ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Belt snapped...
12/02/08 at 07:06:07

johnnie wrote on 12/02/08 at 02:52:03:
Half an hour ago, my belt snapped Undecided What's next? Can it be repaired or do I need to buy a new belt? My bike only has about 20k miles on it, 8k of which I drove, the others were done by the driving school that owned it before me.
Is it normal for a belt to snap at 20k miles? I must admit, I'm more the sporty kind of driver, and I really enjoy feeling all the torques in that 652cc box Wink

Dear Snapped...
It's very unusual for a belt to snap, in fact yours is the first I've heard.
Check fleabay if can wait, otherwise a new one is expensive.
When you get it, we like a rather loose tension.  Adjust the tension so that you can twist the belt 90° between the front and rear pulleys.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Belt snapped...
Reply #1 - 12/02/08 at 10:24:20

Belts go 80k miles on Harleys, should last even longer on a Savage...must have gotten damaged to fail so early...You can't repair it, have to buy a new one.  Bad luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/02/08 at 16:07:56

/good reason to stay off gravel roads!!
dirt bikes have chains....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/02/08 at 23:54:13

i got a belt if you need it. I think they're something like $280 new. 15k mi's. No damage. Either way sorry about your bad luck. Rare for a belt to snap especially with so little use.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 12/03/08 at 00:37:20

Sorry 'bout the belt ... but now time for a chain conversion ... prolly cheaper than buying a new belt!
Good luck!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #5 - 12/03/08 at 01:02:37

Beginners use original belts Wink I'm on the 3rd belt at the moment. They are wear items and may need replacing every once in a while. The original went slightly before 50000 kms but the cheaper aftermarket belts don't appear to last nearly as much. I'd get a thicker and stronger heavy duty belt next if we were to keep the bike and I could be sure there's enough room around the front pulley (there's not much). Your 20000 miles seem quite low, do take care the replacement is aligned and tensioned correctly.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 12/03/08 at 15:49:17

SV og LS wrote on 12/03/08 at 01:02:37:
Beginners use original belts Wink I'm on the 3rd belt at the moment. They are wear items and may need replacing every once in a while. The original went slightly before 50000 kms but the cheaper aftermarket belts don't appear to last nearly as much. I'd get a thicker and stronger heavy duty belt next if we were to keep the bike and I could be sure there's enough room around the front pulley (there's not much). Your 20000 miles seem quite low, do take care the replacement is aligned and tensioned correctly.

"cheaper aftermarket belts" ???

There's no such a thing. There is one maker of the belt for the Savage and that is "Bando;" and there's only one place to get it from, and that is Suzuki.

It is a one-of-a-kind proprietary belt and pulley set made by only one company who will only sell it to one other company (Suzuki). There is no other supplier of the original belt. Several folks (including me) have searched the industrial pulley and belt manufacturers and all have come up empty handed.

If you know something the rest of the world doesn't, you need to share that info!!!  Cheesy

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #7 - 12/03/08 at 23:54:31

Rockin_John wrote on 12/03/08 at 15:49:17:

There's no such a thing. There is one maker of the belt for the Savage and that is "Bando;" and there's only one place to get it from, and that is Suzuki.

It is a one-of-a-kind proprietary belt and pulley set made by only one company who will only sell it to one other company (Suzuki). There is no other supplier of the original belt. Several folks (including me) have searched the industrial pulley and belt manufacturers and all have come up empty handed.

If you know something the rest of the world doesn't, you need to share that info!!!  Cheesy

Belt is model specific, pulleys are not, original pulleys work with aftermarket belts. With slight modification you can use 'one size up' if you get the idea.
However I've never used eBay or such and if it's true there are cheap used original belts, there's little point modifying the bike for generic belts. They were an option back when used parts weren't as widely available and online breakers didn't exist.  

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 12/04/08 at 18:58:38

SV og LS wrote on 12/03/08 at 23:54:31:

Belt is model specific, pulleys are not, original pulleys work with aftermarket belts. With slight modification you can use 'one size up' if you get the idea.
However I've never used eBay or such and if it's true there are cheap used original belts, there's little point modifying the bike for generic belts. They were an option back when used parts weren't as widely available and online breakers didn't exist.  

The belt AND pulleys are Suzuki only items. Believe me, we've been through this before. If there were other pulleys and belts available; the chain conversion would not be necessary to get different gear ratios.

You say there are aftermarket belts available: I say prove it and show us where these generic belts are, and just what modifications are needed to run these generic belts?

There is no great supply of cheap used belts from breakers... People often need a good replacement and Suzuki sticks us up for big bucks by keeping it all in-house. Like I said: Do the world a favor and tell us what your secret is to using "generic" belts...

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #9 - 12/04/08 at 19:25:53

Rockin_John wrote on 12/04/08 at 18:58:38:
SV og LS wrote on 12/03/08 at 23:54:31:

The belt AND pulleys are Suzuki only items. Believe me, we've been through this before. If there were other pulleys and belts available; the chain conversion would not be necessary to get different gear ratios.

You say there are aftermarket belts available: I say prove it and show us where these generic belts are, and just what modifications are needed to run these generic belts?

There is no great supply of cheap used belts from breakers... People often need a good replacement and Suzuki sticks us up for big bucks by keeping it all in-house. Like I said: Do the world a favor and tell us what your secret is to using "generic" belts...

Doesn't anyone run an industrial belt here? I've used them since 1998 or 1999 and know a Finn who put one on in 1993 so this is not ground breaking or difficult. There are a few people using them in Europe. As I said, just go 'next size up'.. If you've searched belt manufacturers, you've probably searched for exact replacement which you won't find. Take the closest match and make it fit Wink
New pulleys would be too expensive to make it worthwhile, for different gearing chain and GS sprockets are the practical choice.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 12/04/08 at 19:44:03

Why do you keep failing to tell us exactly what "generic" belt you are using? It should be easy enough for you to find out if you've done it a couple of times as you claim. Sorry man, but your failure to produce the information of what brand/type/manufacturer's ##'s  etc... etc... is setting off my BS detector.

Yeah, and "through the Internet" I know a Korean who is now a Canadian citizen. He claims to raise the dead with some simple homeopathic remedies; but I haven't seen the zombies walking around, so I ain't believing him just yet...  Roll Eyes Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/04/08 at 20:52:52

Rockin_John wrote on 12/04/08 at 19:44:03:
Yeah, and "through the Internet" I know a Korean who is now a Canadian citizen. He claims to raise the dead with some simple homeopathic remedies; but I haven't seen the zombies walking around, so I ain't believing him just yet...  Roll Eyes Grin  Grin  Grin

that's 'cause he's good......really good.........Buhhhhhhuhhhhaa!....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #12 - 12/04/08 at 23:30:46

Why do you keep failing to tell us exactly what "generic" belt you are using? It should be easy enough for you to find out if you've done it a couple of times as you claim. Sorry man, but your failure to produce the information of what brand/type/manufacturer's ##'s  etc... etc... is setting off my BS detector.

Roll Eyes.. don't the more hardcore Savages with turbos and stuff exist if the builders haven't provided you with a parts list, complete list of tools needed and documented build diary? Half the fun of motorcycling is solving technical dilemmas and finding solutions. One more tip: Minor welding is needed. An angle grinder is handy, although not essential.

If you've contacted belt manufacturers and found nothing, you didn't know what you were looking for. Just find out what you need (the specs of original belt, I suppose you know that?) and what industrial belt is the closest you can get. Then you'll already know the correct replacement and you can feel smug about it. If you find nothing I'll tell you the replacement belt specs.  

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 12/05/08 at 01:44:57

SV og LS wrote on 12/04/08 at 23:30:46:

Roll Eyes.. don't the more hardcore Savages with turbos and stuff exist if the builders haven't provided you with a parts list, complete list of tools needed and documented build diary? Half the fun of motorcycling is solving technical dilemmas and finding solutions. One more tip: Minor welding is needed. An angle grinder is handy, although not essential.

If you've contacted belt manufacturers and found nothing, you didn't know what you were looking for. Just find out what you need (the specs of original belt, I suppose you know that?) and what industrial belt is the closest you can get. Then you'll already know the correct replacement and you can feel smug about it. If you find nothing I'll tell you the replacement belt specs.  

Just more big talk... and nothing to back it up.  It has become a pattern. One that I'm bored with. I just wondered if you would come up with the goods if pressed. Of course you didn't.

I have done the homework before, and don't care to travel that ground again. And though I'm adept with any fabrication tool outside of the machine shop; it sounds to me like re-inventing the wheel. If you have to weld and grind or do much modification work at all so you can use a slightly cheaper, but inferior belt, (by your own admission). What is the point? Sounds like you did a lot of work to degrade the quality of the bike. That type of information is of no interest to me, and best left out of the hands of "beginners" anyways.  Roll Eyes

Not to worry though... I did a chain conversion on one of my Savages, so I know the feeling  Wink.  All that work and expense just to have a greasy old chain. And the gear change sounds like a good idea at first, but when you have two Savages side-by-side to do real A&B test rides... It turns out that the stock gearing is really about spot on for overall use with the bike under load. I wouldn't recommend the chain conversion and higher ratio to anyone unless they are a real lightweight who doesn't pack a lot of gear on long rides. Maybe a skinny long-distance commuter, who likes to cruise at 80MPH. Otherwise, the stock belt is a much better drive system.

OTOH, I've been really tempted to gear one of the Savages WAY down to where the red-line in top gear was about 75-80mph, and have some serious fun with the low gears; tractor torque, and some tight curves!  Smiley Cool

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #14 - 12/05/08 at 05:01:06

Rockin_John wrote on 12/05/08 at 01:44:57:

Just more big talk... and nothing to back it up.  It has become a pattern. One that I'm bored with. I just wondered if you would come up with the goods if pressed. Of course you didn't.

I have done the homework before, and don't care to travel that ground again. And though I'm adept with any fabrication tool outside of the machine shop; it sounds to me like re-inventing the wheel. If you have to weld and grind or do much modification work at all so you can use a slightly cheaper, but inferior belt, (by your own admission). What is the point? Sounds like you did a lot of work to degrade the quality of the bike. That type of information is of no interest to me, and best left out of the hands of "beginners" anyways.  Roll Eyes

I still got a feeling you didn't do your homework and at least decode the original belt, did you? But if you are still sure there are no belts outside Suzuki dealer that would fit Savage, at least without too much work, then be it. Yes, the cheapest generic belts don't last as long as originals. Heavier duty versions could be better. On a positive side, both industrial belts were less noisy than original as the edges are uncovered and both were slightly narrower = less rubbing and somewhat easier to align. Replacements were a bit easier to get (before online shops) and at least they are cheaper. The point was, generic belts are there if someone wants to try one. I never said they were a lot better than original.

Rockin_John wrote on 12/05/08 at 01:44:57:

Not to worry though... I did a chain conversion on one of my Savages, so I know the feeling  Wink.  All that work and expense just to have a greasy old chain. And the gear change sounds like a good idea at first, but when you have two Savages side-by-side to do real A&B test rides... It turns out that the stock gearing is really about spot on for overall use with the bike under load. I wouldn't recommend the chain conversion and higher ratio to anyone unless they are a real lightweight who doesn't pack a lot of gear on long rides. Maybe a skinny long-distance commuter, who likes to cruise at 80MPH. Otherwise, the stock belt is a much better drive system.

I've got used to chain drives again with my current SV and they have their positive and negative sides. On a Savage I may have liked to go slightly taller but not enough to do anything about it. I mostly miss the cleanliness of a belt drive.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 08:40:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt snapped...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.