Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Improved Running (Read 26 times)
greenft
Ex Member

Improved Running
09/14/07 at 08:12:32

Hi All,  2004, all stock.  After new plug, clean carb twice, change oil and filter, adjust valves still ran like crap at low speed range.  Okay at higher RPM.  New pilot jet, 55.  better but not good.  Pulled plug to adjust idle jet.  It was turned in all the way.  Took a bit of force to back it out.  Set it at 1 1/2 out.  Better but still sluggish on smooth acceleration from low speeds.  Took out the doughnut thingy on the needle and replaced with a shim/washer 2/3 thickness of original doughnut thingy.  Runs perfect now.  My thanks to all who post on this board. Probably would not have done the doughnut thingy.  By the way, the plug over the idle jet is the same diameter as the doughnut thingy. When you drill the hole to use a sheet metal screw to remove the plug use a bit the same diameter as the needle.  Just luck that I did.  Again thanks to this board.

Greenft

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Improved Running
Reply #1 - 09/14/07 at 08:56:03

An excellent start dude, well done.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 09/14/07 at 10:12:27

greenft wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
By the way, the plug over the idle jet is the same diameter as the doughnut thingy. When you drill the hole to use a sheet metal screw to remove the plug use a bit the same diameter as the needle.  Just luck that I did.  Again thanks to this board.

Greenft  

Are you telling me the only way to get the plug out is by drilling? OY!
I hadn't heard about having to do that, I'm dangerous with a drill!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 09/14/07 at 10:56:31

drill a small hold then screw in a sheet metal screw the n pull the screw  out with a  pliers

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/14/07 at 11:29:11

Once the drill has gone deep enough to have the oputside edge below the surface, decrease the pressure, also, if you will wrap the bit with a few layers of tape, it will stop the drillbit from slamming thru & wrecking the pilot screw( brass) behind the plug

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/14/07 at 17:05:26

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Are you telling me the only way to get the plug out is by drilling? OY!
I hadn't heard about having to do that, I'm dangerous with a drill!
you DONT have to drill..small framing screw for metal studs/track is what i used they have a phillips head on them screw driver in easy 1-2 1/4 turns till it grabs(not TOO far or you hit the pilot head) or the plug spins(easier on newer bikes)pull out by gripping screw head with good pliers/vice grips...  home despot has them but you have to buy 1000 at a  time!!!some hardware stores have them by the piece..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 09/14/07 at 19:38:28

Thanks! what a relief!
I'm pretty triggerhappy with drills, which most of the time is what you need (especially with carpentry). I'm glad to know it's only the pilot that I will hit if I go too far, I'm putting in a new one anyway. Think I'll go see if Lancer got them in yet!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 09/14/07 at 20:08:10

"I'm glad to know it's only the pilot that I will hit if I go too far, I'm putting in a new one anyway. "
I believe you are getting the pilot jet which is inside the carb and pilot mixture screw which is hidden behind the plug mixed up.  Those who know more may correct me  but I am pretty sure they are two different things in two different places
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 09/14/07 at 21:20:25

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks! what a relief!
I'm pretty triggerhappy with drills, which most of the time is what you need (especially with carpentry). I'm glad to know it's only the pilot that I will hit if I go too far, I'm putting in a new one anyway. Think I'll go see if Lancer got them in yet!

Just got em this afternoon...will go out tomorrow morning

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/14/07 at 22:44:13

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
"I'm glad to know it's only the pilot that I will hit if I go too far, I'm putting in a new one anyway. "
I believe you are getting the pilot jet which is inside the carb and pilot mixture screw which is hidden behind the plug mixed up.  Those who know more may correct me  but I am pretty sure they are two different things in two different places
Steve

Now you tell me!
I wonder if I might need to replace that one too??

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 09/14/07 at 22:45:35

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just got em this afternoon...will go out tomorrow morning

HI Lancer, say are there two different pilot thingies in the jet set?
SteveRocket just mentioned there might be another one in there.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/15/07 at 05:22:01

I put in 1 pilot and 3 mains

#55 pilot jet
#150, 152.5, 155 main jets

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/07 at 08:03:31

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 13:55:49 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 09/15/07 at 08:07:48

I had my Savage dialed in very well, doing the same mods you did.

After I installed my K&N cone filter, all I had to do was raise my needle valve a bit more.

It's running better than ever!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 09/15/07 at 10:36:21

Max says, I hate to rain on the parade, but, I believe the idle mixture screw, AKA pilot air screw, controls primarily fuel + or - rather than air although there is usually some air bubbles in the mixture at this point. When you turn it in(clockwise) it decreases the fuel in the idle A/F mixture to the point many engines die for lack of fuel. When you turn it out (CCW) the engine runs richer (more fuel than air for correct operation) and the engine gets an uneven idle and usually some black exhaust.  There has been units that use the air for idle adjustment, but as the A/F ratio by volume is very large that passage and tapered adjustment screw has to be very large to be effective. From the retired auto shop teacher.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:29:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Improved Running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.