Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't stop splitting lanes! (Read 418 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Can't stop splitting lanes!
04/29/10 at 22:45:31

When I first started riding (only few months ago).  I told myself I will not split lanes, as moving faster/slower than traffic is dangerous.  Few days ago, I started splitting lanes... just few times a day at first when traffic is just crazy stop and go.  Now today, I find myself splitting lanes every traffic slowdown.

How does everyone feel about splitting lanes?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can't stop splitting lanes!
Reply #1 - 04/29/10 at 23:41:43

I started out just like you, not going to split right away, gonna wait till I know what I'm doing.  Then some cager with blacked out windows (illegal) decides he needs my open lane, we're practically eyeball to eyeball, but he comes over anyway.  Right then and there I'm a full time lane splitter.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/29/10 at 23:51:40

I was a lane splitter,it is quite legal in Europe indeed it is encouraged so as to speed traffic along,and at every red light you always see a big gathering of M/Cs at the fore. On the other hand MCs are not a luxory item in England and Europe, alot of people prefer them to cages,with gas at $8 a gallon. With a good rain suit,who needs a bloody car ?
But in the US it is dangerious,because cages do not expect it, most of them are blind to MCs anyway.
I did do it on occasion,but living out in the boonies I found it unessisary.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 04/30/10 at 00:50:36

EVERYONE does it; with lane splitting I have 3 rules:

- "feel the future" aka: avoid getting yourself into bad situation
by quickly evaluating your environment and by following your gut

- don't do it unless the vehicle(s) in front of you are "boxed in" .

- and always always ALWAYS watch the vehicles(s) front tire, it will
alert you to a sudden change of direcion and give you time to react.

* extra rule: use your horn and/or rev up freely, most drivers will
rearview instinctivly just to see what's up and where that bike is
(cause they've always wanted one too you know).

L8r   Cool

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/30/10 at 01:40:13

Then theres the jasshonkey who sees ya comin & tosses something out the window or opens the door.. A buddy had to use duct tape to seal the cr5ack he got in an engine case because some hate filled redneck tossed bricks out the window as he was comong up to pass on his bike. Thers a few insane, hateful people out there, dont let your guard down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/30/10 at 10:30:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/10 at 01:40:13:
Then theres the jasshonkey who sees ya comin & tosses something out the window or opens the door.. A buddy had to use duct tape to seal the cr5ack he got in an engine case because some hate filled redneck tossed bricks out the window as he was comong up to pass on his bike. Thers a few insane, hateful people out there, dont let your guard down.

those idiots lack your freedom , but want it bad,lets hope they remember there brick throwing days when there wife eventually lets them have a bike.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/30/10 at 10:35:06

mick wrote on 04/30/10 at 10:30:05:
those idiots lack your freedom , but want it bad,

No kidding there, thats dead on And there angry that you have it, small minded, resentful little people.

lets hope they remember there brick throwing days when there wife eventually lets them have a bike.

Ill bet theyd be terrified of meeting someone like themselves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/30/10 at 11:25:21

That constitutes as assault with a weapon, whip out your cell phone and call the cops.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 04/30/10 at 11:52:51

i did a few times just being impatient, i always fear some jerk off will throw something out at the same time i go by, just becasue they feel like "they can" like emptying there cup of whatever out, trash, cigarette butts, etc. i wont unless i need to be somewhere in a certain time or i know the i will be stuck behind grandma traffic.

i have to say there is a lot of ignotant people in florida. id have to say most of it all boils down to self esteem issues and or molestation growing up and the need to control. FrEaKs

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/30/10 at 12:58:09

verslagen1 wrote on 04/30/10 at 11:25:21:

That constitutes as assault with a weapon, whip out your cell phone and call the cops.   Huh

It was 33 years ago, in La.. No cell phones yet. A pay phone cost a whole nickel in La. back then, & phone booths were common as Harleys now. Just everywhere..

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 04/30/10 at 21:08:49

Never done it, and never will since it's against the law here in Idaho!!!

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/30/10 at 22:48:48

If it's really backed up and Ive had plenty of time to scope the immediate surroundings for cops I'll do it. It doesnt really get like that too often though.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/30/10 at 23:18:39

I have done it.
And, almost every time I have felt a little surprised that I wasn't hurt in the process. I know that there are times you need to...just be double or even triple careful. Stupid not only hurts "A Lot!!!", but it is very expensive.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/29/10 at 20:33:55

WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/29/10 at 20:49:45

wow, saw that coming though, big open gap to the right, someone is going to take advantage of that, they had time to react but didn't, poor bike  Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:35:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can't stop splitting lanes!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.