Savage FI (Read 432 times)
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Savage FI
03/25/09 at 15:02:24

Looked at the 2009 Triumph Bonnevilles last week.  Noticed that they were fuel injected for the first time this year.  The throttle bodies looked a lot like carbs so the retro look was maintained.  I think they went to FI in order to ensure compliance with ever increasing smog requirements in Europe and here?  I wonder if Savage will  be fuel injected or discontinued sometime in the next few years. Undecided

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Savage FI
Reply #1 - 03/25/09 at 15:07:45

My money's on the second scenario.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 03/25/09 at 16:50:23

I wonder if BMW's Rotax single FI system could be modified to work on a Savage?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 03/25/09 at 16:52:19

Of course, they would have to modify the gas tank, and we all know it's sooo cloooose to perfection now..i suspect the second scenario also.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 03/25/09 at 17:08:23

My guess is that it will be the end of the road for the Savage/S40. I figure fuel injection will add several hundred dollars to the price and it will add nothing in performance. I figure the S40 is doomed in a year or so. Suzuki did introduce a 250 cc fuel injected model, so it is at least conceivable that the S40 will soldier on. FI will cure the backfire.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/25/09 at 17:33:06

If they quit making the Savage/S40, what will the spare part situation be?

So Sarge, did you like the new Bonnie?

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 03/25/09 at 17:50:33

SavageDanny wrote on 03/25/09 at 17:33:06:

If they stop making the Savage/S40 I do believe the spare parts will still be plentiful for at least a few years then it will start dwindling.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/25/09 at 19:03:29

Isn't that just way?! You finally find the perfect bike, and they have to go and maybe quit making it. I'll keep mine running as long as possible just for spite!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 03/25/09 at 19:41:16

Must not be perfect to everyone, or there wouldn't be all these posts about modifying it. Let's see - cure the backfire, change the exhaust, "white spacer mod", change the seat, add forward controls, change the tires, change the battery, turn it into a bobber, chain conversion, bigger fuel tank, change the petcock, and on and on. If it were perfect, there would be no need for modifications.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/25/09 at 19:55:56

So some guys thumps down 20g for a harley, you gonna tell 'em he can't change it?

WWW   IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 03/26/09 at 10:14:51

SavageDanny wrote on 03/25/09 at 17:33:06:

I really like the retro looks of the Bonneville T100 and Scrambler. They remind me of the bikes I wanted when I was young.  Downside is they weigh about 100 pounds more than Savage and cost upwards of $8000 new.  Guess I will be keeping my trusty 2003 Savage.

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #11 - 03/26/09 at 10:19:31

I will be staying on my 88 for now. Still paying on my truck. When that thing gets paid off though it's going to be real hard not to go shopping for a new bike. However the Savage will be staying in the garage. Wouldn't trade it in for anything.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/27/09 at 23:05:17

Charon wrote on 03/25/09 at 19:41:16:
Must not be perfect to everyone, or there wouldn't be all these posts about modifying it. Let's see - cure the backfire, change the exhaust, "white spacer mod", change the seat, add forward controls, change the tires, change the battery, turn it into a bobber, chain conversion, bigger fuel tank, change the petcock, and on and on. If it were perfect, there would be no need for modifications.

But Charon, that's the whole point! Try doing that stuff to a Goldwing, or a Ninja, or a KLR. Oh, sure, you can make some mods to almost any bike; but look at the vast number of mods that can be made to the Savage! Some for comfort, some for performance, some for purely asthetic reasons. The Savage takes 'em all, and continues to run. For the less adventurous, and/or the few people that the Savage actually fits right out of the crate, there's always leaving it just plain stock. What other bike, in the Savage's price and performance range, can have so much done to it so realatively easy? That's what I'm talking about.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/27/09 at 23:59:43

careful with mods though. It gets addictive and can end up being quite pricey. I've gone with chain drive, cast wheels from a gs450, SE muffler and (in progress) rejet, I've sold my stock sissy bar and am going to fab my own tall sissy bar, progressive 4005 shocks. Every time i look at my bike Im cooking up new ideas...cone air filter maybe, saw a mod with a great big headlight on here from way back when, aftermakret turn signals, rake job one day maybe, and who knows what else?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 03/28/09 at 05:46:53

I perhaps thought of a different connotation to the word "perfect." I thought of it in its meaning of "cannot be improved." If we are using "perfect" in the sense of being a good basic foundation for all sorts of improvements, we have moved it into the Harley philosopy of supplying just enough machine to be ridden to the accessories outlet. There is apparently a difference in philosophy, here. I want to spend my time riding, not modifiying or wrenching. I try to look for, and buy, the machine that comes closest to what I want, so I don't have to spend (waste?) my time and money changing it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:57:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage FI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.