Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LS650 Savage. Wont start (Read 340 times)
oddurb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LS650 Savage. Wont start
11/24/08 at 09:50:02

Hi all !

I have a LS650 Savage, year "90 .
The bike has always been running smooth and starts every time, even when kept over winter.
One day it just wouldīt start.... It cranks but it feels like the starter is just spinning without turning the motor.... what might bee my problem ?

The spark is fine, the battery is good, i have tried multiple batteries.
there is fuel, there is air, I have tried choke/no choke, and tried giving it full throttle and no throttle. tried cranking in neutral and in gear....

Is my starter broken or is the coil bad ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LS650 Savage. Wont start
Reply #1 - 11/24/08 at 09:55:00

compression?

then check the starter gear

WWW   IP Logged
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #2 - 11/24/08 at 17:03:09

Check your cam chain.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 11/24/08 at 21:32:03

Post questions in Rubber Side Down, you will get a better response.

Especially since the tech section is for posting how-tos not how-do-I-do-this.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/25/08 at 02:11:52

Now, that you are here...

If starter doesn't engage the gear, it sounds like a hair blower. Constant whirrrrrr. If it does, it's a whirr-thump, whirr-thump, whirr-thump sound. You should confirm that first before we get creative with advices Smiley

Anyhow - how do you know the spark is good if starter doesn't turn the engine? Or you meant the spark plug?

IP Logged
oddurb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/25/08 at 05:20:28

dasch wrote on 11/25/08 at 02:11:52:
Now, that you are here...

If starter doesn't engage the gear, it sounds like a hair blower. Constant whirrrrrr. If it does, it's a whirr-thump, whirr-thump, whirr-thump sound. You should confirm that first before we get creative with advices Smiley

Anyhow - how do you know the spark is good if starter doesn't turn the engine? Or you meant the spark plug?

Hi sorry that I posted it here, Im very new in this forum and I live in Iceland and we donīt have any forum pages for Suzuki in Iceland... This is the only one I like and Im proud and thankful that I can be a part of your community...

But anyhow I tried starting it today and it definitely sounds like a hair Blower, It usually sounded like "whirr thump thump", but now Itīs clearly sounding just "whirrr whirrr whirr squeeky sound" like a blower.

I appreciate all help thanks

Best regards
Oddur

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/25/08 at 06:48:45

OK, in that case - not so good. Either your starter gears or starter clutch is worn (bad) or one of your valves stayed open for several possible reasons (worse).

Now you need to check if starter turns the cracnkshaft. Try to sit on the bike, shift to 1st gear, release clutch and try to BRIEFLY crank. Less than half second. Make sure nothing or nobody is infront of you. Try few times. If bike moves at all, starter and it's transfer seems OK. Then it really gets pitoresque Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/25/08 at 07:57:26

kickstand up too.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/25/08 at 08:05:09

... correction, oddurb - disregard previous post, Savage won't crank with clutch released and if not in neutral... Totally forgot this.

Plan B:

You need another person to check if starter engages crankshaft. He/she neeeds to look through the hole on the right hand side, where the big slotted plug is. Remove the plug, (some oil will creep out) and crank normally (bike in neutral, kickstand up and clutch depressed). If axle inside (crankshaft) turns - then it gets pitoresque... Sorry about this.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/25/08 at 08:32:11

sure it will, just short the contacts of the clutch safety.

On the clutch lever there's a switch with 2 wires coming out of it.

I don't know if they are soldered on or with a connector.

But you should be able to short across the terminals for the test.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/25/08 at 08:44:59

Slick! Slick you are, Verslagen  Smiley  

It's a connector. Two yellow wires comming in. Disconnect and short them ...or drive a single sharp needle through both wires... Don't ask where I picked that up... Smiley

IP Logged
Skreature
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/30/08 at 23:53:22

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, so i'll introduce myself a little:
I'm Jory, 20 years old, and live in Holland. I got my license 11 sept this year, and imediatly started riding my sav. I really like the bike, its not really big, and it's supposed to be easy for a beginner. I
use the bike for school/work traffic, and for fun also, but now i got a problem:

The day before yesterday i cleaned the bike, with some water and stuff, so for so good. The day later i started the bike, started really smooth, and i went riding. It was quite cold, a bit snow and rain here (in Holland). Then, after like 5 km (3 miles) my bike started having trouble. When i needed it to perform, like accelerate, or just going from 80 to 90 km/h (going up from 50 miles/h) it started having trouble. Just like it wasnt getting any fuel, and then it suddenly stopped. I tried to re-start it, but without any effect. Then, when the engine was cooled down i could start it again, and ride for like 7 more miles, then it stopped again. And it wasnt start-able anymore, it just made gun-shot like sounds while starting randomly, exept from that, it made just the sound the bike makes when its starting (except the engine 'taking the spin'. Anyone got any idea what to do, or how to 'cure' this?

Sorry to ask you guys, but remember im a sav nooby Tongue so i dont know a lot of bike stuff.

/edit: i forgot to tell you guys, its just like there's smoke coming from the front of the engine, at the lower front side (like 5 inches below the exhaust connection) Its also possible that it's just water (condensed) but i'm not really sure.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/01/08 at 07:04:43

Try running it in prime, sometimes the automatic petcock acts up.
If that fixes it, then check the vacuum line from the petcock to the carb.  And cracks or loose connection and the petcock will shut off.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 12/01/08 at 20:52:26

Skreature wrote on 11/30/08 at 23:53:22:
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, so i'll introduce myself a little:
I'm Jory, 20 years old, and live in Holland. I got my license 11 sept this year, and imediatly started riding my sav. I really like the bike, its not really big, and it's supposed to be easy for a beginner. I
use the bike for school/work traffic, and for fun also, but now i got a problem:

The day before yesterday i cleaned the bike, with some water and stuff, so for so good. The day later i started the bike, started really smooth, and i went riding. It was quite cold, a bit snow and rain here (in Holland). Then, after like 5 km (3 miles) my bike started having trouble. When i needed it to perform, like accelerate, or just going from 80 to 90 km/h (going up from 50 miles/h) it started having trouble. Just like it wasnt getting any fuel, and then it suddenly stopped. I tried to re-start it, but without any effect. Then, when the engine was cooled down i could start it again, and ride for like 7 more miles, then it stopped again. And it wasnt start-able anymore, it just made gun-shot like sounds while starting randomly, exept from that, it made just the sound the bike makes when its starting (except the engine 'taking the spin'. Anyone got any idea what to do, or how to 'cure' this?

Sorry to ask you guys, but remember im a sav nooby Tongue so i dont know a lot of bike stuff.

/edit: i forgot to tell you guys, its just like there's smoke coming from the front of the engine, at the lower front side (like 5 inches below the exhaust connection) Its also possible that it's just water (condensed) but i'm not really sure.

Hi SK,

Here's another thing you can try:

Clamp the petcock vacuum line shut.  Turn the petcock to PRI and try riding the bike.  If that makes it run good, let us know and we'll guide you through the next steps.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Skreature
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/02/08 at 02:26:01

Thanks a lot guys.

I thought it could be a fuel problem indeed, so i tried to remove the fuel line, to see if its working. It worked, but there wanst a lot of fuel coming trough, so it might be the petcock indeed. Gonna try that this afternoon, thanks for the really great advice! I really didnt think of the pri, or clamping the cable, so thanks, lets hope it works. I'll let you all know!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 Savage. Wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.