Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
jetting help (Read 948 times)
Mortation

Re: jetting help
Reply #15 - 04/14/09 at 11:10:52

matt_savage wrote on 04/14/09 at 11:09:26:
back firing on decel most times has to do with exhaust leaks.  I had a little popping on decel and when I checked my exhaust connections the header bolts were a little loos as was the connection with the header and muffler.  I tightenend both of these up and popping on decel went away.  

True, but I have no baffle so I always have a leak lol.  No back pressure.  So I needed to rejet to fatten it up to try and compensate.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 04/14/09 at 16:30:15

Mortation wrote on 04/14/09 at 11:02:00:
LANCER wrote on 04/14/09 at 10:59:21:
Mortation wrote on 04/14/09 at 07:02:51:
My bike was over jetted with a 155 main, a 55 pilot, stock air box, and three washers in place of the white spacer.

I changed to 152.5 main and a 52.5 pilot.  Sounds great, runs great at idle, and smooth throttle control.

However when riding the bike if I roll hard on the throttle I get sputtering and hesitation or if I let the RPMS get to high same deal.  I did not change the washer spacing, its still 3 washers.

Thoughts?

If by that you mean you are going wide open throttle then it sounds too rich in the high range, which would mean going down to a #150 main jet.

Yea, if I roll on the throttle hard like to accelerate quickly the bike jerks, sputters, hesitates.  Hmm, didnt do it with the 155/55 setup.  Isnt 150 stock?

145 is stock unless your a 86-88 bike - 155/55 is getting pretty dang big

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #17 - 04/14/09 at 17:29:10

Reelthing wrote on 04/14/09 at 16:30:15:

Bike is an 88.  I went to 150 per Lancers recommendation.  Better but still has the same problem but I do have more throttle range.  I couldn't really hit it hard cause its late and the bike is loud.  I will give it a real go in the AM and see how it rides.

So as of right now I have a 150 main, 52.5 pilot, 3 washers in place of white spacer, stock air box, baffle free harley muffler.  Mixture screw 2 turns out.  Also, have a NGKDPR7EA-9 plug

Not sure where to go from here.  I am thinking of going back to the 155/55 setup and toss on a cone filter in place of the snorkel (it will fit right?).  At the 155/55 setup it was very rich, trashed a plug and black soot at the end of the muffler.  BUT it had full throttle range and little to no back firing (w/ a clean plug anyway).

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
botwrong
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/14/09 at 18:06:46

I think i'm having the same problem, already did the washer trick, don't remember how many,  was running great with stock muff  (no backfiring) put on one of those "mufflers" that have different size openings on each end.  Bike is now just loud enough to be obnoxious, which is perfect for me.  Throttle response seems much better, but under hard acceleration, seems to just hesitate.  I've been lurking here for a while, but my brother just gave me the bike I've been riding, so now I can do what I want to it.  86 ls650 spacer trick, cover removed from air box, new muff. other than that mostly stock.

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #19 - 04/14/09 at 18:32:38

I would also like to point out some inconsistency between my carb and the fiche image.

According to the fiche the main jet should have 1 washer.  My carb has 2 washers.  I also had two washers for part 7 but I took one out.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 04/14/09 at 19:09:28

two washers on the main jet will lower it away from the needle and make the bike run rich.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 04/14/09 at 21:40:52

Mortation wrote on 04/14/09 at 17:29:10:
Reelthing wrote on 04/14/09 at 16:30:15:

Bike is an 88.  I went to 150 per Lancers recommendation.  Better but still has the same problem but I do have more throttle range.  I couldn't really hit it hard cause its late and the bike is loud.  I will give it a real go in the AM and see how it rides.

So as of right now I have a 150 main, 52.5 pilot, 3 washers in place of white spacer, stock air box, baffle free harley muffler.  Mixture screw 2 turns out.  Also, have a NGKDPR7EA-9 plug

Not sure where to go from here.  I am thinking of going back to the 155/55 setup and toss on a cone filter in place of the snorkel (it will fit right?).  At the 155/55 setup it was very rich, trashed a plug and black soot at the end of the muffler.  BUT it had full throttle range and little to no back firing (w/ a clean plug anyway).

No idea what Lancer told you to do - did he know it was a '88 carb? - very different carb jets wise than '95+ - stock on yours was a 155/47.5 and your needle did  not need any washers it was a different needle than '95+ carbs.... I haven't been watching the post lately sorry....

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 04/14/09 at 21:45:22

Mortation wrote on 04/14/09 at 18:32:38:
I would also like to point out some inconsistency between my carb and the fiche image.

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Mikuni_101web.jpg

According to the fiche the main jet should have 1 washer.  My carb has 2 washers.  I also had two washers for part 7 but I took one out.

two washers on the main jet is a mistake - get rid of one - as lng as we talking about the factory washers - fairly thick brass? or something else?

you had two #7's? - someones been funk'n with you crab - need to get it back to where it started and tune from there

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #23 - 04/14/09 at 21:50:23

Quote:

Wrong part.  Look at part #4, the spacer.  If a substitute spacer is used that is thinner, the needle is lifted for a richer mid-range mixture.  My spacer measured about 2.7mm.  Three 3mm washers measures about 1.5mm and works well for me on my 2001.  The #7 washer has a different function and remains as shown.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 04/14/09 at 22:06:41

PTRider wrote on 04/14/09 at 21:50:23:
Quote:

Wrong part.  Look at part #4, the spacer.  If a substitute spacer is used that is thinner, the needle is lifted for a richer mid-range mixture.  My spacer measured about 2.7mm.  Three 3mm washers measures about 1.5mm and works well for me on my 2001.  The #7 washer has a different function and remains as shown.

Now dang it - there's a spring that goes in the hole and washer that goes over it in goes the needle with a clip next is the white spacer and the plate - dimple down if I remember correct and 2 number 1 phillips screws

on a 1988 he does not need to do the routine white spacer/ washer lift

in fact on a few through 86-87 the needle had 3 different slots for the clip

My fear is he is being given advice for a 95+ carb and that is not what he has

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #25 - 04/15/09 at 05:05:13

Reelthing wrote on 04/14/09 at 21:40:52:
No idea what Lancer told you to do - did he know it was a '88 carb? - very different carb jets wise than '95+ - stock on yours was a 155/47.5 and your needle did  not need any washers it was a different needle than '95+ carbs.... I haven't been watching the post lately sorry....

Not sure what you mean by it doesnt need any washers...

two washers on the main jet is a mistake - get rid of one - as lng as we talking about the factory washers - fairly thick brass? or something else?

you had two #7's? - someones been funk'n with you crab - need to get it back to where it started and tune from there

Thats what I was thinking.  The washers are brass, look like I would expect from what I have seen in other carbs except I expected one and got two.  The two washers together bring the bottom of the head of the main jet plum with the lip of the carb tube that the main jet screws into.  If I removed one of the washers the main jet would be slightly recessed into the tube.  Do you know how thick the stock washer is?  If so I can measure one of the washers with my digital calipers.

Thats what I thought.  I expected spring, washer, clip, spacer.  What I had was spring 2 washers, clip spacer.  I removed one of the washers.  I didnt measure the white spacer when I pulled it.  But I have it, I can measure it.  I still have a whole baggy of them too from other bikes I have done.

Now dang it - there's a spring that goes in the hole and washer that goes over it in goes the needle with a clip next is the white spacer and the plate - dimple down if I remember correct and 2 number 1 phillips screws

on a 1988 he does not need to do the routine white spacer/ washer lift

in fact on a few through 86-87 the needle had 3 different slots for the clip

My fear is he is being given advice for a 95+ carb and that is not what he has

I did not check the needle to see if it was adjustable.  I was under the impression for the most part OEM adjustable needles disappeared in the late 70's when the EPA started making stricter rules.  I have had to replace the white spacer with washers on many carbs.

Are you saying for my 88' using the three washers in place of the white spacer raised the needle to much making it to rich?  Should I put the white spacer back in?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #26 - 04/15/09 at 06:38:19

I am saying the common fix to raise the needle on '86-88 wasn't  needed by default because it wasn't a lean running carb from the factory like the '95 and later carbs - they are different.

The needle on some of 86-88's have three groves on the needle so instead of changing the thickness of the white spacer you could just move the c-clip to a different grove to richen or lean the mid-range.

Read this spec on the carbs...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #27 - 04/15/09 at 06:40:52

Well the results are in.  I rode the bike to work and its better.  I would say I can now hammer to 1/2 throttle without issues.  "normal" riding is fine, like around town.  If I go WOT or hammer hard beyond 1/2 throttle I go back to the popping, jerking, and hesitation.

So I am thinking remove my extra washer on the pilot and give it a shot.  If still not better add another washer to the needle.  Thoughts?

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #28 - 04/15/09 at 06:48:37

Reelthing wrote on 04/15/09 at 06:38:19:
I am saying the common fix to raise the needle on '86-88 wasn't  needed by default because it wasn't a lean running carb from the factory like the '95 and later carbs - they are different.

The needle on some of 86-88's have three groves on the needle so instead of changing the thickness of the white spacer you could just move the c-clip to a different grove to richen or lean the mid-range.

Read this spec on the carbs...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040

Hmmm ok.  I have checked out that thread before.  I will try my above thoughts and if that doesnt solve the problem I will put the white spacer back in.  Do you know which groove was the stock setting?  I will check my needle tonight and see if it has grooves.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 04/15/09 at 07:16:14

Was in the center - but I believe an '88 only had one you'd have to look - the EPA had not had it's way with the carbs yet like was done with 95 and up - if it is an '88 carb and hasn't been replaced - I'd go back to the stock jets and work up from there - you should have had a 155/47.5 to start with

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:47:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › jetting help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.