Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ain't whistling dixie no more..... (Read 809 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Ain't whistling dixie no more.....
09/21/07 at 14:29:09

It ain't whistling dixie no more.....
Or....it doesn't sound like a old VW bug any more either.

I was told it sounded like a ATV (ouch!!) and another "friend" said it sounded like his Dad's old Beetle (I admit that it did sound like that whistle the old VW's had just over idle and at a easy cruise speed. )

Had a day off (had to burn up vacation or lose it) so mounted the Dyna muffler I got on Ebay.

It's a little louder than I wanted but it does sound better.

It "sort of" bolted up.
 I didn't get any mounting hardware with the muffler so I had to make a threaded piece to slide into the Dyna muffler mounting bracket to act as a nut.  I used a piece of flat stock steel 1/4 "(zinc plated) and drilled a hole and ran a tap thru to fit the bolt I had.  The stock doughtnut exhaust gasket was too thick so temporarliy used aluminum foil that I folded over several times and then wrapped around the header pipe (not sure where I'm going to look for gasket material).   I reused the factory heat shield so I had to make a bracket to hold the back of the shield (normally mounts to factory muffler).

Here's some pict's of the mounting .

see bigger pict at: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Dyna-Muffler.jpg

Mounted......it fit Yea!!!

see bigger pict at: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Muff-n-pipe.JPG

The mount bolted to the front stock bracket hole

see bigger pict at:
http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/mount.JPG

The heat shield bracket

see bigger pict at: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Shield-bracket.JPG

[shadow=red,left,300]Took it for a drive.....yes bug on the teeth type ride[/shadow]

Performance ? ? ?

Stock'01 pilot jet, and a 150 main (thanks Lancer) with white spacer mod using washers (three metric washers from an old computer (hey, it's a good use for for the old clunker's)). Adjusted the pilot screw after warmed up, also had to adjust the idle a bit.

Well,... when rev'ing the bike it does give some black puff's....but it didn't get black when running.  Actually is a nice gray color.   I think the puff while rev'ing is the fact that the slide is not perfect and doesn't get down fast enough on a quick rev.  

Back fire? ? ?......only if I get on it then let off otherwise it does not back fire on deceleration.  It is much more throatier on deceleration.

acceleration:  Hard to say....but I do notice that it seems better when I lug it (2K rpm's on the tach).  Before it sounded like it was almost pinging or knocking....

Other than it's a bit louder than I wanted,  I am happy I did it.

« Last Edit: 02/27/08 at 10:52:38 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ain't whistling dixie no more.....
Reply #1 - 09/21/07 at 15:27:13

next drop the 5 lb heat shield for close fitting harley type.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 09/21/07 at 20:14:24

i bought the heat sheild from jc whitney and it looks great. i think it was 20 bucks. mine is louder than i wanted too but sounds way better than stock.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/22/07 at 07:06:33

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
next drop the 5 lb heat shield for close fitting harley type.   Grin

...please, don't say "Harley type".

It is much easier on my sensibilities if you just use the terms "aftermarket" or "custom".  

The other phrase is just way too "wannabe", if ya know what I mean Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/22/07 at 07:10:17

Oh, if it's any consolation, when a stock exhaust sounds like a whistling VW, that's a good thing.

Why?

Because when a VW engine whistles, that means it is actually tuned properly Grin

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #5 - 09/22/07 at 19:30:12

Tell you what, I rejetted mine, did the spacer thing, monkeyed around with the belt tension, and took off about 15lbs of bogus bling. It goes like stink now, pulls real fast & hard-BUT- I haven`t touched the muffler. It`s quiet, real quiet, and my ears seem to have actually lost that high pitched ringing I was getting when I climbed off of all my old bikes.

Yesterday I decided to scope out this old colonial cowpath of an abondoned road I been checking out- so I pull in the clutch and coast downhill [motor`s still running] on to the wooded trail, where upon I spy this beautiful young buck [whitetail], rolled up to less than 10 feet away and stared at this dear for maybe a half a minute til he finally noticed me and bolted! Now thats quiet, eh?

I think maybe instead of spending the $$$ on a loud and fancy chrome can, maybe I should be looking for a good deal on a sturdy luggage rack and a shotgun.

B

IP Logged
josh85716
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/22/07 at 22:04:19

nice job! i mounted my exhaust with a car clamp, for good reason too, i need to fix the motor, but cant run it when it was straight piped (stupid sound laws)

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #7 - 09/24/07 at 10:19:53

T-Mack1,
Your pipe looks good.
But I'd like some information on the luggage rack?
Can you let us know who makes it?
Thanks, Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 09/24/07 at 12:35:23

Nice looking pipe & install. I'm wondering if you looked through it before putting it on, to see what kind and how much baffling it had in it? I ask because I've got a similar looking turnout style muffler, except mine has about a foot of straight pipe before the muffler. Mine is really loud! So loud that I didn't leave it on but a couple of hours. I don't want a pipe so loud that it makes my ears ring when I wear my shorty helmet. So anyways, I looked through mine, and all it has is one little round tab of metal sticking up from the side wall to act as a snuffer, and that's all it has for baffling!

You say your turnout is a "Dyna" but I have the straight type Dyna muffs on both of my Savages, so is yours a Screaming Eagle, or just a different model Dyna muffler? I'd sure like more details on exactly what yours is...?  I sure wish there was some way for all of us to quantify how loud our pipes are, short of everyone having to buy a sound level meter!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 09/24/07 at 13:15:07

First,  took the main jet to the 152.5 jet.  After a long ride Sunday, it was a bit hotter than before.  Now has more power definitely.

The Luggage rack is from a friend.  They took it off a Honda CB750 (fm the '70's) and stuck it on a shelf for 20 years.  But.....it's a universal luggage rack because of the sliding back bracket.    It originally had a sissy bar & pad (adjustable) but that went on my former bike ('82 Honda CM250C).  After I cleaned the dust, found the chrome near perfect.  I would search Ebay.  Try using the search text "  Honda sissy bar ''.  

It was about 2 inches too wide, so I cut a section out of the center.  Yes, measured twice cut once (actually measured 3 times).  I used the cut off pieces to attached the halves together.  A piece of All-thread in the back pipe.

see bigger pict: http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Lugg-rack2.JPG

I had to make the bracket  for the rear bracket.  Used a  threaded hole just in front  of the  turn signal screw on my '01.  Used a 1/4" anodized Aluminum L-bracket and piece of medium wall steel pipe.  Also had to replace the turn signal screws to clear the bracket.

see bigger pict at : http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/Lugg-rack-mount1.JPG

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #10 - 09/24/07 at 20:29:48

Thanks for the info on the rack. You do very nice work!
I had a '70 Honda CB750 with a sliding back rest on the rack, so I should have noticed the look.
You have made something stronger than anything I've seen on any Savage.

Thanks,
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #11 - 09/26/07 at 16:54:08

Mac muffler, harley heat shields (2), LOUD

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 09/26/07 at 19:51:31

Rockin John,
  Sorry I missed your questions.  

Yes, the muffler you have sounds exactly like mine.  Little tab sticking down and side wall acting as a baffle. I really like the look.

It was advertised as a Dyna muffler.  BUT.....I think it's a aftermarket muffler because the stamped on EPA noise warning does not  say Harley anywhere.  HD likes to put their name on things when they can.

Loud, yes....I wear a open face full helmet so it's a little deadened.   I tried to add some stuffing to make it quieter.  First used some Stainless Steel "steel wool" from the grocery store.  It was too thin and couldn't take the heat.  Lasted about 10 miles.  Monday I took it apart and tried taking some copper wire and wadded it up in the front. Couple of feet of it (14 gauge, solid, old house wire, ...Yes it was tedious to strip the plastic off).   I'm pretty sure it won't last but it is a little quieter.  SO, I have learned that I can add more baffle and it does get quieter.  Maybe next would be getting some steel pipe and drilling a gazillion holes in it.  It would take the heat.   I figure the sum of the area of the holes should be equal to or greater that the diameter of header the pipe.  The added  turbulence should cause muffling.  I just have to get motivated.

A comment:  I do notice that I'm shifting earlier to keep the the noise down.  Only jump on it once an a while.  Maybe I'll get better MPG.........keep wishing.....too much fun watch the HD riders do a double take.

---
  IP Logged
MAYES
YaBB Newbies

The SAVAGE beast!!!

Ohio
Reply #13 - 05/05/08 at 20:28:45

My bike has a straight through pipe with a fishtail end. The darn thing shoots flames when deaccelerating. It is too loud!!I have a muffler(factory takeoff) of a Harley Sportster. Anybody have a sportster muffler? Does it sound good? Was it hard to install?

97 Savage stright pipe,One loud thumper.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/06/08 at 09:20:23

I put on a similar turnout (screamin chicken something or another............) and the only baffle was a perforated piece of metal set at an angle in the main bore.  I fabbed up a baffle to put a cross piece directly inline with the headpipe.  I cut and bent a piece of tubing so that there is a 1-1/2" round piece for the sound/gases to hit and hafta go around.  I may eventually get a baffle, but I did this while it was still easy on and off.  I tried posting some pice but had trouble.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/27/24 at 03:54:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ain't whistling dixie no more.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.