Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My other, other project (Read 123 times)
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

My other, other project
06/19/10 at 06:25:42

Back at the end of January, I picked this up off craigslist...

It's a 1946 Philco, just the shell- no chassis or turntable or speaker. A church had been using it as a lectern for the last 25 years.

It looks okay in the above picture, but upon closer inspection:

Lots of grime. Lots of wax build up, dirt, etc. The veneer was peeling in a lot of places, heavy gouges, corroded hardware.

So, I did a little work on it:

Used red oak, maple, and mahogany veneers; cherry English chestnut, and ebony stains; basic flat black paint, three coats of polyurethane...

The glass was in great shape- I put some green felt behind it, on the tin that was originally flocked brown. The knobs are just dowel caps painted gold.

The purists are mad at me because it wasn't taken back to original. I'm happy with that.  Wink

I still have the interior to finish- it's going to have a PC built into the top part where the radio chassis went. Down below, where the speaker and turntable were, I'll be mounting shelves for the home theater receiver, cable box, PS3, and HD DVD player. Looks a he11uva lot better than a pressboard Wally World entertainment center.  Cool

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: My other, other project
Reply #1 - 06/19/10 at 06:47:20

Hey HH nice one, very nice one.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/10 at 07:21:25

Thankee sai  Smiley

I'm looking for another one, to do up for my dad. I've got 'til either October for his birthday, or Christmas...

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #3 - 06/19/10 at 07:35:56

What a great idea and beautifully executed.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 06/19/10 at 08:05:18

nice work Harkshaw, very nice.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/19/10 at 12:34:19

Thats a great Re-Run project. So many people would have tossed it out. I wouldnt have been able to do that. Thats cool. I was hoping you were gonna find an old shortwave to put in, but what youve done is WAY cool. I've a project getting close enough to done to start using it. Pretty sure it will need some fine tuning once we get started working w/ it. Its ALL Re-Run stuff. An old Radio Flyer wagon w/ legs off a defunct radial arm saw, wheels taken from some garden eqpt, brace for front leg is a bar from a crib I didnt like, handle from some kinda roll about cart, who knows,, been around a while, some baling wire.( baling wire is required on such projects. Duct tape would have been required if it wasnt an outside kinda thing)
So, what is it? You may be asking, Its to put by the grill when cooking outside.
Its not near as pretty as that old Re-Run Radio job. Man, I LIKE that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/19/10 at 16:06:14

Hey Hawkshaw, will it pick up anything besides "Amos and Andy"?
Nice work man!

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 06/19/10 at 20:07:59

Thats beautiful work, you have a real talent!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 06/19/10 at 21:41:18

Very nice.. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/20/10 at 01:45:09

You never said how many hours you put into that. Ive already got an embarrassing number in that rollabout. But, Im gonna dig having it & Itll last a loong time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/20/10 at 20:24:22

Oh, gosh... I have absolutely no idea how much time I've put into it- off and on for four months. I worked on it for most of the day today as well, finishing out the inside and building a chassis for the PC components. All I've got left to do it mount the optical drives and the front panel controls (they'll hide out inside the cabinet, up at the top when you open the door.)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/20/10 at 21:17:56

Yea, looks like some pretty tedious, pretty much surgical, work. Im sure it took a long time. Ive probably got somewhere near 5 or 6 hours in just replacing the blade on the front sight on the Ruger 22 pistol & theres still another 3 or 4 there. &, the heck of it is, I dunno if its gonna be any good then or not. Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances. Owell, if it sticks, a new one is only about 20 bucks, but I started filing on it because I couldnt hit w/ that big block up there.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 06/20/10 at 22:32:40

That turned out KILLER!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 06/20/10 at 23:28:21

Looks great and what a brilliant idea to turn it into a home theatre equipment stand. That's going to be a real conversation piece.
Had you taken it to the Antiques Road Show, who knows. maybe you could have retired, or maybe not.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 06/21/10 at 06:50:25

Very nice!  How tall is it?

I have one similar, can't remember the brand right now, will have to look tonight.  It was my grandfather's, from early 50's, maybe late 40's.  I'll try to remember to take some pics this evening when I get home.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:51:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › My other, other project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.