinger ? And what do I need saving from.
I quit drinking yesterday,I don't need anyone but me to stay quit.
I quit smoking a year ago,never smoked another cigarette.
You might be a weekling Stinger that needs help from a mystic, I'm ok though.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 04:16:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › bad news, getting better all the time.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.