Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dyna adaptor/shield question. (Read 214 times)
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
dyna adaptor/shield question.
05/17/09 at 06:09:40

Just picked up an entire HD dyna exhaust set (including headers, clamps, etc as removed from their bike) So I have bits of straight pipe I can cut out, 2 muffler clamps that secured mufflers to the pipe, some chrome hangers etc.  ($45 CDN)

Just re-reading posts I can find to familiarize myself with install procedures....a couple questions...i know answers are probably around somewhere, but just can't find them....... Honestly, have looked and read stuff over the last few days, even made notes etc. so as not to bother folks....but...

Adaptor angle....people seem to recommend a 7 degree (??) bend in adaptor between Suz pipe and HD exhaust to keep brake arm clean (this seems like a good idea)- is it better to angle 'out' or 'down' to keep arm clear of exhaust

Looks in photos like some guys buy new heat shields to cover joint in new install......is this a HD item?????    any idea what to ask for (part # or name) when I go to buy one from them????

And finally.....will do white spacer & carb re-jet in a few weeks, (boat currently out of the water and eating up all my time) but in the meantime  - I understand I should probably adjust idle mixture screw (haven't drilled it out yet) .....What is best guess for how much, and in which direction???

Bike is a 2008 , completly stock at this point......but not for long!!!

Thanks......

IP Logged
PTRider

Re: dyna adaptor/shield question.
Reply #1 - 05/17/09 at 07:59:31

Why change the header pipe?  The Harley Dyna is 48 cubic inches per cylinder.  Our Savage is 40.  20% difference.  Bigger is not better in exhausts.  The rule is that for more power at high rpms (and give up power at lower rpms) one wants a bigger diameter and shorter length pipe.  For more power at lower rpms (and give up power at higher rpms) one wants a skinnier, longer pipe.  We need to keep in mind that we're not dealing with steady flow; we're dealing with pulsating hot gas.

"The first consideration is the proper tube diameter.  Many people think "Bigger is Better", but this is not the case.  The smallest diameter that will flow enough air to handle the engine's c.c. at your desired Red Line R.P.M. should be used.  This small diameter will generate the velocity (air speed) needed to "Scavenge" at low R.P.M.s."
http://ssheaders.com/header.htm

"The most important part of a header's design is to get the tube diameter selected correctly - whether the engine is used in a daily driver situation or used for all out racing - because that diameter establishes the gas velocity inside of the header which then establishes the primary scavenging characteristic of the header. If the header tube diameter is selected correctly, the engine then produces a noticeable increase of power over a wide rpm band which makes correct size selection almost more beneficial (almost more important) for a street car than it is for a a race car. If the header tube diameter is too big, the top end power might go up a a little but the bottom end and mid-range power will actually be reduced by a far larger amount. (We've seen engines experience a 5-10% loss in power in the mid-range to get less than a 1% gain on top end just by oversizing a header by ONE tube size!) "
http://headersbyed.com/xfaq.htm

More:  http://burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Theory/theory.html

Design of multicylinder exhaust is more complex than a single cylinder system, but the principles are exactly the same.  Try the bigger pipe.  If you feel a loss of low end power, the pipe is too big in diameter.  If you feel a gain in power in the range you want, you've done good.  Do your best to identify a gain in noise level from a gain in real power.

Turning the idle mixture screw counterclockwise richens the mixture.  With the engine fully warmed, turn the screw in clockwise until the rpms drop.  Note this point (turn it all the way in to the stop and back out to this point counting the turns so you know where you are.)  Turn the screw counterclockwise until the rpms drop again, counting the turns.  Repeat this a couple of times to find the points that give these actions.  Go halfway between the two points, ride, and fine-tune the screw setting to get the response you like.  Some folks feel a difference in 1/8th turn changes.  I don't.  It takes more change for me to feel a difference.  Let us know what your engine likes--and there is no one setting that is just right for all engines.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/17/09 at 13:13:12

most who do the dyna conversion report being able to use the stock heatshield... if you use the dyna exhaust's pipe to make your "dogleg adaptor" to add the 7 degree pitch to the muff, you'll still need a sleeve to make up the difference between the headpipe end od, and the harley pipe id... im pretty sure Diamond Jim said he split a piece of chromed drainpipe for his custom shield... could do the same with a length of stainless exhaust tubing too.... or carbon, and paint it... any help?

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/09 at 19:47:42

thanks for the advice re: mixture screw and rest of it....had no notion of using HD header, however - just the muffler.

Should get around to putting on Dyna exhaust in a week or so, will let you know how it goes.

Still wondering if the angle should be 'out' or 'down' to avoid brake arm but will probably be able to figure it out when I start to put things together and can eyeball how it all goes together....unless someone wants to chime in.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 05/17/09 at 21:12:36

You don't really need the angle - but an out angle will keep the brake arm clean.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #5 - 05/17/09 at 21:24:55

I did mine without the bend, and I do wipe the brake arm clean every so often. I went with the Cobra 7" chrome heat shield (2" vrn.) Looks good.
Also, used 2 HD clamps, very heavy duty & they do the job well.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/09 at 05:27:42

TheCaliKid wrote on 05/17/09 at 21:24:55:
I did mine without the bend, and I do wipe the brake arm clean every so often. I went with the Cobra 7" chrome heat shield (2" vrn.) Looks good.
Also, used 2 HD clamps, very heavy duty & they do the job well.

Could show me these harley clamps? I may need a second one. Just so  I know how they look.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 05/18/09 at 06:58:30

When your done make sure to show us some pictures. I love pictures.  Smiley

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #8 - 05/18/09 at 19:40:27

HD Clamp looks like this
http://bikepics.com/pictures/1672036

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/19/09 at 21:06:32

So, put new dyna muffler on today. Not a permanent job, will have to get in to muffler shop to get a adaptor and  bent connection piece made up to make everything look nice. Used some brass shim stock and a few hose clamps, along with an HD clamp to join everything together.

VERY NICE sound, not loud but a bit deeper and you can hear the 'THUMP' better.  Will be well worth the extra bucks to finish the job nicely.

Only downside is that whilst fiddling around with the idle screw adjustment, managed to mess up the slot in the top of it. I seem to recall someone else did this recently and thet they got  a new one from Suz dealer. Guess that is what i will do too. Can't seems to find the thread it was in, but will keep looking

Luckily the bike is running well with no backfiring issues and seems to have lots of power etc, so at least can still drive it around untill I get new replacement idle screw

Any surprises to expect when I change idle screw???? I am supposing I just screw it out and put the new one in.....yes??

thump-on

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/19/09 at 21:16:49

Just found thread i was looking for......will try to get new idle mixture adjustment scew, or at least get one on order, for tomorrow.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #11 - 05/19/09 at 21:17:16

haulback wrote on 05/19/09 at 21:06:32:
So, put new dyna muffler on today. Not a permanent job, will have to get in to muffler shop to get a adaptor and  bent connection piece made up to make everything look nice. Used some brass shim stock and a few hose clamps, along with an HD clamp to join everything together.

VERY NICE sound, not loud but a bit deeper and you can hear the 'THUMP' better.  Will be well worth the extra bucks to finish the job nicely.

Only downside is that whilst fiddling around with the idle screw adjustment, managed to mess up the slot in the top of it. I seem to recall someone else did this recently and thet they got  a new one from Suz dealer. Guess that is what i will do too. Can't seems to find the thread it was in, but will keep looking

Luckily the bike is running well with no backfiring issues and seems to have lots of power etc, so at least can still drive it around untill I get new replacement idle screw

Any surprises to expect when I change idle screw???? I am supposing I just screw it out and put the new one in.....yes??

thump-on

pretty much, anti-sieze on the threads might be nice... might be a good idea to check your screw drivers against the slot of the new screw, and use the one that fits it best from now on... if they all fit badly, you can grind a larger 1 for a custom fit...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/19/09 at 21:37:47

Check and make sure it's the right idle screw, I think someone said the replacement they got was different.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 05/20/09 at 09:06:26

marshall13 wrote on 05/17/09 at 13:13:12:
... im pretty sure Diamond Jim said he split a piece of chromed drainpipe for his custom shield... could do the same with a length of stainless exhaust tubing too.... or carbon, and paint it... any help?

Nope, I got a sampson 10" long for 2" pipe heat shield from ebay.  But your other ideas would work.

Haulback, if you do the extension, I recommend wrapping the extension with header wrap or fabbing an inner heat shield of some type.  This is in addition to adding the chrome outer heat shield.  The header is double walled and the muffler double walled.  That helps with heat dissipation especially on the engine side of the pieces.  The bare extension will radiate a lot of heat.  Here's the thread where I made an inner heat shield for the new exhaust.  The thermal pis is with a muffler directly to the header.  An extension would be even hotter.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1233641307/1#1

Thermal protection might not be needed but when I'm sitting at a long red light during the summer heat I feel a lot better having that protection.

IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/20/09 at 15:55:27

Thanks for the advice...

Went to muffler shop today and had a really nice connection peice made for between header and dyna muffler. Worked along with him, so got just what I wanted - started out with a 1 3/4 inch section of 14 ga. muffler pipe, put in (recommended) 7 degree bend. We had to put the slightest bit of a flare into the end that fitted onto header to get a nice snug, almost 'drive' fit - well we did have to employ the large rubber mallet for a few smacks - then smeared it with a bit on high-temp silicone before we put it on. Slipped dyna onto other end ( this was easy after inserting end of muffler into flaring machine to open it up a wee bit)  Used one on the HD clamps that came with dyna mufflers.

Muffler held on to Suz muffler bracket by one bolt, but it all seems quite secure. -will keep my eye on it for a while - The after end of the muffler is about 1 1/4 inches in front of, and maybe 7/8 of an inch off to the side of the brake arm. Looks just about right as far as placement on the bike.

As far as heat sheild on the inside of the extension.... a good idea that I had not considered, but easily done, as when I bought the whole HD exhaust set it came with heat sheilding most of the way down the header pipes -  so it's just the job of a minute to hack one to length and mount it on the inside of the extension.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:15:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyna adaptor/shield question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.