Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding Two Up ? (Read 348 times)
Rich_G
YaBB Newbies

WPA
Riding Two Up ?
05/26/09 at 09:25:42

Your opinions please ... I bought a new 2007 S40, and really love the bike.  Currently have about 3500 miles on the bike, but have yet to take my wife for a ride.  I'm concerned whether the bike can really handle two adults, and wanted your opinions based on experience riding two up.  Regarding Gross Weight, I go about 145 lbs. and my wife is about 125 lbs.  Intention is not for any type of long trips, just for some local "Relaxation Rides".  Thank you in advance for any advice, comments, etc. ........ Rich
P.S. If your opinions are negative, my plan is maybe to trade up for the S50???

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Re: Riding Two Up ?
Reply #1 - 05/26/09 at 09:31:25

Your 2up weight is well within the specs, so no worries there.  Just inflate the rear tire a little bit (~36psi) and bump the preload on the rear shocks up a couple notches.

That said, I've heard that it isn't the most comfy ride back there, but I don't know first hand.  Wink

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #2 - 05/26/09 at 09:39:20

Moofed wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:31:25:
Your 2up weight is well within the specs

Any idea what the specs are?

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 05/26/09 at 09:52:37

I weight about 170ish and my Wife is around 110ish if that and the bike does just fine. In fact with my Wife and I on, I can still go faster than my Dad's with just him on it and we weight more added together than he does. You'll be fine. It actually handles better I think with two ppl on.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 05/26/09 at 10:00:48

I weigh around 195 and the wife, well. lets' just say it's a secret. We've done 50 + mile day trips, while not comfortable, quite doable. The bike will handle it no problem, your wife's backside, may say otherwise.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/26/09 at 10:08:49

There are 3 weights when referring to a vehicle.
1. Dry weight - stock - no fluids - 352 pounds
2. Curb weight - stock - with fluids, ready to ride - 381 pounds
3. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)  The total weight the vehicle can carry which includes, the mototcycle itself, passengers, fluids, mods, luggage, pets, dirt, etc.  I know I have seen this spec for the Savage, but I can't find it now.  Maybe in Clymers or the SSM?  Somewhere around 680 pounds if memory serves me.. (doubtful at my age)
Oh well..  Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 05/26/09 at 10:20:09

Rogue Cheddar, did you say somethin' 'bout my wife's backside?!?!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 05/26/09 at 10:22:52

Back seat part is HARD, and sucks to ride on for a long time.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #8 - 05/26/09 at 10:32:49

youzguyz wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:08:49:
3. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)  The total weight the vehicle can carry which includes, the mototcycle itself, passengers, fluids, mods, luggage, pets, dirt, etc.  I know I have seen this spec for the Savage, but I can't find it now.  Maybe in Clymers or the SSM?  Somewhere around 680 pounds if memory serves me.. (doubtful at my age)
Oh well..  Tongue

I think it's stamped on the frame. On the head tube I think. I will check when I get home this afternoon. Take that, subtract the Curb Weight and that should be what the Savage can carry, right?

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #9 - 05/26/09 at 10:45:25

According to my '98 savage the weights are listed as follows:

Gross Vehicle Weight- 785 lbs.
Gross axle weight at front axle is 265 lbs.
Gross axle weight at rear axle is 520 lbs.

This is assuming a tire inflation of 29psi in the front and 36 in the rear.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #10 - 05/26/09 at 12:48:46

You will be fine of weight. I find me and my wife don't have much wiggle room though. The seat is not the best, but I have a older model with the sissy bar. I don't know about the newer seat.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 12:49:52

New seat sucks really bad on the back. I went for a ride a long time ago with my Dad and I didn't make it more than 8 miles and I was DONE.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 13:36:28

SavageDanny wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:32:49:
youzguyz wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:08:49:
Oh well..  Tongue

I think it's stamped on the frame. On the head tube I think. I will check when I get home this afternoon. Take that, subtract the Curb Weight and that should be what the Savage can carry, right?

Correct.  So, (using DavetheDog's numbers)
785-381 = 404 pounds for people, gear, etc.  (Not that your bike is going to LIKE hauling that much.. but it can)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 05/26/09 at 16:06:21

I'm 254lbs the last time I checked, and I rode two up with my brother a couple of times and he is over 200lbs as well (don't know exact number) The point being, the FireLizard pulled us both around with no trouble, but I definitely would NOT recommend doing such weight on a constant basis. With that much weight, the front end (even with my heavy girder front end) was extremely light and did not have much control.

Lighter riders and passengers should not have that trouble however.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 17:59:56

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/26/09 at 16:06:21:
I'm 254lbs the last time I checked, and I rode two up with my brother a couple of times and he is over 200lbs as well (don't know exact number) The point being, the FireLizard pulled us both around with no trouble, but I definitely would NOT recommend doing such weight on a constant basis. With that much weight, the front end (even with my heavy girder front end) was extremely light and did not have much control.

Lighter riders and passengers should not have that trouble however.

Hey Yonuh! Got any pics of you and your bros. Two up? lol.
Here is what I just received in the mail for my rear seat. I tried it on the saddle as a tester today and it helped distribute the vibes quite a bit. It is however intended for the passenger seat. My lady should like it as it widens the seating area. I will test it out on our date night this friday and keep you all posted as to how she likes it.
http://www.seatsaddle.com/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:22:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Two Up ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.