Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Improved Running (Read 26 times)
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Re: Improved Running
Reply #15 - 09/15/07 at 10:56:30

Ahhh, here we go again w/ the pilot screw thing...I`m gonna get out some carb lit and check myself. I respectfully suggest when we do actually agree/determine which kinda pilot screw it is, we then carve it in stone somewhere in the tech section.

I thought counterclockwise was `richen' but now I just gotta know fo` sure, wild things.......

Bill

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/15/07 at 11:02:24

CCW is richer, allow more gas to be pulled up by engine vacuum.  CW closes the passage, restricting gas flow.

On some carbs the air/fuel mix screw does adjust air, not this one, it adjusts fuel.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #17 - 09/15/07 at 11:05:55

Ayer`s fische lists the screw as an AIR screw......

B

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 09/15/07 at 11:07:57

What they call, and what it does, are not the same thing.  Crazy huh!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 09/15/07 at 11:19:43

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Island -

I'd be tempted to do the main jet and white spacer modification, then uncap the pilot air screw and see how well the bike performs before installing the pilot jet.

Jim

Aloha Jim,
What do you mean uncap the pilot jet?
If you are talking about taking the cap that hides it off so you can turn the screw behind it, that has been done.
I even tried to follow lancers carb instructions...to no avail there was absolutely no difference.
I even removed the float bowl and checked out the main jet and pilot jet. The main is fine, the pilot I couldn't get out because the flathead notch was pretty shredded. Whoever messed with the carb before damaged it.
So that's why I'm overhauling the carb.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/15/07 at 13:44:39

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 13:54:25 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #21 - 09/15/07 at 14:19:17

Really interesting, Dr_Jim.  Perhaps that's why this screw doesn't have the usual idle-speed sensitivity when turned.  When the idle screw is indeed an air adjustment then a half turn either side of optimum gives a noticeable drop in idle speed.  Not so on my LS650 - a full turn either side of 2 out has little noticeable effect.  So I just leave it at 2 out.  Also did the white spacer mod today; shaved down from 2.85mm to 1.85mm with a carbide wheel on my hand dremel tool (a fine mini machine shop).  Hard part was holding the spacer normal to the wheel so it wasn't ground down at an angle.  Now the stumble off idle when cold is completely gone.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #22 - 09/15/07 at 14:56:29

Some fun.

According to; Chilton`s Motorcycle and ATV Repair Manual, 1945-85 [Greg you need this book it`s the Bible of old bike books, alas, no LS650s, but almost everything else, inc most excellent general info & an amazing troubleshooting section -2 copies on Amazon for $20-move quick];

pilot air screws are on the intake side and pilot fuel screws are between the slide and the manifold.....fuel screws turn OUT[CCW] for enrichening.

And Doc you are correct about the mix -up [ha ha can`t help myself sometimes], yes it is confusing ....so are we all in agreement?

CCW= RICH.......CW=LEAN

I`ll chisel it, if you hold the granite.

B

ps, it`s easier to thin that spacer by  loosely placing a blunt pencil [anything with a bit of taper will do] in the hole and rubbing it in circles on a sheet of sandpaper on something flat, hold the pencil like you were writing and check frequently, it rubs thin fast.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #23 - 09/15/07 at 18:16:00

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Really interesting, Dr_Jim.  Perhaps that's why this screw doesn't have the usual idle-speed sensitivity when turned.  When the idle screw is indeed an air adjustment then a half turn either side of optimum gives a noticeable drop in idle speed.  Not so on my LS650 - a full turn either side of 2 out has little noticeable effect.  So I just leave it at 2 out.  Also did the white spacer mod today; shaved down from 2.85mm to 1.85mm with a carbide wheel on my hand dremel tool (a fine mini machine shop).  Hard part was holding the spacer normal to the wheel so it wasn't ground down at an angle.  Now the stumble off idle when cold is completely gone.

I think I'm gonna take the easy way out and do what greenft did:
Quote:
Took out the doughnut thingy on the needle and replaced with a shim/washer 2/3 thickness of original doughnut thingy.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #24 - 09/15/07 at 18:17:40

I sure hope Clymer's refers to the Mikune carb, otherwise I'm gonna be in trouble reassembling the darn thing!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:35:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Improved Running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.