Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Supermagnetizing your oil filter (Read 1897 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Supermagnetizing your oil filter
Reply #30 - 01/04/11 at 11:33:19

Procycle (www.procycle.us) has a magnet for the DR650 oil filter than should work for the savage.  It is a bit pricey at 12 bucks, but has a really good strength to weight ratio.  You could catch some air on your bike without dislodging the magnet.  Maybe there is a similar magnet out there, just as strong for 5 bucks or less. It doesn't look difficult to manufacture.  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #31 - 01/04/11 at 12:19:04

Is there a reason not to epoxy the magnet to the filter cover?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 01/04/11 at 12:31:09

Once you hold one of these relatively large strong things in your hand and put it next to a piece of steel I think you will be able to answer your own question.

The spring that pushes the filter back into the housing to seat it on the "O" ring is of a fixed low strength.   Magnetic force increases by the inverse square law, the closer you get the stronger it gets.

The answer about gluing the magnet to the cover is "something is gonna move some when you hit a bump" and my bet would be you'd find the glued magnet in full contact with the steel filter can, the little spring compressed & helpless and oil input flow connection at the back of the housing popped open and the oil bypassing the filter completely.

Besides, you want the magnet in contact with the filter can -- when you do this the inner steel core of the filter gets magnetized and acts as the final post paper magnetic trap for the very very fine particles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #33 - 01/04/11 at 12:54:30

I thought the cork strips took out any slack between the filter and magnet. Or is that not what you meant when you wrote, "The tabs both position the magnet correctly AND give it a slight engagement force to the oil filter such that the magnet cannot move at all when the cover is bolted down."

Assuming one could find a magnet of the same thickness as the one you used, wouldn't the filter still be pressed firmly against the O-ring at one end and the magnet-cork-cover at the other?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #34 - 01/04/11 at 13:23:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/04/11 at 12:31:09:
Besides, you want the magnet in contact with the filter can -- when you do this the inner steel core of the filter gets magnetized and acts as the final post paper magnetic trap for the very very fine particles.

True, by sticking the magnet on the filter, you're effectively magnetizing a much larger area that can snag metal out of the oil flow.  I suppose one could epoxy the magnet to the case, but then that would preclude using the donut shaped magnet, because you'd either not be magnetizing the filter, or you filled the whole gap and lost the function of your bypass valve.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 01/04/11 at 16:34:53

The big ring magnet engaged radially to the cover recess and with the face/length crush to the "O" ring it was trapped from in-out movement, securing the magnet from moving in any direction.

With the smaller diameter .250 thick magnet you propose you are giving up the radial control element completely and are trying to keep the face crush in effect but over a smaller engagement surface area.

Try it, and after you run it a while you can see what wear effects show up on your corks, etc to judge if things are moving around on you any.

Don't forget to provide for bypass oil flow --- its a lifesaver when the filter get plugged up for whatever reason.

« Last Edit: 01/13/11 at 09:00:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #36 - 02/12/11 at 22:29:34

For those of you who may be considering magnetizing their oil filter. This is a good place to get neo magnets. It's where I get the magnets for my wind turbine project.

http://stores.ebay.com/Neodymium-Magnet-For-Less/Neo-Rings-Tubes-/_i.html?_fs...

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Fujisawa Rob

We got the thump!

Fort White, FL
Reply #37 - 04/04/11 at 13:50:08

How thick are those magnets?

I always stick a neodymium hard drive magnet on the oil pan of my cars. They don't budge. They're fairly thick. Could one fit in front of the filter? They're free...

86 Savage LS650 (no name yet Wink ) - new commuter- odo claims 14k
89 Isuzu Trooper V6 "Beniko" - spun bearing at 233k
89 Lincoln Town Car "Lucretia" - foul weather ride - 133k
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 08/24/11 at 08:31:04

Folks have been struggling to find an appropriate magnet that is big enough to do the job and still light enough to be supported by the can/spring/"O" ring mounting system.

This one currently is available for $8.75 and it is the original magnet that the trick was worked up with.

================

Price your magnetic drain plugs, they were $17 when I bought mine many moons ago.  They work, but they don't get it all on every pass like magnetizing the oil filter can does.   Awful small magnet for twice the price that this 10 times larger ring style magnet goes for ....

This is $8.75 plus shipping and is a whole lot more magnet.

http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=404

=================

The huge magnet that is shown in the thread is currently unavailable, sorry.   Should it ever come back, we'll put a note in here.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fujisawa Rob

We got the thump!

Fort White, FL
Reply #39 - 08/24/11 at 10:26:42

The last time I changed the oil I stuck three thin hard drive magnets on the filter. The seemed to stay in place fine and are very light.  Hopefully if I cut the filter open on the next change I can tell if they're actually doing anything.

86 Savage LS650 (no name yet Wink ) - new commuter- odo claims 14k
89 Isuzu Trooper V6 "Beniko" - spun bearing at 233k
89 Lincoln Town Car "Lucretia" - foul weather ride - 133k
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 09/23/11 at 13:28:33

This is a tech thread, not a Cafe or RSD discussion -- if you want to fight over the best kind of magnet to use (or none at all) go crank yourself up a Cafe discussion thread and have at it.

This Tech thread is locked to further comments.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:48:16

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Supermagnetizing your oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.