badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: exhaust port
Reply #135 - 01/29/16 at 23:03:33

If you think you can spend 5 minutes with a dremel tool and throw in a new piston and get a ton of extra HP, and someone will build you a custom pulley for $30, then you will run 85mph all day it' time to PUT THE X BOX DOWN AND COME BACK TO REALITY!  
Get the bike FIRST, and RIDE IT in the REAL world. Do you live somewhere there is no speed limit or other traffic? If you think you can and should ride real fast all the time, get a bike that's made to do so. You WILL be disappointed with a Savage quickly then start posting what a hunk of junk it is.
I'm not picking on you, just trying to give you some frank advise.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #136 - 01/30/16 at 07:25:10

Higher octane won't give you any extra horsepower (unless your engine required it to start with). Stick with 85/87 octane with an 8:1 engine.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #137 - 01/30/16 at 08:35:52

So far nobody has hopped one up enough to make the clutch slip.
Some have gone with stronger springs, I shimmed mine.
The clutch throw out is sintered metal and has been known to break with the stock springs and set-up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #138 - 01/30/16 at 09:29:42

I haven't heard one positive thing about beefing up the clutch. Anyone that has modified it has destroyed it. Look on Youtube. There's a famous (infamous?) video of a guy that turned his Savage clutch into shrapnel by trying to improve it.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #139 - 01/31/16 at 12:11:49

You mean this video....  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzGblbeDuU

That dude is not being very happy with Suzuki.  Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #140 - 01/31/16 at 13:33:54

Why do we waste so much time on this forum on things that we know don't work?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #141 - 01/31/16 at 14:04:52

Yep, that's the one.  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #142 - 01/31/16 at 14:17:20

Kris01 wrote on 01/30/16 at 09:29:42:
I haven't heard one positive thing about beefing up the clutch. Anyone that has modified it has destroyed it. Look on Youtube. There's a famous (infamous?) video of a guy that turned his Savage clutch into shrapnel by trying to improve it.

If you know what he did to destroy his clutch, I think we would benefit in knowing what not to do.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #143 - 01/31/16 at 19:01:02

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/31/16 at 12:11:49:
You mean this video....  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzGblbeDuU

That dude is not being very happy with Suzuki.  Roll Eyes

I heard him say it had a bad clutch that slipped, so he had to mod it out, so it wouldn't slip.

He either had the wrong oil , couldn't adjust it, wrong rod, or didn't know how to ride. The clutch throw out Will break. The clutch itself is bulletproof, providing you don't put teflon in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #144 - 01/31/16 at 20:13:29

I don't know what he did but anyone that I've talked to that has tried stiffer springs or some other "upgrade" has detonated their clutch. What is the weak component?

BTW, a correction from an earlier post. It's actually 8.5:1, not 8:1 compression. Shouldn't matter by much though.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #145 - 01/31/16 at 22:12:52

More,... ain't always better... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #146 - 02/08/16 at 09:19:00

Makes me wonder if the stock clutch can handle a larger (25t) front roller, for prolonged highway rides?
I ride it gently, but on the interstates I think I pretty much need to ride it with the throttle wide open.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #147 - 02/08/16 at 09:39:20

MeeLee wrote on 02/08/16 at 09:19:00:
Makes me wonder if the stock clutch can handle a larger (25t) front roller, for prolonged highway rides?
I ride it gently, but on the interstates I think I pretty much need to ride it with the throttle wide open.

The clutch really doesn't care too much about final gearing.....it either can handle the engine power and will hold under full power.....or it can't and will slip.  The engine makes the same amount of power in any/every gear.....however your are more apt to notice slippage in the higher gears.  

I have about 4,000 miles on my double Kawasaki pulley set up, and about 6,000 miles since the engine modifications.  My clutch has stock plates and stock springs.  I have always used Rotella T....so I have never had a problem with any friction modifiers in my engine oil...my clutch does not slip, even in high gear under full power.  MMRanch and several others may have more miles on their 25T front pulley than I have.

I have never had any clutch problems on my Savage. I never apply full throttle until the engine is warned up, and when accelerating hard I never apply throttle until the clutch lever is fully released.

If you have clutch problems on the Savage - the clutch is out of adjustment, the plates are worn and you need to install a shorter clutch rod - or your plates are contaminated with Friction Modifiers, or somebody has abused your clutch and glazed the friction material (or any combination of the above).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:39:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.