Speed pins (Read 497 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Speed pins
05/26/09 at 03:29:43

For you fellows who substituted speed pins (aka quick pins, ball lock pins, ball detent pins, fast pins) for the bolts on your seat; what size did you use, and did you sub all three bolts, or just the two on the side?
Wanting to get to the hardware store today. I have the seat off, and I swear I DO NOT want to put the %*#@# bolts back on that thing unless I absolutely have to. ARGH! PITA, PITA, PITA! Angry
Thanks.
I'll calm down now. Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Speed pins
Reply #1 - 05/26/09 at 03:39:15

I just did the two on the sides.  I got 1/4 pins (I think, if no one else replies, holler back and I will go check) and had to drill out the threads/holes just a shade.  It is SO much easier to get the things off and especially back on.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #2 - 05/26/09 at 05:34:51

Some one should post a pic, I'd like to see how it looks/works.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/26/09 at 05:47:34

I second Duane's request.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 05/26/09 at 06:33:30

OK Guys,

Here is what I did and what it looks like.

You really cannot see the pins with the saddle bags in place.

I took the seat off, got two 1/4 inch ball detent pins from the hardware store.  The bolt is metric, but metric stuff is hard to come by.  Those were the closest I could find.  I then had to drill out the holes the bolts went into, basically just knocking off a tad of the threads so the pins would fit in.

There was nothing to it.  To take off the seat simply pull the pins, to put it back on, line the pins up and stick them in.  They are tight, I have had no problems of any kind with this.  

I think that verslagen did some kind of pin mod as well, but I did not search for it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/26/09 at 07:38:20

Sportster seat mod

These are push to release type speed pins

WWW   IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #6 - 05/26/09 at 08:48:12

Man, what a great idea! That should have been obvious to someone that worked many early years in a hardware store. I can't believe it never struck me before, but I guarantee you I'll be stopping by the store on the way home from school today! Thanks again for pics of yet another Savage "smart mod".

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 05/26/09 at 08:51:06

Looks like a great idea. I don't mind my seat in the stock position. Would like some springs but don't want to loose my back seat.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/26/09 at 08:56:05

I can still get the speed pins I used, not exactly the one pictured.
I'll have to check on the price but I think $10 to 15 per pair shipped.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 05/26/09 at 09:06:43

I just picked mine up at the hardware store, alot cheaper.

prechermike   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 05/26/09 at 09:14:01

I can't tell, PrecherMike:  What holds them in?  Just friction or are they threaded?  I'm guessing on Verslagen's they have a little ball on the end that engages and releases based on the position of the pin??...Guy

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 09:22:54

serenity3743 wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:14:01:
I can't tell, PrecherMike:  What holds them in?  Just friction or are they threaded?  I'm guessing on Verslagen's they have a little ball on the end that engages and releases based on the position of the pin??...Guy

Prechermike's are retained by a springloaded detent ball... takes a good tug to remove them... Verslagen's when you push the center pin in, a groove in the pin allows the ball to slide into the outer pin body, very positive retention...

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 09:40:48

marshall13 wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:22:54:

Prechermike's are retained by a springloaded detent ball... takes a good tug to remove them... Verslagen's when you push the center pin in, a groove in the pin allows the ball to slide into the outer pin body, very positive retention...

Marshall is right, it takes a very deliberate pull or push to get them in or out.  I was a little concerned about them falling out and I checked them alot to begin with, but now I have no worries with them.  

prechermike   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/26/09 at 09:57:45

prechermike wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:40:48:

Marshall is right, it takes a very deliberate pull or push to get them in or out.  I was a little concerned about them falling out and I checked them alot to begin with, but now I have no worries with them.  

wait til they corrode a little...lol  might want to get in the habit of lubing the balls when you pull them... do you think the strains of slapping them in and tugging them out may eventually cause the seatpan brackets to loosen?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 10:04:55

marshall13 wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:57:45:
prechermike wrote on 05/26/09 at 09:40:48:

wait til they corrode a little...lol  might want to get in the habit of lubing the balls when you pull them... do you think the strains of slapping them in and tugging them out may eventually cause the seatpan brackets to loosen?

Lubing is probably a good idea, I will do that when I put them back in now.  I have not seen any change in the brackets, they seem to be just like they were when I started, but I will keep an eye on them.

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 12:05:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speed pins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.