Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
More excitment than I was wanting. (Read 412 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
More excitment than I was wanting.
06/12/10 at 07:50:13

Digging around in a part of the shop I hadnt messed w/ in a while, & we had a LOAD of hard rain a couple days ago, so, maybe thats when the copperhead slipped in. Thats okay, I kinda expect to find a sname in the shop once in a while, what took me by surprise was the blasted thing was in the top of the roll about, like 3 feet off the floor. I had no idea a copperhead could climb. I also had never thot about hacking ones head off with the edge of a small piece of plywood, but sure Nuff, ya stand it on his neck & drag it sideways & Whooops,, off pops the head after just a few inches. He was small, 21" long, skinny as a finger & the color wasnt yet the copper shade, it was kinda grayish, but I know that pattern. I guess as they mature they get the copper color.
Lessons learned: Snakes dont have to just be on the floor. Snakes seek shelter from real hard rain. They dont make much noise as they travel, either. So, youse folks pay attention if you live where these critters live. We have water mocassins, rattlers & copperheads round here, tho Ive yet to see a rattler, my SIL says he heard one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: More excitment than I was wanting.
Reply #1 - 06/12/10 at 08:02:35

I hate snakes. We have rattlers east of here. Never met one and hope I never do. Good to here your encounter turned out ok. I would assume they are very poisonous even at that young and tender age.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/12/10 at 08:55:16

Woof!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 06/12/10 at 09:23:55

I HATE SNAKES!!!! Can't stand the slithery creatures. I can't even watch them on tv as they give me the creeps.

At work few years back, went into the bathroom. Almost sh*t my pants as their was a toy rubber snake on the floor. I had not expected to see it and  at first thought it was real...

I was born and rasied in Fla and so have seen many large water mocassions and other various kinds of snakes. My  dad used to bring home the rattlers off the tails of rattle snakes he killed..

My philosophy now is, only good snake is a dead snake. Sorry if you snake lovers get offended by that.

Glad your safe and the encounter went your way...

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/12/10 at 09:41:10

Some years ago in South Australia I was in a pub drinking with a medically retired Australian army vet.  The subject of snakes came up and I said that back in  the U.S. we could generally tell a poisonous snake from a non-poisonous one by the shape of his head with the coral snake being the only exception.  I asked if one could tell a poisonous snake from a harmless snake that way in Australia.
He looked at me strangely and said," Listen mate, there are more than 80 different specie of snakes in this land, three of them are non poisonous. " "Killem all!"

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/12/10 at 10:24:00

everything that moves seems to be deadly poisonous in Australia... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/12/10 at 10:24:38

I worked on a survey crew in central FL and we saw rattlesnakes and cottonmouths almost daily. The diamondbacks, even the big ones, were pretty shy. They would flee at every opportunity, and no one ever got bit. The cottonmouths were a different story. They were not inclined to strike at "you", but would follow you as you cut line through the brush. They seemed to be using the crew to scare up game for them.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 06/12/10 at 11:56:48

So Justin, the real question is; how did it taste?

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/12/10 at 12:44:35

IF I was inclined to eat one, & Im NOT, thank YEW vera much, it was so skinny that it wouldnt have made more than a few bites.

I stepped on a mocassin crossing a bayou in Houston when I was just a 10 or 11 Y/O kid. It came at me, I slipped down, it was coming at my chest & I knew Id die if it bit me there, so I slapped it... No more swimming, not even in a pool, till I was 14. I was terrified in water if I couldnt see my feet. Finally, someone reached out & hauled my skinny butt outta the water. We went fishing for mocassins for a few weeks after that. Short line w/ bacon. Catch one, drag it down the bank & someone would machette the head off, dig a hole, cut the line & bury head & hook. Than start over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 06/12/10 at 13:53:09

Are people mean to snakes because they are poisonous? Or are snakes poisonous because people are mean to them?...all God's creatures great and small.

...well and then again I have lived in this part of Michigan for 38 years and have never ever seen a snake of any kind here. Shocked

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 06/12/10 at 15:45:47

Starlifter wrote on 06/12/10 at 13:53:09:
Are people mean to snakes because they are poisonous? Or are snakes poisonous because people are mean to them?...all God's creatures great and small.

...well and then again I have lived in this part of Michigan for 38 years and have never ever seen a snake of any kind here. Shocked

What! no lawyers in Michigan ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/12/10 at 15:52:22

You know you can take a small snake and put it in a jar,Put some air holes in the top,Put it in the refrigerator it will hibernate and not move any time you take it out and it warms up it will move again I did that when I was a kid,It might of been in the freezer I don't remember for sure.You can leave it in there for weeks it does the same thing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/12/10 at 16:19:35

bill67 wrote on 06/12/10 at 15:52:22:
You know you can take a small snake and put it in a jar,Put some air holes in the top,Put it in the refrigerator it will hibernate and not move any time you take it out and it warms up it will move again I did that when I was a kid,It might of been in the freezer I don't remember for sure.You can leave it in there for weeks it does the same thing.

And all that time the snake is thinking, "I want to bite the hands that freeze me."

Phelonius
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #13 - 06/12/10 at 16:21:15

Hey Kim, those eastern diamondbacks in Fla are the biggest rattlers there are, most poisonous too. We saw one laying across the road in north Fla I swear had to be 6 foot long! I've seen a few timber rattlers around here but they are generally only 2-3 foot. Snakes normally don't bother me, but when you hear one rattle it puts the fear in you quick, fast, like in a hurry!!

Justin, copperheads aren't necessarily always the same color. They can vary quite a bit. 21" is pretty good size for one too, as they are not a big snake. I'd say he was plenty big enough to ruin your day if you had accidentally put your hand down on him!! They are feisty little devils!

I had a similar surprise yesterday evening. I went out to the shop and noticed a bunch of boxes & things knocked off into the floor. They came from high up on the shelves, like 9' and higher. I originally thought someone had broken in, but nothing was missing. I checked around and found some scat on the floor, right beside the savage. I don't know if it was a skunk or a coon. I leave my overhead doors open about 6" from the floor so it doesn't get so hot out there during the day. I can lock them like that so it's secure, but it leaves enough room for critters to come and go.

A couple years ago I was out there messing around. I had the stereo cranked up & all the lights on, just working away on something. You can tell when a skunk is close from the smell, but it's pretty common out here so I don't pay it much mind usually. Well I smelled the smell that night & just happened to look up and here comes a baby skunk waddling up in the shop like he owned the place. I just froze, sure as hell didn't wanna startle him.. He came right up to me, looked around, then turned around and waddled out. Cute little dude but stunk like hell!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 06/12/10 at 16:48:41

A snow snake is one of the most dangerous snake there is there in northern Wisconsin.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:32:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › More excitment than I was wanting.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.