Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Exhaust doesn't line up (Read 661 times)
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Exhaust doesn't line up
Reply #15 - 05/20/09 at 09:41:58

options: re-assemble as it was(ill bet you dont like that 1)... fab adaptor for muffler rail to muffler hanger, to move muff mount hole forward an inch or 2(piece of flat stock with 3 holes, 2 to line up with slot on muff, 1 to line up with mounting bracket).... bend OEM muff mount bracket for same effect as option 2.... fab 1 3/4 id to 1 3/4 od adaptor to fill missing length(add 7 degree bend if you like)... leave muff off, re-jet, and learn to enjoy hot gas massaging your ankle at stops.... ill take your word the tubing adaptor sleeve isnt on the headpipe, though in your pics it sure looks like 1 is there, that sharp corner forward of the muff inlet sure looks like the forward shoulder of 1.... measure the end of your headpipe where the muff currently fits.. if it's 1 5/8 od, no adaptor is present, and a piece of straight 1 3/4 tube can make your lengthening sleeve... if it measures 1 3/4 od, then you'll need a 1 3/4 female to male tube....

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #16 - 05/20/09 at 09:46:11

diamond jim wrote on 05/20/09 at 09:22:45:
Yep, I used this:
http://www.itwconsumer.com/productfiles/product_62.jpg

Think of it as Amish pipe welder.   

if you end up using the "smoke wrench separation technique" listen for a "tink" that sounds different than the ones from pipe expansion... that'll be the bond failing.... that's when you wrestle the headpipe free

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #17 - 05/20/09 at 16:37:56

marshall13 wrote on 05/20/09 at 09:41:58:
options: re-assemble as it was(ill bet you dont like that 1)...
fab adaptor for muffler rail to muffler hanger, to move muff mount hole forward an inch or 2(piece of flat stock with 3 holes, 2 to line up with slot on muff, 1 to line up with mounting bracket)....
bend OEM muff mount bracket for same effect as option 2....
fab 1 3/4 id to 1 3/4 od adaptor to fill missing length(add 7 degree bend if you like)...
leave muff off, re-jet, and learn to enjoy hot gas massaging your ankle at stops....
ill take your word the tubing adaptor sleeve isnt on the headpipe, though in your pics it sure looks like 1 is there, that sharp corner forward of the muff inlet sure looks like the forward shoulder of 1....
measure the end of your headpipe where the muff currently fits.. if it's 1 5/8 od, no adaptor is present, and a piece of straight 1 3/4 tube can make your lengthening sleeve...
if it measures 1 3/4 od, then you'll need a 1 3/4 female to male tube....

The OD of the header is roughly 1 5/8" (1.67" according to an electronic caliber - but suspect the skill of the measurer).

The ID of the OEM muffler is roughly the same.

The ID of the HD muffler is roughly 1 3/4" (1.73").

I've added a picture of the end of the header.  
http://picasaweb.google.com/mdahrea/Muffler?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrI5KKr5ubRIQ&feat...

Without force, there's about 7/16" from the mouth of the muffler to the shoulder on the header.

Sounds like I need a 1/16" shim or an extender with a 1 5/8" ID on one end and a 1 3/4" OD on the other.

What can I use for a shim? Would a beer can melt?

Reading the thread by haulback, it sounds like he's been successful getting a muffler shop to make an adapter.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1242565781

I may have to go that route. Other than a new header gasket, what else will I need to buy if I have to take it apart?
This is going to sound like a stupid question: Shouldn't I ride the Savage to the muffler shop so they can make sure it fits?

It's been beautiful the last couple days and I'm becoming annoyed I'm not riding.   Angry

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #18 - 05/20/09 at 17:13:47

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/20/09 at 16:37:56:
marshall13 wrote on 05/20/09 at 09:41:58:
options: re-assemble as it was(ill bet you dont like that 1)...
fab adaptor for muffler rail to muffler hanger, to move muff mount hole forward an inch or 2(piece of flat stock with 3 holes, 2 to line up with slot on muff, 1 to line up with mounting bracket)....
bend OEM muff mount bracket for same effect as option 2....
fab 1 3/4 id to 1 3/4 od adaptor to fill missing length(add 7 degree bend if you like)...
leave muff off, re-jet, and learn to enjoy hot gas massaging your ankle at stops....
ill take your word the tubing adaptor sleeve isnt on the headpipe, though in your pics it sure looks like 1 is there, that sharp corner forward of the muff inlet sure looks like the forward shoulder of 1....
measure the end of your headpipe where the muff currently fits.. if it's 1 5/8 od, no adaptor is present, and a piece of straight 1 3/4 tube can make your lengthening sleeve...
if it measures 1 3/4 od, then you'll need a 1 3/4 female to male tube....

The OD of the header is roughly 1 5/8" (1.67" according to an electronic caliber - but suspect the skill of the measurer).

The ID of the OEM muffler is roughly the same.

The ID of the HD muffler is roughly 1 3/4" (1.73").

I've added a picture of the end of the header.  
http://picasaweb.google.com/mdahrea/Muffler?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrI5KKr5ubRIQ&feat...

Without force, there's about 7/16" from the mouth of the muffler to the shoulder on the header.

Sounds like I need a 1/16" shim or an extender with a 1 5/8" ID on one end and a 1 3/4" OD on the other.

Reading the thread by haulback, it sounds like he's been successful getting a muffler shop to make an adapter.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1242565781

I may have to go that route. Other than a new header gasket, what else will I need to buy if I have to take it apart?
This is going to sound like a stupid question: Shouldn't I ride the Savage to the muffler shop so they can make sure it fits?

It's been beautiful the last couple days and I'm becoming annoyed I'm not riding.   Angry

-D. Dwarf

ok, od is 1 5/8... thats the rough id of 1 3/4 od exhaust tubing... so, hit your local purveyor of auto part, and get as short a length of 1 3/4 as they sell... you only need a few inches... use 2 clamps(1 for each joint, headpipe to your new piece, new piece to muff) make it long enough you can get both on and sealed (dont crowd the clamps)... use the factory end on the headpipe, and if your cut is a little offsquare on the other end, its hidden inside the muff inlet... after you get it all lined up and together loose, loosen up the headpipe retaining bolts at the head, and then tighten everything in sequence, starting at the head, and ending at the muff support.... if you're gonna do the 7 degree bend, then just get the whole shebang at a muffler shop...

edit... i just looked at your new pic, and re=read your dimensions... the 7/16 long section of 1 5/8(the smallest diameter piece of pipe, left in pic) is the headpipe.... you then have a cylindrical sleeve(a couple inches long, heading right in the pic), that ends in a shoulder, then the curve of the outer pipe of the header... the id of the adaptor piece you are fabbing has to fit the od of that larger section behind the 7/16 long stub.... it has to butt against the shoulder at the right end of it in the pic.... the 7/16 long stub isnt long enough to clamp to, it will always leak if you clamp there... so, pull out your calipers again, and measure that cylindrical section just to the right of the stub in the pic.. that will be the id of the front of your adaptor... the other end of your adaptor will be 1 3/4 od...   now for the explanation of the solution and problem... the muff mount bracket, and the rail for the bolt on the muff kept the muffler from actually sealing on that cylindrical section, as the mount kept the muff too far to the rear...the muff inlet should have butted against that shoulder, it didnt in your pics....the short sleeve you are fabbing fits over the full length of the headpipe, from that shoulder to the tip, plus a couple inches to go in the muff inlet... that allows the adaptor you fabbed to seal on the headpipe, then the muff to seal onto the adaptor, and the rail slot to align with the mount for the muff... your finished piece should be somewhere around 5-7 inches long(length of headpipe tip to shoulder, plus depth of inlet nipple in muff, subtract a half inch for fitting, equals the length of your adaptor piece...) im hoping this verbose explanation clarifies what im talking about, as opposed to just further confusion....lol

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #19 - 05/20/09 at 18:30:02

Thats what I used. Busch I believe. Double thickness, about an inch or so wide and just long enough to wrap around and overlap a smidge.  I initially used it with a Dyna and it also worked with the Hard Krome I have now.  It didn't melt with the Dyna.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #20 - 05/20/09 at 18:49:57

beer can sounds ideal - aluminum melts at 660C, engine gets no hotter than 400F (about 200C).  Can coating will smoke off fast.

not Busch!  PAABBBSSTTTT BLUUUUUEE RIBBONNNNN!    (Dennis Hopper quote from Blue Velvet.  no motorcycles)

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #21 - 05/20/09 at 18:57:36

marshall13 wrote on 05/20/09 at 17:13:47:
ok, od is 1 5/8... thats the rough id of 1 3/4 od exhaust tubing... so, hit your local purveyor of auto part, and get as short a length of 1 3/4 as they sell... you only need a few inches... use 2 clamps(1 for each joint, headpipe to your new piece, new piece to muff) make it long enough you can get both on and sealed (dont crowd the clamps)... use the factory end on the headpipe, and if your cut is a little offsquare on the other end, its hidden inside the muff inlet... after you get it all lined up and together loose, loosen up the headpipe retaining bolts at the head, and then tighten everything in sequence, starting at the head, and ending at the muff support.... if you're gonna do the 7 degree bend, then just get the whole shebang at a muffler shop...

edit... i just looked at your new pic, and re=read your dimensions... the 7/16 long section of 1 5/8(the smallest diameter piece of pipe, left in pic) is the headpipe.... you then have a cylindrical sleeve(a couple inches long, heading right in the pic), that ends in a shoulder, then the curve of the outer pipe of the header... the id of the adaptor piece you are fabbing has to fit the od of that larger section behind the 7/16 long stub.... it has to butt against the shoulder at the right end of it in the pic.... the 7/16 long stub isnt long enough to clamp to, it will always leak if you clamp there... so, pull out your calipers again, and measure that cylindrical section just to the right of the stub in the pic.. that will be the id of the front of your adaptor... the other end of your adaptor will be 1 3/4 od...   now for the explanation of the solution and problem... the muff mount bracket, and the rail for the bolt on the muff kept the muffler from actually sealing on that cylindrical section, as the mount kept the muff too far to the rear...the muff inlet should have butted against that shoulder, it didnt in your pics....the short sleeve you are fabbing fits over the full length of the headpipe, from that shoulder to the tip, plus a couple inches to go in the muff inlet... that allows the adaptor you fabbed to seal on the headpipe, then the muff to seal onto the adaptor, and the rail slot to align with the mount for the muff... your finished piece should be somewhere around 5-7 inches long(length of headpipe tip to shoulder, plus depth of inlet nipple in muff, subtract a half inch for fitting, equals the length of your adaptor piece...) im hoping this verbose explanation clarifies what im talking about, as opposed to just further confusion....lol

The OD of the sleeve is 1 5/8. I assumed that was part of the header.

The Harley muffler won't butt up against the shoulder. The shoulder is roughly 2 1/2" from the end. About 2" into the muffler, it narrows. I'm not sure how much. Which is why in the pictures there's roughly 1/2" between the muffler inlet and the sleeve shoulder. I could try to force it on, but the way it lines up it would be against the rear brake cable. I assume that would be bad.

The mounting rail on the muffler is a long slot, so I can adjust it. The bolt that used to be in there was jammed. I messed it up pretty bad getting it out. Time to buy a new bolt! The point being that the mounting didn't affect how far it fit over the header. Just the angle.

I think it works out to 2 issues. First, the 7 degree angle between the muffler and the header. Second, the ID/OD difference.

marshall13 - I appreciate you taking the time to work through this with me. I'm not intentionally being slow, I'm just new to this.

Does anyone know where the 7 degrees came from? I assume someone measured the stock muffler.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #22 - 05/20/09 at 18:59:09

ero4444 wrote on 05/20/09 at 18:49:57:
beer can sounds ideal - aluminum melts at 660C, engine gets no hotter than 400F (about 200C).  Can coating will smoke off fast.

not Busch!  PAABBBSSTTTT BLUUUUUEE RIBBONNNNN!    (Dennis Hopper quote from Blue Velvet.  no motorcycles)

Actually, I think all I have are bottles. That probably wouldn't work as well.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #23 - 05/20/09 at 22:12:24

I tried the adapter pipes from the 'zone, 2 HD clamps and still had leaks. Finally bit the bullet and took the whole thing to a muffler shop. Ten minutes and $20.00 later it's solidly welded and no leaks.Make sure you put the header clamp on before you weld it up :'(. Will cost you $20.00 more if you don't :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(don't ask me how I know!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #24 - 05/20/09 at 23:27:16

DD,

Take your muffler canister and your header pipe to a muffler shop.  They'll fix you right up with a custom adapter pipe, and with two harley 1 3/4" muffler clamps, you will be golden.  And once this is done, you should not have any more leaks.  Trying to find a premade adapter pipe is a waste of time, don't ask how I know.  Using a beer can as a gasket is a stop gap solution at best.  Custom adapter pipe is the way to go.

You do not need the 7 degree bend in the pipe.  Just clean your brake arm off once in a while.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #25 - 05/21/09 at 01:40:28

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/20/09 at 18:57:36:
marshall13 wrote on 05/20/09 at 17:13:47:

The OD of the sleeve is 1 5/8. I assumed that was part of the header.

The Harley muffler won't butt up against the shoulder. The shoulder is roughly 2 1/2" from the end. About 2" into the muffler, it narrows. I'm not sure how much. Which is why in the pictures there's roughly 1/2" between the muffler inlet and the sleeve shoulder. I could try to force it on, but the way it lines up it would be against the rear brake cable. I assume that would be bad.

The mounting rail on the muffler is a long slot, so I can adjust it. The bolt that used to be in there was jammed. I messed it up pretty bad getting it out. Time to buy a new bolt! The point being that the mounting didn't affect how far it fit over the header. Just the angle.

I think it works out to 2 issues. First, the 7 degree angle between the muffler and the header. Second, the ID/OD difference.

marshall13 - I appreciate you taking the time to work through this with me. I'm not intentionally being slow, I'm just new to this.

Does anyone know where the 7 degrees came from? I assume someone measured the stock muffler.

-D. Dwarf

i think the 7 degrees came from trig...lol  not a problem, i enjoy helping... ok, finally im seeing the whole pic.... the twist i saw at the muff inlet was because if straight it fouled the brake cable... ok, so your sleeve can safely be made from straight 1 3/4 pipe (1 3/4 od, 1 5/8ish id)... may as well just hit the muff shop, as you need the bend... measure how long form the shoulder on headpipe to end.. add an inch, thats where the bend goes... add the depth of the inlet of the muff.. that's your overall length(minimum, though you can make it as long as you like)... get the shop to expand the headpipe end of the new piece just a little... dont forget 2 clamps... with your new hanger bolt, get a few washers, that way if the rail is offset from the mount, you can fill in between.... you might want to take the muff to the shop with you, and get the inlet expanded a little too... the more lap in the joints, the better the seal....

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #26 - 05/21/09 at 06:05:07

I was just thinking about revisiting this as I still have some backfiring issues.  When I first got my bike I had the same problem, I had a longer reducer though.  Here is what I did:

1) Took the whole exhaust off.  used WD40 and a rubber mallet to drive the reducer tight into the harley muffler and clamped it on.  No play, no gaps.

2) I wrapped muffler tape around the bottom of the header where the reducer slides on.  You wont get a tight fit because the reducer is standard and the header is metric.  The muffler tape creates a wide seal for two reasons.  1) it allows a snug fit on the reducer to prevent air leaks.  2) its wide enough to allow the reducer to be slightly angled away from the chrome part of the header.  The slight angle is needed to allow you to bolt down the muffler, other wise its to turned in and rubs on the brake cable.

The end result is pretty good.  I think I still have a small leak so I was thinking about pulling it off and making a slice one the reducer so when I clamp it down the metal compresses tight to the muffler tape.

Or after reading this hell I may take it to a local muffler shop lol.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #27 - 05/21/09 at 12:59:58

I've found posts that recommend 7-10 inches in length and 7-10 degrees in bend. I wonder why there's such variation? Or did someone just get their numbers backwards.

I called around. The motorcycle shops weren't very helpful ("we'll have to see it and do the work ourselves"). A few of the muffler shops refused to touch it ("No"). Found one place (national chain) that would "see what they could do, just throw our guy a few bucks".

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it taken care of tomorrow.

With the bend in it, am I limited to the stock heat shield? Will the stock shield stay on with just the single clamp? Other suggestions?

The muffler guy said the pipe would be "aluminized". Is that good?

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
Reply #28 - 05/21/09 at 19:42:41

DD......

Just get the oldest guy in the shop to do the work, and park the bike beside him so he won't have to walk too far......Should be no real drama involved in the operation to speak of - it's all pretty basic stuff for a muffler shop (ever had a look at some of the bendy tailpies on cars? - they have to fab up those sometimes too)

The 7 degree bend is there so that your new muffler will NOT point at the brake arm ... hence, no wiping soot and carbon off it for the rest of your life.

on my install the muffler (a dyna) sits far enough back that i can only get one mounting bolt in it using the stock SUZ braket, but is certainly seems solid enough.  The Dyna is waaaay lighter than the stock pipe,

Good luck on getting it hung on the bike....

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #29 - 05/22/09 at 07:37:54

haulback - Which model exhaust do you have? Mine is 64941-01 from a HARFXD1450.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of space for a bend. With one mounting bolt and the muffler all the way back, there's about 1/2" between the muffler and the header.

Hopefully that will be enough room. I should have bought a flat piece of aluminum to extend the muffler bracket with.

Mow the lawn, then off to the muffler shop!

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 19:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust doesn't line up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.