Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't stop splitting lanes! (Read 418 times)
Lupo

Re: Can't stop splitting lanes!
Reply #15 - 09/29/10 at 22:00:25

Moving to Arizona from California the 2 things I missed most were all the awesome canyon roads (I lived at the base of Angeles Crest Hwy) and lane sharing / splitting. I've now learned it is only legal in California. All the other states have laws prohibiting it though I know Washington has been trying to change the law. California law states you can only occupy one lane at a time and because a motorcycle is a single track vehicle it can only be in one lane. Other states say you can't be next to another vehicle in the same lane or stuff like that which prohibits lane sharing. If traffic really irks me, sometimes I'll do it anyway. What we need to do  ( I have) is email and bug the AMA and ABATE to push those issues instead of fighting helmet laws. Lane sharing is safer at intersections since you eliminate the potential of being rear ended and motorcyclists can flow through congestion which eases the overall traffic buildup.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/29/10 at 23:18:09

I had to lane split today when 5mph Granny turned into the center lane, instead of taking the first...
I nearly had to duck under the SUV's side mirror next to me,... just not used to being that close...

It's illegal here, but so is suicide... and getting hit by granny is suicide...

... but it got really hairy, on the way back,... trying to get home before the quart of margarita sherbet in my backpack melted ...

Didn't leak a drop... Wink...
.. speaking of suicide,... this guy won't live to see his next oil change...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #17 - 09/30/10 at 00:59:37

Copy Nick and Stimpy on their remarks.

Lane splitting is quite normal in Europe, consider that up to a few years ago all MCs were aircooled anyway,
there's NO WAY an air cooled bike will sit still in stationary traffic, moving means survival at least in terms of engine mechanicals etc.

As for "Look out ahead" I learned one fundamental rule:

DRIVE BY LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD OF THE CAR IN FRONT

In other words, if you can see what he sees, you will understand what's on his mind.

Also

NEVER EVER SPLIT BETWEEN TWO TRUCKS (especially the big rigs !!!)

STAY AWAY FROM Q-TIPS

STAY AWAY FROM WEEKEND TEENAGE DRIVERS

STAY AWAY FROM MINIVANS WITH SOCCER/HOCKEY/SPORTS TEAMS (Mom will be outta her mind)

And remember... your kneecaps are your bumpers, your collarbone is your roll bar, and if you're not convinced, YOUR A$$ IS GRASS !!!

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/30/10 at 04:24:45

Lane splitting is one thing. Running thru there at stupid speeds is another.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #19 - 09/30/10 at 05:01:28

I wonder when that was taken and if that guy is still alive..

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #20 - 09/30/10 at 08:14:43

Myself I have never split lanes. Living in a state where it is illegal perhaps is one of the reasons why.
I will say he seemed to have good reflexes yet not as many brain cells. I watched the entire video and at times found myself saying, omg..
It is one thing to split them as he was, another to do wheelies as well. Or at least it looked to me like he popped a couple.
I do understand the reasoning for wanting to keep the bike moving as visiting here in Ca in the triple digits, it would not take long for the engine to over heat in these temps.
I am not opposed to splitting lanes, if I lived here I would get used to it as would practice at my own rate and not be pressured by someone else's..
I have seen a few do the lane splitting here and it makes me watch my mirrors in the cage even more when stopped at the lights as well as when plain driving.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/30/10 at 10:59:05

I don't even like it when another biker is beside me in my lane

same for two lanes with a car, don't like being beside other vehicles

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #22 - 09/30/10 at 11:58:20

Maybe he'll have his camera rig on when his a$$ gets smeared all over the asphalt.  Then we will see why NOT to follow his example.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #23 - 09/30/10 at 15:34:10

Never done the lane splitting, since as Kim says, it's illegal here and in OR.  Not that it stops some people.  More power to 'em, if they do it safely, but especially with my new wider bike, I'm not going to try it.  I just don't trust the bonehead drivers around her enough for them not to do something stupid when I'm squeezing through. Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #24 - 09/30/10 at 19:59:48

Wouldn't even think of doing it...anyway it's illegal here too as it should be.

Too many nuts out there. Happens when I ride my bicycle also. Some redneck in a pickup who apparently cannot stand to see any display of physical fitness blasted his horn and threw a beer can at me not too long ago.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 09/30/10 at 20:12:14

good thing he was a friend.

WWW   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #26 - 09/30/10 at 20:20:02

Will only consider it in an emergency! Too many drivers equate it with the fool that drives to the very end of a closing lane in a construction zone and then slows everyone up trying to "butt back in line". Tried explaining how its not the same at a lunchroom argument but people had their minds already made up.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - 10/01/10 at 00:56:06

Southpaw wrote on 09/30/10 at 20:20:02:
Will only consider it in an emergency! Too many drivers equate it with the fool that drives to the very end of a closing lane in a construction zone and then slows everyone up trying to "butt back in line". Tried explaining how its not the same at a lunchroom argument but people had their minds already made up.

Oooh, those people drive me closer to roadrage than anything!
I seriously fantasize about running them into the ditch. Roll Eyes
(well, not seriously, but it's a fun way to kill time in traffic!)

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/01/10 at 16:52:28

"can't stop splitting lanes!"

You will!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 10/02/10 at 14:41:18

Just because it is illegal in Wa you won't do it? Must be nice to not have to deal with Seattle metroplex (check a map, Seattle runs from milepost 206 to milepost 116) idiocy. I'll split it in town any chance I get. And if Granny Bluehair is following me, I'm taking to the sidewalk. They may not see a motorcycle as anything other than a targeting dot, but that fireplug will at least slow her down.

Speaking of lane ending crowding, try it in a heavy haul tractor trailer. I'll be in the correct spot a mile or two before the lane ends, watching the fools stack up in the one that tapers away to nothing. I get to where they have to merge in, and I straddle the shoulder line. I've had 2 cages and a cement mixer come around me and end up in the creek because, horror of horrors, god forbid you get stuck behind a semi...

I've had Bubbas, Achmeds, Pacos, Apus and Changs all open doors or throw something at me while I was splitting. I carry BIG knives or BIG spikes when I'm riding...taking off mirrors and popping their tires is good clean fun. They were just lucky I rarely carry anything more dangerous anymore...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:52:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can't stop splitting lanes!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.