Horsepower (Read 936 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Horsepower
Reply #30 - 09/10/09 at 08:48:54

TRAVEL is a right. Using commonly available means

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #31 - 09/10/09 at 08:59:11

Look near the bottom of the list.  24.6 HP.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ghakala/bike%20fastest1.htm

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 09/10/09 at 09:45:59

Its not on the bottom theirs bikes with less horsepower.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 09/10/09 at 10:22:19

I see a license as being not an issue of the right to drive or ride, but simply as another means of exacting another TAX.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 09/10/09 at 10:44:07

Taxation is the power to raise revenue.   The power to regulate or (set requirements) was originally held by the States but was taken over by the Fed in order to even out interstate commerce.  

Bureaucrats make regulations supposedly to support the laws (regulations carry the weight of law but is actually created without any of the built in Constitutional checks and balances).  

Czars are bureaucrats, not Constitutionally based at all.

The issue that you folks seem to be arguing about is "social engineering" or "manipulative regulation" something that hasn't existed in America to the odious degree it does now except for the last 15-20 years now.

====================

You ain't seen nothing yet -- unless we all get smart and intentionally hamstring our central government by intentionally electing a president of one party mated to a split congress that cannot functionally pass any more manipulative laws for arguing with itself then run-away social engineering and manipulative regulation will make our lives very very uncomfortable in short order.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 09/10/09 at 11:21:09

This thread has gone from belonging in the cafe, to belonging at the Tall Table....

Anyway,.. I've heard estimates of 29 to 33hp... could be high for a stocker, but 24hp sounds low....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #36 - 09/10/09 at 16:33:57

Wow. 30hp to this....

Grin

07 S40
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #37 - 01/20/10 at 18:01:47

29-31 seems to be the average I've seen.  I got 33hp on my dyno run.  More importantly, though, was the 36ft lbs of torque.  With a bike this light, each additional foot pound of torque makes a difference.  Shift the bulk of that extra torque to the lower revs where you usually ride and the smiles get progressively bigger.  And the cam, carb and other goodies and you're really rockin' then.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 01/20/10 at 18:21:20

Serowbot wrote on 09/10/09 at 11:21:09:
This thread has gone from belonging in the cafe, to belonging at the Tall Table....

You go from cool to constipated hall monitor in milliseconds

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 01/20/10 at 18:49:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/10 at 18:21:20:

and you're a little slow on the uptake...  I made that post 4 months ago... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 01/20/10 at 19:01:28

Bot can do in milliseconds what it takes JOG 4 months to do.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #41 - 01/20/10 at 21:44:27

For me, I'm all about torque.  

There are not many LS650 dyno slips on the net.  About half are from the portable dynos that only show hp.  So I keep a look out for those that show the torque curve and look especially to see which mods effect how early, how flat, where and how wide in the powerband the torque curve remains above about 28 ft lbs.

From the limited dyno slips posted, it seams that adding a supertrapp and rejetting is the quickest way to gain an easy 10% on the torque side.  A supertrapp has the advantage of a short pipe and long pipe.  The section where the cone begins to widen fools the bike into thinking it has a shorter pipe thus more torque in the midrange and higher parts of the powerband.  However, the cone and discs also imitate the dynamics of a longer pipe and this also helps provide torque in the same manner as a concentric longer pipe.  The discs allow one to emulate the restrictiveness of a longer concentric pipe.  Viola, best of both worlds.  The benefit of a supertrapp on the LS650 cannot be argued.  However, the price sometimes sometimes can.  

I managed a 15-20% torque increase, albeit after tons of testing and messing around.  Consider it the poor man's method. But to me it's all about flow.  Intake and exhaust length with appropriate cross-sectional dimensions effect max torque as well as where in the powerband the torque is most prominent.  Longer intake and exhaust paths, up tp a point, equal more torque and torque that is shifted more into the lower to midrange portion of the rpm band.  Shorter intake and exhaust lengths shift the torque more into the midrange and higher rpms.    

A cone filter directly mounted to the carb mouth combined with a shorter pipe (one that ends say 4-5 inches before the rear axle bolt, will have torque shifted more into the mideange to upper rpm.  This is the best setup for WOT but at the expense of low to midrange torque.  If most of your riding is highway and interstate miles, then this is a pretty good setup for you.  

However, I ride in neighborhoods, downtown and stoplight traffic.  I do a lot more stop and go and riding  under 60 mph.  So I want my torque focused in the low to midrange instead so I can get that grin when I turn the throttle.  On the LS650, a longer intake track and longer exhaust, both geared towards increasing air velocity, provide that lovely oomph with the tstyle of riding that I do (or did!)

When I first started modding I did the standard cone filter directly on the carb and a sportster muffler.  I really thought I was getting all of the grin inducing torque that this little thumper is capable of providing.  I certainly didn't realize what I was missing til after the mods.  

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #42 - 01/21/10 at 05:49:19

If you have a horsepower versus rpm curve, it is easy enough to draw your own torque curve. Take the horsepower from the curve, divide it by the rpm at which it occurs, multiply the result by 5252, and you get the torque in ft-lbs. 5252 is the rpm at which the torque and horsepower are equal (in the English measurement system). It is not a magic number, but is derived from the definition of a horsepower, 33000 ft-lbs/min, and the circumference of a circle, 2*pi*radius. As a check on your calculations, below 5252 rpm the torque is higher than the horsepower.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 01/23/10 at 08:17:30

Serowbot wrote on 01/20/10 at 18:49:10:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/10 at 18:21:20:

and you're a little slow on the uptake...  I made that post 4 months ago... Huh

So, youve changed & no longer would have made that post?

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #44 - 01/15/20 at 14:43:23

4carbcorvair wrote on 09/10/09 at 16:33:57:
Wow. 30hp to this....

Grin

========================================

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the HP of the LS650 was what I was looking for too.   I did find it on the net (30 HP) but I have a question about that figure.  I didn't want to start a new thread for this and I definitely don't want to re-start the arguing . . .

I have a 2017 DR650, completely stock, that claims to have 45 HP.  If this 45 HP rating is measured the same as the LS650 (crank or rear wheel) then I can assume that the stock LS650 I am buying will have 33% less power than my DR650?  That doesn't seem right.  If the LS650 "feels" like it has close to the same power on the street as my DR650, I'll be a happy man . . .

Any one have any (street) performance comparison experience between the DR650 and the LS650?  Just curious, BTW.  know the LS650 is not a racer and probably couldn't do 90 MPH top end.  I know what I'm getting, I think.  From review videos I've seen on YouTube, it looks like the LS650 gets up to 80 MPH pretty easily.

« Last Edit: 01/16/20 at 05:02:43 by DesertCat »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 21:15:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horsepower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.