Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print
here is my savage, kinda (Read 14275 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Re: here is my savage, kinda
Reply #330 - 08/07/11 at 01:09:41

Change that Honda to Suzuki and you're on to something Wink

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #331 - 08/07/11 at 10:26:16

Nah

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #332 - 08/07/11 at 13:53:37

Very cool ride, alot of talent and time involved there!!  To answer your question about paint, i would say gloss Black....anything that would cover the honda decal would work also!!  Great Job!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #333 - 08/07/11 at 14:33:56

Where is the brake caliper for the rear brake?

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #334 - 08/08/11 at 15:05:38

The rear caliper is in my shop. Im making a cable for it soon.

The honda in the tank is actually a piece of aluminum that is embedded into the tank, and I like it so its staying. The paint on the tank is staying. Im just trying to figure out how im going to lay out and paint the tail.

Im tired of painting everything black, and dont you know, white is the new black.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #335 - 09/28/11 at 10:11:05

started on the new swingarm. First I had to build a jig. I went ahead and made it long enough to do frames too.

IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #336 - 09/29/11 at 06:18:24

Is your bike still having "charging" issues?  I had the same problem with mine when the decompression solenoid cable broke.  The reason the decomp solenoid is needed is because it takes stress off the starter motor on start-up.  My take is that most batteries will charge to a slightly higher voltage when run off a wall charger than the bikes recharging system (12.8V compared to 12.5V).  After a couple rides they drop back down to that lower voltage, and if it's not enough juice for the starter motor to turn it over, the engine sounds like its got a dead battery.  The decomp opens the exhaust so that the engine isn't fighting any pressure on start up. This lets the engine develop some momentum before the spark has to take over to do the work.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #337 - 09/29/11 at 09:21:45

a good thing about this jig is I can roll it around however I need to be comfortable welding.

no chainline problems

upper tube taking shape. Absolute pregnant dog to fit due to the extreme acute angles. This tube has a 3.5 degree bend.  Opposite side will be even harder since I have to match this side.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #338 - 09/29/11 at 09:28:02

Bobber Fett wrote on 09/29/11 at 06:18:24:
Is your bike still having "charging" issues?  I had the same problem with mine when the decompression solenoid cable broke.  The reason the decomp solenoid is needed is because it takes stress off the starter motor on start-up.  My take is that most batteries will charge to a slightly higher voltage when run off a wall charger than the bikes recharging system (12.8V compared to 12.5V).  After a couple rides they drop back down to that lower voltage, and if it's not enough juice for the starter motor to turn it over, the engine sounds like its got a dead battery.  The decomp opens the exhaust so that the engine isn't fighting any pressure on start up. This lets the engine develop some momentum before the spark has to take over to do the work.

Well i found the problem to be a faulty ground wire from the RR.  Im very familiar with the decomp valve and solenoid, as I have deleted it. I have a manual lever on the bars for decomp, I just havent fitted a cable to it yet.

I replaced my bad battery and rode it an estimated 1400 miles with no cranking issues, even with a small scooter battery, WITHOUT any decompression actuation. Id say around 45 cranking's.

Just the other day it started loosing power again. I hope its another fault in the wiring. A friend built the wiring harness and used crimp connectors for some reason. Im going back and replacing each joint with solder and shrink wrap.

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #339 - 09/29/11 at 16:11:48

Your work has always been top notch man. Bike looks killer.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #340 - 09/29/11 at 16:23:18

That swingarm tubing stiff enough for the job?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #341 - 09/29/11 at 18:45:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/11 at 16:23:18:
That swingarm tubing stiff enough for the job?

4130 Chromoly 1" od .085 wall. Its about 3 times stronger than the tubing the frame itself is made of.   Its about 8$ a foot.

IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #342 - 09/30/11 at 06:57:31

Quote:
Well i found the problem to be a faulty ground wire from the RR.  Im very familiar with the decomp valve and solenoid, as I have deleted it. I have a manual lever on the bars for decomp, I just havent fitted a cable to it yet.

I replaced my bad battery and rode it an estimated 1400 miles with no cranking issues, even with a small scooter battery, WITHOUT any decompression actuation. Id say around 45 cranking's.

Just the other day it started loosing power again. I hope its another fault in the wiring. A friend built the wiring harness and used crimp connectors for some reason. Im going back and replacing each joint with solder and shrink wrap.

I figured with all of your knowledge you wouldn't have overlooked it, but in the pictures I didn't see anything for the decomp solenoid.  It just mirrored my issue so closely.

I bought the bike cheap because it had problems starting. The guy had gone out and bought a brand new sealed battery, got tons of starts from it.  Just like yours then it started refusing to turn over.  He got frustrated with it (it was his only transportation option) and sold it to me after buying a 2006 bike.

After looking at it for a few days I found the electrical system working fine, and figured out that the solenoid cable was broken.  Bought a new one for $14.  Same battery, same wiring, same everything else, the bike has run without issue for (~1000 miles).  I felt bad because the repair was so cheap and took 10 min.

Good luck hunting down wiring issues, that's always the worst thing to find. Undecided

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #343 - 09/30/11 at 15:17:10

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #344 - 10/01/11 at 14:53:07