Send Topic Print
Belt snapped... (Read 295 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Belt snapped...
Reply #15 - 12/05/08 at 08:57:35

SV og LS: Looks like you have nothing I want. I did cover the "generic" belt ground very well as you can look at major belt makers specs online till your head spins, and as you admit: There is no exact replacement. The fact that there are belts that are "pretty close" is no news to me; but I'm not interested in hacking my bike to fit an inferior belt. The last thing a biker wants is some undependable belt that is apt to leave you sitting on the side of the road.

As for swapping to an SV, I wouldn't let the chain stop me; but the bike is so dang ugly!  Grin  In the same vein, I kind of had the hots for the new Kawasaki Versys when I first saw the pictures of them. But then I finally got to sit on one in the showroom. Now, I'm just not sure I really want to deal with the tall seat height. Not that the Savage is that great of a fit for me (as you have experienced). But at least the Savage is a great platform for swapping things around to how you like them if a person is so inclined. With the other mentioned bikes, you better like them as they are; because there aren't anywhere near the options for changing the bike around as there are with the Savage.

Anyways... As I've begun to repeat: you have no information that I haven't covered myself, and there is no point in giving away your secret belt information to the ignorant masses; who would only be likely to mess their bike up, and then blame you for the results!  Grin

See Ya in some other thread later guy!  Wink

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #16 - 12/05/08 at 12:59:58

Rockin_John wrote on 12/05/08 at 08:57:35:
SV og LS: Looks like you have nothing I want. I did cover the "generic" belt ground very well as you can look at major belt makers specs online till your head spins, and as you admit: There is no exact replacement. The fact that there are belts that are "pretty close" is no news to me; but I'm not interested in hacking my bike to fit an inferior belt. The last thing a biker wants is some undependable belt that is apt to leave you sitting on the side of the road.

.. you may have found the same magic number.. 531? Or was it? Anyway, it does also work as an emergency replacement even for a stock bike without the small mods. But only as an emergency, to get the bike home as such. I really haven't checked the prices these days if the generic belt's a good value or not.

As for swapping to an SV, I wouldn't let the chain stop me; but the bike is so dang ugly!  Grin  In the same vein, I kind of had the hots for the new Kawasaki Versys when I first saw the pictures of them. But then I finally got to sit on one in the showroom. Now, I'm just not sure I really want to deal with the tall seat height. Not that the Savage is that great of a fit for me (as you have experienced). But at least the Savage is a great platform for swapping things around to how you like them if a person is so inclined. With the other mentioned bikes, you better like them as they are; because there aren't anywhere near the options for changing the bike around as there are with the Savage.

I've already had a SV650 for a couple of years, it has seen a bit of road and I may replace it to something more comfortable this winter as I do mostly work related riding, boring roads in bad weather if my schedule tells so. I am about 192 cm with boots so I fit largish bikes well. It'll be midsized, below 1000cc road bike, my lower back don't like cruisers, I need to get a bit of weight off my a*se into hands and feet. Modern street bikes are a bit funky looking these days but I'll try to read a few tests and articles to find one that would at least work well even if it was ugly. SV is still reliable so if I don't find a new bike, it'll get me from A to B for another year and wife'll do shorter trips on our LS (which is a bit worn these days I have to say).

See Ya in some other thread later guy!  Wink

Yep, see you too..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 12/05/08 at 13:25:57

What happened you guys run out of piss?

Stock belt length is 133 teeth, width is 40mm, I've forgotten what the pitch was, .25"?
I think the closest belt we've found has 135 teeth.

Now if you've found some custom pulley's, you might have something interesting to talk about.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 05:57:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt snapped...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.