Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet Another Air Filter Question (Read 334 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Yet Another Air Filter Question
Reply #15 - 03/29/09 at 20:11:57

Here I thought I'd come up with something new. Great idea serowbot.
Oldfeller, thanks for the tips. I will look at doing both when I get off work. You were my inspiration for looking at filter alternatives. Without your Yoda post on filters, I would've never thought of it; and been stuck paying $35 bucks a pop to Suzuki.
Diamond Jim, thanks for the link to Dan. I've stumbled upon his site a couple of times. His section on valve adjustment, while not Savage specific, is something I consider a must read for the mechanically challenged like myself. I hadn't read the section on air filters. I got it bookmarked and am looking forward to reading what he has to say. I'm also set to do your seat mod tommorrow, in prep for an upcoming jaunt out of town.
Thanks to all for all the tips and support. It's one of the things I love about this site. We may be seperated by many miles, but we never go it alone when it comes to the Savage.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 03/30/09 at 05:04:54

Do you have the one-piece seat or the two piece?  I'm familiar with the modding the one piece.  Big Nix has done the two piece and his looks sharp.  On the two piece, since I had moved the rectifier, I shaved off the bump that is over the rectifier until it was even with the seat.  There were also two ridges on the upper back slope of the rider's seat that I also shaved off even.  

You can either shave it off as well or scallop the inside of the foam to fit over the bumps however it won't look as flat.  After I shaved the bumps I cut a piece of aluminum flashing the shape of the entire top of the seat and riveted it on.  I then sprayed the aluminum and seat pan sides with spray adhesive, applied the foam, worked it over the sides and trimmed it with about 3/4" of foam hanging lower than the edge of the seat pan.  At this point the foam held the shape of the seat.  I covered that with two layers of cotton batting also hanging over the edge 3/4".  Added a plastic cover then the seat cover.  Leaving the extra 3/4" of foam and cotton batting below the seat pan edges is important for getting that nice look where the cover wraps under the seat edge.  Trim the extra hangover a tad in areas that may be difficult to staple.  The plastic is for waterproofing and allowing the seat cover to slide and move around when you sit on it.  Throw the cover in the dryer like Big Nix did to allow it to stretch before stapling.  When you put the cover on, snug up the lowest part across the rider's seat first.  Then work outward.  Do a few staples to hold it on, snug it up, a few more staples and so on.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/31/09 at 00:52:41

Thanks Diamond Jim. I haven't been able to get to it yet. My mother had a setback in her recovery from surgery, and I spent the better part of the evening at the hospital. I also noticed that my rear tire is due for a replacement, so I've had to back burner the seat mod until I get these other issues taken care of. It's on my list though, and I still hope to get it done before my trip. Right now though, it's out to the garage to see if I can wrestle the rear wheel off and head to the shop in the morning for a tire mounting.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:40:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yet Another Air Filter Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!