Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Belt sounds like Wheel of Fortune (Read 396 times)
bornd46
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belt sounds like Wheel of Fortune
06/17/08 at 13:43:04

Picked up a '99 mid april and there's been a hum/rubbing noise during deceleration. After looking through topics on here I figured it was the belt, so I used some dry silicon lube... now it's louder and sounds like the wheel on wheel of fortune. It's definately coming from the drive pulley/belt. Pushing it around or with the clutch in when driving=very noticeable. After I let the clutch out=not as noticeable. Any Ideas? Tighten belt, new belt, alignment....anything?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Belt sounds like Wheel of Fortune
Reply #1 - 06/17/08 at 17:25:49

Try to twist the belt 90 degrees by hand,on the bottom in the middle of the belt.If you can't,the belt is too tight

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
bornd46
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/17/08 at 17:58:14

Just tried it and the 90 was there....also another tid bit, pushing the bike around in neutral the noise is barely noticeable going backwards, much louder pushing forwards if that means anything

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/17/08 at 18:40:41

I dont suppose you have taken off the rear wheel and checked the bearings....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/17/08 at 20:40:26

check the drive pulley nut for torque.

WWW   IP Logged
bornd46
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/17/08 at 21:40:56

I'm pretty green when it comes to digging in very deep, but I'll check both those out. I was hoping the noise only happening in one direction would rule out bearings, how messy of a job would that be? Thanks for the help, be back with an update soon....hopefully

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/17/08 at 23:55:49

I think Verslagen is telling you tio make sure the front pulley, under the side cover up by your left ankle, is torqued properly. Sorry if you already got that, wasnt trying to be a snot, Im just so good at it, I dont HAVE to try..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/18/08 at 03:10:34

If you have a lot more noise rolling one direction than the other, look at how the belt is "tracking" forward vs backwards.  It could be that the wheel is crooked in the swing arm.
While there are alignment marks on each side to assist with getting it straight, some people say they could be off.  There are other message threads that address how to check it.
BTW, the belt will always go a bit from one side to the other, as the rubber bumpers in the rear wheel sprocket flex.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #8 - 06/18/08 at 05:56:11

All this talk about belt noise and stuff had me to the "since I have time, I'll go and check mine" thing.  Good thing I did.  I have had a squeak for a little while.  Did the belt dressing thing and it helped.  This morning, I check the belt for  wear at the drive pulley.  What did I see????  A big deal in the inboard side of the drive pulley...how it got there is a mystery to me.  I also checked the pulley itself.  LOOSE!...working around like a 5$ tart in a sailor's bar.  So I took the pulley off, straightened the dent and reassembled the bewlt, pulley and all. Retourqued the nut and re-bent the locking washer.  Now the pulley is tight..no movement and the belt is silent as the grave.  WOOHOO!

t Smiley Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/18/08 at 06:16:19

as others pointed out - what you describe and what happens is in this post

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1130022642

not that other things can't produce the same sound but I'd sure have a look this

IP Logged
bornd46
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/18/08 at 06:36:57

Thanks a lot everybody, gonna get into the bike this afternoon

IP Logged
bornd46
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/18/08 at 11:33:46

Well.....started playing over my lunch break, torque is at about 40-45 on the drive pulley, some were saying on other threads 90lbs others saying no way so i dunno sounds average. alignment is good as far as i can tell belt has pretty minimal difference in tracking, only thing i found was using my belt tension guage it went to the bottom line instead of the middle like the clymer says.... would that be worth adjusting or is it not too much of a difference?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/18/08 at 11:38:26

That gauge is only good for tossing at cagers that are crowding you.

Use the 90° twist method, grab the lower belt mid way and if you can twist it 90° then it's adjusted correctly.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 06/19/08 at 08:04:07

The torque on your drive pulley nut should be between 74 to 96 ft/lbs.  If yours is 40-45, it is WAY loose.

I checked mine yesterday (thanks to all you knuckle-heads who said "well darn, mine was loose too!) and found my nut below 60ft/lbs.

I added some thread locker (for good measure) and retorqued it to 85 ft/lbs.  Wouldn't you know it, but no more belt noise.......

Grin

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 06/19/08 at 09:07:58

I don't know about any conflict in recommended torque specs for that pulley and shaft combo, and I still haven't looked in my books, but my 30+ years personal experience as a mechanic on all sorts of equipment, including gearboxes, would make me instinctively want to torque that to 80-100 pounds. I've noticed in the Clymer's book some other torque specs seem to be really light... perhaps that is a statement on the quality of metal commonly used on imported machinery.

I've also been to the Loc-Tite company seminar's on proper use of their thread locking compounds, and personally I wouldn't put the red stud lock on anything that I wanted to ever be able to take apart again. If the hole and stud (or whatever) are clean when that stuff is used, it is like welding the parts together!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 07:09:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt sounds like Wheel of Fortune

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.