Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
exhaust port (Read 2618 times)
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Re: exhaust port
Reply #105 - 06/10/10 at 19:20:04

ahw, i was enjoying watching the thingy fight we had going.  Why did we get back on topic? Cheesy

edit:  i spelled c.o.c.k and it put "thingy"  awesome!  that seriously made me lol

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #106 - 06/10/10 at 19:22:33

Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #107 - 06/10/10 at 19:37:51

ralfyguy, I bought it on ebay last year. It was from a place that sells closeout/discontinued stuff. I think I paid something like 40 bucks + shipping for 2 of them...BRAND NEW and very shiny. They were called DynoPowers or something like that.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #108 - 06/10/10 at 19:49:02

james may wrote on 06/10/10 at 17:45:37:
Quote:
Makes you wonder, why Suzuki even designed the exhaust port that way. The must be a reason for that restriction.

most automotive companies don't port thier heads.. the odd shapes inside and around cast cylinder heads are mostly due to the casting process and how they have to make the molds.  Also some of those odd shapes are there for extra structural support to prevent cracking.  

In order to get smooth intake and exhaust ports it would need machining which is an extra expencive step in production.. so cost is the main reason why ports are not polished and smooth..

You do lose a little low end power when you increase exhaust flow.. if you equally increase intake flow you should keep your low end power though.. the reason is compression.. at low RPMs there isn't enough momentum in the air charge to pull it in especially with a longer intake duration(as seen in performance cams)..  when you have a restricted exhaust some of the gas is not eliminated on the exhaust stroke and stays in the cylinder.. but that's ok because you can't get the air into the cylinder fast enough anyways.. but the extra gas contributes to higher compression which gives you more low end power.

at higher RPMs the air actually forces itself in by momentum even after the piston is done sucking it in.. This allows you to get more air/fuel and more power.  

the power you get in your engine is a direct result of the pressure caused by fuel combustion.  In a case where the air/fuel is less than optimal as in low rpms having extra gas in there increases the pressure also increasing power..

Porting and polishing are usually just to get that last bit of power you can't get any other way.. It's also free if you do it yourself, but very labor intensive(expensive if you have someone else do it).. a new exhaust or a free flowing air filter will give more power, but if you've already done all of the above you might get a few extra pony's from it..

almost everything to improve performance is done to increase air(oxygen) in the combustion chamber.. then as a secondary thought of course you can easily increase fuel to match the air..

That would be nice if that worked but it doesn't,You lose low end torque,If it worked you would only need one size engine you just put on big carb big ports,big exhaust and you have the power you wanted,Being you lose low end power you have to go to a bigger engine to get more low and high end power.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #109 - 06/10/10 at 20:15:02

that's the spirit!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #110 - 06/10/10 at 20:29:59

james may wrote on 06/10/10 at 17:45:37:
Quote:
Makes you wonder, why Suzuki even designed the exhaust port that way. The must be a reason for that restriction.

most automotive companies don't port thier heads.. the odd shapes inside and around cast cylinder heads are mostly due to the casting process and how they have to make the molds.  Also some of those odd shapes are there for extra structural support to prevent cracking.  

In order to get smooth intake and exhaust ports it would need machining which is an extra expencive step in production.. so cost is the main reason why ports are not polished and smooth..

You do lose a little low end power when you increase exhaust flow.. if you equally increase intake flow you should keep your low end power though.. the reason is compression.. at low RPMs there isn't enough momentum in the air charge to pull it in especially with a longer intake duration(as seen in performance cams)..  when you have a restricted exhaust some of the gas is not eliminated on the exhaust stroke and stays in the cylinder.. but that's ok because you can't get the air into the cylinder fast enough anyways.. but the extra gas contributes to higher compression which gives you more low end power.

at higher RPMs the air actually forces itself in by momentum even after the piston is done sucking it in.. This allows you to get more air/fuel and more power.  

the power you get in your engine is a direct result of the pressure caused by fuel combustion.  In a case where the air/fuel is less than optimal as in low rpms having extra gas in there increases the pressure also increasing power..

Porting and polishing are usually just to get that last bit of power you can't get any other way.. It's also free if you do it yourself, but very labor intensive(expensive if you have someone else do it).. a new exhaust or a free flowing air filter will give more power, but if you've already done all of the above you might get a few extra pony's from it..

almost everything to improve performance is done to increase air(oxygen) in the combustion chamber.. then as a secondary thought of course you can easily increase fuel to match the air..

Very good info!
I'd like to add something specific to the savage head...
My personal opinion is the exhaust port is purposely restricted to match the lack of fuel allowed into the engine by the small jets. This of course is Suzuki's solution to the strict emissions standards. They could have cast these heads with better ports, but then they would need to feed the engine more fuel to match, throwing off the emissions.
All we're doing by porting the exhaust is better matching it to the intake. Most folks have already upgraded the fuel supply. You're correct that this is kinda the last resort for performance, or as I like to think, it's the missing link!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #111 - 06/10/10 at 20:30:55

omahasavage wrote on 06/10/10 at 20:15:02:
that's the spirit!

Hey man, quit thingy ing around!

« Last Edit: 06/11/10 at 08:04:17 by earlytimz »  
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #112 - 06/10/10 at 20:56:21

okay, gotta test this out

thingy

thingy

thingy

crappity smackstick

manshaft

dipstick

ladykiller

dong

wang

peepee

dinky

tubesteak

slobersickle

peter

porker

one eyed monster

Willie

sorry, i've had a bit to drink tonight.  I make my own beer and well I had to try out a few for quality control purposes, you know.   Wink

edit:  so it's only d.i.c.k, c.o.c.k and p.e.n.i.s that gets edited.  of course f.u.c.k.s.t.i.c.k got changed to "crappity smackstick"  that's very interesting.  which makes me wonder if crappity smack gets changed to "crappity smack"  or what.  yup, f.u.c.k gets changed to "crappity smack"   Smiley

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #113 - 06/10/10 at 21:06:39

LMFAO!! Slobersickle??? You're killin me!!

BTW, I'm a home-brewer too. Haven't made a batch in over a year, but I really enjoy it. I think you may have motivated me to start one this weekend...

IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #114 - 06/10/10 at 21:48:17

so the thingy comments made you want to make beer?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #115 - 06/11/10 at 03:33:57

Yep, threads tend to meander around here .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #116 - 06/11/10 at 05:08:06

Angry

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #117 - 06/11/10 at 05:40:56

C'mon dasch, my Bosnian brother... Cheer up, It's FRIDAY!!!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #118 - 06/11/10 at 08:00:43

ok, just for you man:  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #119 - 06/11/10 at 10:20:11

omahasavage wrote on 06/10/10 at 19:20:04:
ahw, i was enjoying watching the thingy fight we had going.  Why did we get back on topic? Cheesy

edit:  i spelled c.o.c.k and it put "thingy"  awesome!  that seriously made me lol

Years back,...  the auto site-censor would not allow the word "petcock"...
Baffled newbies were always asking,... "What's a pethingy, and where can I find it?"....
"How do I check my pethingy?",...

PS,..
Omaha,.. You're short, and you ride sidesaddle...
Just so you don't feel left out...
Welcome to the club...Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:34:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!