Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Horsepower
Reply #15 - 09/09/09 at 18:50:02

The state has to scrape up the pieces....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/09/09 at 19:48:31

The basis for regulation is exactly the same as the basis for licensing all drivers and making sure they're competent.

You havent a clue..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 09/09/09 at 20:24:35

Can anyone cite a study showing a correlation between young and/or inexperienced motorcyclists and a higher crash rate on high-powered motorcycles? I think it is generally agreed that inexperienced drivers, regardless of the type of machine, are involved in a disproportionately high crash rate. But I do not believe anyone has ever established any correlation showing high-powered machines are more likely to crash than low-powered ones. After all, there doesn't seem to be any demand to restrict inexperienced auto drivers to low-powered cars at first, and surely a teen in a Ferrari must be more dangerous than that same teen in an econobox.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 09/09/09 at 22:51:01

Charon wrote on 09/09/09 at 20:24:35:
Can anyone cite a study showing a correlation between young and/or inexperienced motorcyclists and a higher crash rate on high-powered motorcycles? I think it is generally agreed that inexperienced drivers, regardless of the type of machine, are involved in a disproportionately high crash rate. But I do not believe anyone has ever established any correlation showing high-powered machines are more likely to crash than low-powered ones. After all, there doesn't seem to be any demand to restrict inexperienced auto drivers to low-powered cars at first, and surely a teen in a Ferrari must be more dangerous than that same teen in an econobox.

I can't think of how to phrase a query to find such a stat... If you can, post it.
But, other countries have graduated licenses,... I would guess they have a reason for it.
And insurance rates are higher for both younger riders, and more powerful bikes... They use stats to determine these things...
You do the math... 2 + 2 =?...  

Heck,.. don't even bother!... try common sense...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #19 - 09/10/09 at 01:38:02

kimchris1 wrote on 09/09/09 at 16:51:31:
Some states I have learned do limit the size bike for a new rider to a certain cc or horsepower. Here in Wa State I am endorsed for any 2 wheel vehicle. With NO limits.
I have friends that have told me that years ago they did limit. I am very glad that is a thing in the past... Smiley

That's good to know, as I live in WA too! Cheesy  That is, if I ever decide to (and can afford! Tongue) another, bigger, bike.  Never fear, not considering trading off the Savage. Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/10/09 at 03:35:16

http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs/bulletin9/b9p3.htmlhttp://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/prevention/MotorycycleFactSheet-Professionals.pdf

But the really nice paper I can't read right now:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3882939/Moped-Moto-Riders-Swov

I'll have to peruse that one.

On a strictly rational basis, I could see proposing:

1.  50cc and below for those less than 18 years old.
2.  250 cc and below for those with less than 1 year experience
3.  Abrasion resistant clothing required
4.  High top abrasion resistant boots required
5.  Training course required
6.  Refresher course required every 5 years
7.  Eye test required every 5 years
8.  Retest required every 5 years
9.  Full face helmet required
10.  Neck brace required

So I don't think we're saddled with much compared to what we could be stuck with!

Someone read and summarize that European article.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Steel-Cowboy
YaBB Newbies

I wish I had a
dollor for every
dollar I had !!

Griffin,GA
Reply #21 - 09/10/09 at 03:37:03

Well justin_o_guy2.....what are you comunist??!! The Gov has more rights than we do already!! that's why we left England. Are you running for office? What the h__l? Angry

1996 Honda Shadow (decked out) 1995 Suzuki Savage ,sporster muffler(modified} and home made brake peddle 1981 xs650 Stock
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 09/10/09 at 05:39:35

jabman wrote on 09/09/09 at 15:58:58:
yer, ive just passed my test in the uk and im only 19, so im only allowed up to 33bhp for two years. theres no limit on torque tho  Smiley

There you go, you have the correct perspective.  It is torque that moves you down the road and allows the really fun acceleration.  Focus on those tweaks & mod's that enhance torque and you will have a great ride.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/10/09 at 06:09:27

Steel-Cowboy wrote on 09/10/09 at 03:37:03:
Well justin_o_guy2.....what are you comunist??!! The Gov has more rights than we do already!! that's why we left England. Are you running for office? What the h__l? Angry

No, Ive studied this & as I said, that person hasnt a clue about WHY we are licensed. The Supreme Courts says we dont have to have one. I leave it to you to do your own homework. Ive got years in it.
I am more of a Libertarian.Constitutionalist than anyone else I know.

PS, A License is permission from the State to do what would otherwise be illegal. Following the "logic" of why drivers are Licensed, I would guess people fishing at the lake are licensed so they know what they are doing & newlyweds are licensed so they know how to be married?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 09/10/09 at 06:24:22

Tell me, Justin, do YOU have a driver's license? If, as you say, the Supreme Court (of the United States, of of one State?) holds a driver's license to be unnecessary, are YOU willing to be the test case?

This isn't meant as an attack, by the way. I have seen and read some of the stuff about various court cases holding that a driver's license is unconstitutional, and I suppose I can agree. But, if I were the State govenment, I would simply change the name of the required document to something like "Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency" and continue to require it. For other stuff such as fishing licenses, I would go in either of two directions. I would declare all fish in State waters to be State property and then sell a license to take those fish, or I would find a way to call the license fee a "user fee" instead.

I was stationed in England many years ago, and knew the then requirements for a Learner Permit for a motorcycle. One was restricted to 250 cc, could not carry a passenger, and had to display "L" plates (learner plates). In those days the fast 250s were yet to come. Nowadays, I don't think a 250 Ninja meets the spirit of the limitations. Nor would the Suzuki X-6 Hustler of the '70s. I did notice that there were no displacement requirements for autos for learners, so one could learn in a Ferarri if one had the money.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #25 - 09/10/09 at 07:47:55

voldigicam wrote on 09/10/09 at 03:35:16:
http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs/bulletin9/b9p3.htmlhttp://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/prevention/MotorycycleFactSheet-Professionals.pdf

But the really nice paper I can't read right now:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3882939/Moped-Moto-Riders-Swov

I'll have to peruse that one.

On a strictly rational basis, I could see proposing:

1.  50cc and below for those less than 18 years old.
2.  250 cc and below for those with less than 1 year experience
3.  Abrasion resistant clothing required
4.  High top abrasion resistant boots required
5.  Training course required
6.  Refresher course required every 5 years
7.  Eye test required every 5 years
8.  Retest required every 5 years
9.  Full face helmet required
10.  Neck brace required

So I don't think we're saddled with much compared to what we could be stuck with!

Someone read and summarize that European article.

What the first study shows is that ages 25-44 make up the majority of non-fatal crashes (51%), and that 45-55 is the next highest age group followed by 19-24. It also states that 50% of crashes involved learners or unlicensed drivers.
Now without knowing the numbers of drivers in each age category you cannot make much of that but at the very least it seems to indicate that age is not a factor rather experience is.

No time yet to read the long one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/10/09 at 08:07:12

No, Charon, I KNOW the way things are, & In spite of my knowledge of & understanding of the licensing issue( It is required for a commercial application, note, stagecoaches had Drivers, Trucks Have Drivers, the word is a commercial word) I also know that those who tell me "Ignorance of the law, yadda yadda yadda" are ignorant of the true law & will ticket me & Ill lose in court, unless I have the time & $$$ to press it, & I dont, so I have a license.
Yep, call me a wuss. I feel like a shop owner, paying protection $$$ to the mob, so my store doesnt get robbed, or burned down or vandalized..

Again, a license is permission to do that which would otherwise be illegal,.
Gotta go back to when marriage licenses came into effect, They are not required for all marriages, according to the base law that created them, they are applied evenly, to hide the real purpose.

You dont really believe people had to have a license to be a plumber back in the early days, do you? What changed? When? It wasnt about protecting the public, it was because the peoples legal standing changed in the eyes of the govt.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/10/09 at 08:09:40

I am not advocating untrained people driving, I am arguing against a permission slip, paid for every few years,( A right, taxed) & a right being made into a privilege. I could have a copy of my "Graduated from driving school & passed State approved test" certificate with me, thats not an issue.

When DID travel become a privilege?

IP Logged
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Reply #28 - 09/10/09 at 08:41:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/09 at 19:48:31:
You havent a clue..

You're welcome to believe so.

You're also welcome to actually cite the Supreme Court decision(s) that you claim supports your position.

As for the statistics, the Hurt Study, though old, bears it out very clearly, as do subsequent DOT/NHTSA reports.  Searching on either term should find you multiple copies of each.  If you can't find them, I can try to provide links.

Finally, as for my specific claim, I didn't make a claim as to the "actual" basis for licensing (i.e., whatever shadowy reason you've left unstated, but are sure exists), but said that there is a perfectly legitimate legal basis in the explicit text of the Constitution (which I mentioned).

Now, if you want to argue that the government isn't using that basis, but instead have a (sinister?) ulterior motive in their regulation, you're welcome (heck, I've no problem believing the government is using the facade of legitimacy to collect revenues)...However, that won't change the fact that the Constitution provides more than enough legitimate basis for the regulation (which is the only thing I said).

1998 Savage, Aztec Orange (so the rescue crew can find me, if I get lost at sea).
  IP Logged
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Reply #29 - 09/10/09 at 08:42:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/10/09 at 08:09:40:
I am arguing against a permission slip, paid for every few years,( A right, taxed) & a right being made into a privilege.

Riding a motorcycle is a right?

Precisely what legal precedent or principle establishes riding a motorcycle as a right?

1998 Savage, Aztec Orange (so the rescue crew can find me, if I get lost at sea).
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 14:49:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horsepower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.